Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, what does everyone prefer as a grip on their fighting, self defense, SHTF or here come the Reptoids handgun?

Though for years I've preferred finger groove grips on 1911s I've changed my mind when taking shooting with gloves on into consideration.
Seems to make manipulating the gun for magazine changes more difficult.

So I'm going to these:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Wooden grips made of ebony with the old fashioned large diamond checkering on my 1911A1 45 auto. Wish I had a camera so could post a photo.

RIKA

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Heck, I like the looks of wood for the "pretty" guns, but like rubber for the ones I shoot. Finger grooves have always tended to make my grip feel more secure and feel comfortable to me. I like a fat grip on a rifle, but a thin grip on a handgun.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I really have a thing for Rosewood and Ivory (when I can afford it) on revolvers. On autopistols, I prefer Gabon Ebony, if it's available for the pistol.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
When not using plastic frame guns I much perfer Rosewood checkered stocks for both autos and revolvers. Usually I perfer some form of combat stock design. Houge makes pretty fair generic fit wood stocks, as does Eagle. But there are also some real custom makers that have you send you handgun to them for perfect fit.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
I prefer Pachmeyers myself, most of the handguns I own wear them.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Those darn Pachmayers are so thick and squishy. I can't stand them. Feel like I'm holding a 2x2 and the fingergrips spread my fingers uncomfortably. Sorry I'm so strange. :D

RIKA

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Usually whatever comes on the pistols or revolver, although I will say that a S&W Model 60 round butt with those tiny wood grips surely does need help in the form of a nice meaty set of Pachmyers.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I the grips were waitinf for me when I got home last night. Talk about fast shipping!

They fit the gun great with the exception of the grip screws. This grip looks like the exact same one for the black finished Sig GSR so I probably need some low profile hex head ones; as the originals protrude too much from the grip.

The best part is they are as abrasive/grabby as I had hoped for. I also added a 1" wide piece of adhesive no-slip tape to the front strap, like you find on some outdoor steps. The stuff is a near match to the grips and completes the no-slip surface of the grip frame area.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Houge grips are great.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like them too but like I said in doing some shooting and mag swapping drills with gloves on I begin to notice some dexterity differences betwee one 1911 with them on and one with standard GI grips. Just has to do with my big XL hands.
Everyone should keep that in mind when choosing a grip and choose the best one that works for the individual under all field conditions.

BTW-I just wish the Bianchi "Lightning" grips made for them by Pachymr were still in production.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Everyone should keep that in mind when choosing a grip and choose the best one that works for the individual under all field conditions.
Pretty good advice.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
TODD 3465 said:
Depends. For a field-use gun, you're abolutely right. For a dress-up gun or show gun (ya know, good for them cowboy action get togethers, it's not all about shooting, you need style points too! Or yer rendezvous-type get togethers). Don't leave the fun out, it's not all about what's "tactical"!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
two surest grips I have felt were 1) Simonich gunner grips and 2) the grips on the Springfield Operator, I think? The ones that look like skateboard tape.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Depends. For a field-use gun, you're abolutely right. For a dress-up gun or show gun (ya know, good for them cowboy action get togethers, it's not all about shooting, you need style points too! Or yer rendezvous-type get togethers). Don't leave the fun out, it's not all about what's "tactical"!
The best grips for even those guns that are within a set of rules - such as for Cowboy shoots -are the ones that help it function in your hand most effectively - or in other words that lend themselves to making you shoot straighter. If they look nice that is all well and good, but my guess would be that at cowboy shoots as long as it is realistic to the era and the gun, then functionality would score you more points that looks. Of course you would be limited because it would need be of an 'authentic' flavor for that particular gun but remember it is cowboy ACTION not just a cowboy show. Anytime you are shooting, then the primarty importance should be shooting. If I had to lose some points because of that then so be it. Of course if I could shoot as well with plain or fancy then I'd opt fancy toi get those points.

Then again if the gun will never be fired, what does it matter if they lend to better feel in the hand.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
LOL, don't get me wrong, you don't add to your score by being in character. Style points is, well, what gets ya laid afterwards.

In my experience, the smooth, fancier grips tend to roll the gun back in yuor hand easier and roll it forward easier when you cock it , especially if you shoot "Duelist" or "Gunfighter" style, where you only use one hand to cock and fire the gun.

I haven't gone to any major SASS events, but the little ones run around here are as much about getting together and having fun as shooting. You'll usually spend more time looking at other's guns and showing yours around as you will shooting.

Going for nothing but performance, makes it too "gamey" like IPSC and much less fun. Although I hear it's getting like that in the larger matches.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts