Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, the boonies can be a rough place, especially when you are carrying it all on your back.

As one starts to cross the 50 year old barrier you're knocking on the door of senior citizenship.

Now, this affects some people more than others. Joshua Slocum was the first guy to sail solo around the world in the 1890's and he did it in his early 50's.

However, sailing, while very much a survivalist endeavor, is also more mental than physical, maybe a 90/10 split of mental/physical, whereas perpetually traveling like a homeless vagabond afoot with just a backpack is about a 10/90 mental/physical split.

For someone rapidly becoming an old fart, the backpack centered 'hobo of the apocalypse' plan is simply a ticket to a tired, painful death from degenerative physical ailments, the elements, and fatigue - all working against you at the same time.

Now, if one is already falling apart, such as dentures, bad knees, coke bottle glasses, reflexes and speed going to piss, etc, if such a person desires to avoid discovering the afterlife as long as possible, then it would make sense to do 2 things:

1) Change your plans - Woo Hoo! A simple no-brainer that anyone can figure out! Well.... almost anyone at least.

2) Be more civil to the younger folk, you'll need them around to keep your aging, falling apart ass alive. If you are too much of a pain in the ass, they just may revive the ancient Sioux tradition of tossing the elderly out into the snow come winter to euthenize them into the happy hunting ground.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
copy! mostrov!

a bulls a$$ / x ring!

i can garentte[sp] i'm not 22, any more , i know for a fact [there still all a feared of me !FOR GOOD REASON!] that i won't even try to run a [5]minute mile[that i could/did @22]

but i'm a hell've alot better at the hipshot/hand-to-hand[training with a$$ holes, OFTEN] than i was in my YOUTH!

and ......oh!...never mind....!!!! if you live long enough...ha!..MAYBE ,,,YOU ALSO CAN STILL TALK.......$HIT.... :dgrin: :headbang:

THANKS, :wavey:

·
Registered
720 Posts
mr,
I am RAPIDLY gaining on the demographic you are describing. I hope I 'm not the one to be cast upon the cold ground outside the tipi, so I try to be nice and afford the benefits to those younger ones who will listen. (I always try to let them ask first).
But, this is surely something about which us olders need to ruminate. Thanks for the thought provoker!
SatCong

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
While I am still barely on the sunny side of 50, I do believe that cooperation among the generations is possible. It just needs self discipline and the willingness to cooperate with each other. Our generation has much knowledge and experience to pass on. Their generation will be the ones to rebuild society if the balloon ever goes up.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
As all know, I have friends who are 50yrs and over. One of the things that binds us is mutual respect and a willingness to listen to each others views. I've had some of the particularly older men try to force their philosophy/values but we usually reached a quick understanding. The hardest men to deal with - for me - are the ones in their early to mid 20's. They think they know it all and no one, especially a woman, is going to tell them a damn thing. We don't last too long.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
As one starts to cross the 50 year old barrier you're knocking on the door of senior citizenship.
Ouch, 50=old age or close to it????????

Me, I will seek out even older folks than me, and I am 49. Sure I want to have some young bucks in the group too, but those older guys have some smarts that will come in handy. Along with those smarts they may have all the prescription drugsyou will need - LOL.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That Sioux solution seems wasteful to me.

Some old far...ummm some older people will be useful to keep around.Doctors/Veterinarians/Dentists/toolmakers & the like.You know,people who have a skill.Those are keepers.Those w/o a skill should also be kept around.Those are a self propelled source of protien. :nyah:

ie.Why raise cattle when they can raise themselves? :dgrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts