Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use a G19 for anything other than concealed carry? The reason I ask is that that seems to be the main category talked about when it's discussed on forums, youtube, etc, but imo it can fill a lot more roles than just that. I don't own a larger glock than the 19, and it's what I carried in uniform when LE, it's one of my main woods 'walking around' guns, etc. If I were to get back into ipsc style competition, it would likely be my pistol of choice. It was my ccw as well as my nightstand gun for a long time, until being replaced by a similar-size gun in the same caliber that I just like better.

It just struck me yesterday that the only niche I seem to see the 19 used for is concealed carry, when it seems to me to be one of the better 'jack of all trades' guns out there.

Super Moderator
John I totally agree with you.
At one time I had a total of three of those and they glock gen 2 17 cut down to a 19 length grip.
Now while I only have one Glock 19 I do see it more of a general purpose carry gun rather than a concealed carry gun only.

Registered
Well, Greg Kinman (aka, 'Hickok45') has described Glock's Model 19 as 'the perfect size handgun'; and, personally, I agree with Kinman's assessment. I do a lot of pistol shooting鈥攐r, at least, once upon a time I did鈥攁nd anything I can hit with a larger semiautomatic handgun I can also hit equally well with a G-19.

When I used to shoot IDPA I noticed that it was G-17's, and G-22's that used to predominate the matches. The shooters who used G-19's tended to be faster at transitioning between targets while shooters with the larger frame Glocks tended to be more accurate.

There were no outstanding differences in either speed or accuracy, though, between similarly skilled shooters. (I saw some really good pistol shooting done with G-34's and 35's as well. Here the longer barrels did seem to offer an accuracy advantage, and 9x19mm helped a lot with split times!)

The only time(s) I ever saw G-22's and G-35's used really well were by pistol shooters who had (proverbial) broad shoulders and strong arms. The rest of the time 9x19mm, and 45ACP pistols would predominate.

I usually had some of the slowest split times between shots; but, then again, I almost always used a G-21, and the 45 ACP recoil slowed me down just a (perceptible) little bit. It was better accuracy that always saved me, and kept my scores up.

With these things said, I have only carried a G-19 for EDC self-defense work on rare occasions. I am just not all that comfortable with 9mm ballistics. Why? Because I've shot way too many heavy steel 'pepper popper' and dense wooden bowling pin targets to ever do that!

Although I DO find the size and weight to be inconvenient, and I would like to carry something the size of a G-19, the vast majority of the time I've got a large G-21 on my belt. True, I can't 'throw lead' quite as fast as an equally skilled pistolero with a 9x19 can, but when I hit . . . I really hit!

(Big heavy 'pepper poppers' still start to tremble whenever I walk up to the line!) 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...I have only carried a G-19 for EDC self-defense work on rare occasions. I am just not all that comfortable with 9mm ballistics. Why? Because I've shot way too many heavy steel 'pepper popper' and dense wooden bowling pin targets to ever do that!
It took me quite a while to get comfortable with 9mm myself. When I was younger, if I carried an auto it was in .45acp and if I carried a revolver it was in .357 magnum; period. But ammunition design has come far enough along for me to not mind the 9mm at all. If I was stuck with ammo from 40 or even 30 years ago, that might be different, but imo some of the stuff nowadays is awfully good. Obviously, to each his own and ymmv.

I pretty much agree with the 'perfect size' thing. The G19 is small enough to ccw pretty easily, but big enough to still work for uniform open-carry. I recently tried magazine extensions on it for the first time, and they make it handle like I assume a full-size 17 or similar would.

...(Big heavy 'pepper poppers' still start to tremble whenever I walk up to the line!) 馃槃
Nothing trembles at my approach anymore; but if they ever re-open the Pizza Hut buffet, that could change...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts