Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you can actually post something once a week (between you) and start a new topic once a month. That's amazing. I never could get into the big framed revolvers, Had a Colt Newservice .45 L colt and a 6" m29, couldn't think of a damned thing to do with either one of them. Tin cans, gongs and paper targets don't care what you hit them with, and nobody's going to lug around such a club, they are ridiculously fragile and wear-prone and horrifically expensive to repair. All it takes to lose $300 on one is drop it onto a hard surface. Presto, bent crane, barrel, cylinder pin. Eff that bs. even dryfire will wear out the cylinder alignment parts and put a wear mark on the side of the cylinder, hurting the value by at least $100. Sucker's guns.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Each to his own. I'm pretty much a semi-automatic guy, but I do like my revolvers. Drop anything on concrete and your going to get some damage. I have shot the heck out of an M17 S&W made in the 1930's and it's still going. Same thing for a WWII Webley. I do take care of mine. As far as posting a lot, it is Summer and I'm busy as can be Fishing, Hiking, and Shooting. I'm having a lot of fun with the new Mossberg 464 I bought. With .22's now everywhere, yes even Wal-Mart, I'm going through a brick every couple of day's with rifle, pistol, and revolver. 9MM is so cheap lately that I've been shooting every nine I own, too. The CZ's are my hands down favorites. I was looking at a Glock 17, but I knew it would be a safe Queen. The P-01,PCR, 75, and CZ09 are just more appealing to me.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I for one like my N frames, K frames, J Frames and enjoy shooting them. Also like the semi autos, in fact picked up a hard chromed commander yesterday, have not shot it yet.
Lot of fun making those little tiny one hole groups with the model 41, a neighbors friend from Mass. picked it up an first time he shot it, all were touching. Two barrels for it now, mounted a red dot on newer barrel.
Ordered in a chronograph last week, have not had time to use it yet.
Got some more Glock mags for the 9mm carbine and mounted a red dot on it instead of the scope that had on it.
Shot a ton of 9mm, 38 spl. 41 mag.44 mag. 45 acp an long colt.
Loaded tons of 9mm, 45 acp, 38 spl.
Adapted a 45 Star loaded round kicker on the 9mm Star.
Made the usual road trips to the gun shops.
Been a busy month with gun stuff along with all the usual life things.
Honest finish wear is normal on guns. I do not throw guns on concrete so don't know about that.
Melvin, Mark S. passed away awhile back.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Well Melvin, in case you didn't realize it, it is shooting season. Some of us are busy travelling to matches or preparing for them. I just finished making 120 rds of .32-40 for a match at the end of September. Next match is 9 days away, so I'm looking at installing a new .400 Corbon barrel in my .45 Combat Commander for the first time on Monday and seeing how it shoots, plus zero my .32-40.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Need to shoot my 400 CorBons more, have not had them out lately, too busy with other stuff. Same with the 38 Super. Getting way behind an there is not enough hours in the days, maybe when I retire, oh, wait I did that in 2002!

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
I put a .400 barrel into my Series '70 and ran a couple of hundred rds through it 5 -6 years ago. I bought a .400 barrel for my Combat Commander just before I retired and I'm just getting around to fitting it. Nice caliber but it is easier & faster to load straight walled cases than bottlenecks.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I've a wide range of interests,bur I DO seem to like milsurp semi autos,bolt actions from the Great War era forward.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
This is a little bit funny actually. Got back from vacation tonight, and figured I'd check some online forums while waiting for my wife to get out of the shower. Refreshing to see this freestyle, originless, information-free hostility still popping up occasionally. :laugh:

gee, you guys know SO much you can actually post something once a week (between you) and start a new topic once a month. That's amazing...
I know that 2+2 is 4, I know that elephants are quadrupeds, and I know that water is generally wet. But grownups don't feel a need to constantly pontificate.

Btw John - I was in Budapest yesterday, and on friday my wife and I climbed a mountain to check out the remains of a castle in Slovakia where king richard was held prisoner nearly a millenium ago. Of course, we saved up for the trip and booked it more than a year in advance to make it affordable; that's what long-term goals and planning can accomplish.

How are the latest half-dozen get-rich-quick schemes working for you..?

