Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

given all the clothing that they get.

580 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Garand 
#1 ·
with debris in between the layers and up on a raised bed, I could sleep fine with nothing else at +10F. So the insulated, sealed, reflective tarp shelter only has to block the wind and give me another 10F degree of warmth to handle 0F. Given the reflective tarp poncho, leggings, hood, breech clout, mittens and booties. and the 10x10 tarp, both stuffed with dry debris, I'm bound to get down to -10F. The hot rocks under the bed trick is bound to be worth 10F more and probably 20F more.

It's only -30f in the later part of the night, for at most the last month of the 100 day challenge, and you can be up tending your nets, etc, using the camera light and the headlamp. So the most you'd have to use the Siberian fire lay for is a few weeks., even if you dont get any snow. Still a huge savings of time and calories. Not risking death in your sleep from CO poisoning, nor burning down your shelter, nor emphysema from breathing smoke constantly for months. The Siberian projects its heat 6 in one direction, so the PEVA clear vertical side of the lean to is safe. Unlike the dummies, I'll have a big roll of duct tape for making repairs sealing the corners of the tarp shelter.

#2 ·
Show some proof you actually DO any of this. Your a liar.

#3 ·
Melvin, what experience do you have working at -30F? Have you ever done it?

#5 ·
https://en.climate-data.org/north-america/canada/alberta/slave-lake-10225/

Alone
ALONE SEASON 7:
Participant Gear List
Alone Season 7 Gear List
Each Alone participant brings clothing, safety, and survival gear to the Arctic. Here’s a list of all of the standard items the participants are given, as well as the master list from which they are allowed to select ten special items.

CLOTHING/APPAREL/PERSONAL EFFECTS
*These items do not count towards the 10 special items, but may not exceed the approved quota for each.

Alone Gear
How does one keep warm in the arctic? Participants are allowed to bring 2 hats.
1 pair of high-leg hunting boots
1 pair waterproof Arctic winter boots
1 T-shirt (short sleeved)
1 fleece/wool shirt
2 wool sweaters
6 pairs wool socks
2 hats (brimmed, wool, fur, Arctic or baseball)
2 buffs or neck gaiter (no balaclavas)
1 shemagh OR scarf
4 pairs of gloves (1 insulated, 1 leather work-style glove, 1 over mitt, 1 thin glove liner)
2 pairs of underwear/briefs
1 insulated parka-style jacket
2 pair of outdoor pants/bibs (can unzip into shorts)
1 pair of fully insulated or waterproof winter pants/bibs
1 waterproof uninsulated shell/Jacket
2 pairs of thermal underwear (long top and bottom)
1 pair of gaiters

#6 ·
look at all that crap, will you? FIVE layers over almost all of you. Size those layers to allow for 1/2" thick layer of debris between each layer and you THINK you could be cold? then add 2-3" of debris between you and the poncho, leggings, etc, made out of the remains of the 12x12 tarp, and 4-5" of debris in the folded 10x10 tarp, tied around you, up on a layer of debris on a raised wooden bed, with a sinkhole for cold air, in a SEALED, insulated, reflective shelter and you THINK you'll need a sleeping bag or a fire? I know damned well that I wouldn't. down to -40F.

#8 ·
there aint no -40 without wind chill on great slave lake before 1 Jan.You dont have to be out in it. That's the late part of the night. I never would be out in it more than an hour at a time, tending the nets and tipup hook sets, once every 3-4 hours. I've worked all day at -20F, feeding cattle, bedding them with straw, pumping water by hand, often in 20 mph winds. If you "think" it sometimes doesn't get that cold in CO at 7000 ft elevation, you're fos. I lived in ILL for 30 years, punks.

#9 ·
there aint no -40 without wind chill on great slave lake before 1 Jan.You dont have to be out in it. That's the late part of the night. I never would be out in it more than an hour at a time, tending the nets and tipup hook sets, once every 3-4 hours. I've worked all day at -20F, feeding cattle, bedding them with straw, pumping water by hand, often in 20 mph winds. If you "think" it sometimes doesn't get that cold in CO at 7000 ft elevation, you're fos. I lived in ILL for 30 years, punks.

so what?

I've lived in IL, and TDY in Canada. I've been in -40 without the wind.
I've been in CO at 11K+ elevation. 7K isn't that big of a deal.

I doubt you've spent an hour at -40. I also think you're lying about the cattle, but we will never know, since you can't even prove simple stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.