{edit - really should be "hiked", not "climbed" up the mountain; it's not like we were using ropes & carabiners.}

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Sounds like a fun time! I am hoping to go to Norway in the Spring to visit some friends. How is the house coming along?
Made it to the range yesterday for a few hours. Set up an tested the new chronograph with a couple rifles an my model 27. All worked out right. Also tested new carry commander an the 8 mags for it. Sights right on with my H&G 68 load. Gun perfect as is but I might go to a small stainless ambi safety if I can find one in all this mess called a shop. Knew it was a shooter when FordPerfect shot it to same point of impact, he always shoots low right with how I have my sights set. And yes there is a 22 conversion unit laying here for it, might not use it much as I have one installed on a RI frame.
Need to buy a new camera one of these days.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
...Need to buy a new camera one of these days.
Fwiw, I did that very thing before this trip. After researching into compact point-&-shoot cameras and wanting one that had an unusually high optical zoom, I ended up buying a canon SX620-HS. It's not the newest or highest-end model, but has a 25:1 true optical zoom, which is very good for a pocket camera; and also has a 4:1 digital zoom; giving a total of 100:1 capability, including the digital. I'm not a big fan of digital zooming, but with its 20-megapixel imager, it has a lot of 'spare' resolution to make them look good. (For comparison, even a blu-ray player at full-HD 1080P is only 2.1 megapixel; so this is nearly ten times the resolution of a blu-ray player.)

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
I must be doing things differently, I can't afford to European trips because of the money I spend on the 20-25 matches I attend each year. Here I go this afternoon packing the vehicle for a 2 week trip to a range 5 1/2 hours from home. Starting Saturday, I'll shoot 5 different matches at the Canadian Western Regional SASS Championships. Home for a couple of weeks after that then off to the Canadian Nationals (depending on the fires still burning in the area). Melvin, how much shooting you and the Mrs get in lately?

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I must be doing things differently, I can't afford to European trips because of the money I spend on the 20-25 matches I attend each year…
I don’t get in near as much shooting time as I’d like lately, and never thought we’d be able to do the European vacation thing either; but we got a stunningly good deal on it by booking it in April of 2016, 15 months ahead of time.

I’ve had folks tell me about going on these European river cruises, and they always talk about $10-$20k to do so. This trip was eight days in all, two of which (the first & last) were eaten up with travel, getting there and coming back.

We left Monday morning and arrived in Vienna early Tuesday due to the seven hours of time-zone losses.

Two days in Vienna; with an included guided tour of the city the first day, and the second day just wandering through the rose garden in the morning and an included guided tour of Schonbrunn palace in the afternoon. (Schonbrunn was amazing – far & away the prettiest, most visually stunning grounds I’ve ever been on).

Next was onto the boat going down the Danube, with the first stops being in Melk to check out the 11th-century Benedictine Abbey; and then on to Durnstein, which is where we hiked up to Durnstein castle where king Richard was imprisoned.

Then further down the river to Bratislava, the capital of Slovaka, with a guided tour of the old town area; made up largely of buildings from the 16th to 19th centuries.

Last day on the ship, we arrived in Budapest, Hungary. Took a guided tour on the first day, and on the second day walked around, and took the subway to the internationally-known Central Market; a three-story market building that’s a little hard to describe - basically a combination of farmer’s market, locally-handmade craft stalls, fish market, food court, etc. (Weird exchange rate on their money, since Hungary hasn’t adopted the Euro. They still use the Forint/Florin, with a near 300:1 exchange rate. Lunch for two of us was something like 7,300 HUF (Hungarian Forint); but that only translates into something like $23 US.

Last day was travel back home; where we gained back the seven hours we lost previously.

All that said simply to point out the following – total cost including roundtrip airfare, four day (three night) river cruise, two nights in a King room at the Intercontinental Vienna (typically $240 per night if booked individually), two nights in an Executive King room at the Corinthia Budapest (typically $300 per night), and most meals, was just $2,800 apiece for the two of us. No way we could pass up that deal; it just took being willing to pay up front, more than a year in advance. Sure, there’s some minor level of risk there, but well worth it in the long run imo.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Certainly sounds like it is worth taking the risk. I'm actually looking forward to fit in more matches. My main problem now is I'm retired but my wife isn't. Later this month she starts her transition to retirement by starting a new position where she goes from 5 days a week, to 3 days. This will allow us 2 more days a week to travel and allow us to go to new ranges to shoot. I spend a lot of time in Montana and now we will be able to attend a few matches farther away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts