Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Post SHTF value.
I know it's been debated back and forth.
Now again we have no certain idea exactly what a Post SHTF society and economy might resemble. Could be Mad Max Thunder Road,. Planet of the Apes or not much different than now.

All that aside lets look at gold value in medieval times:

Might give a perspective on it's value or not.

Registered
As much as I downplay gold relative to other investments, it could absolutely have value in several kinds of 'shtf' situations. Some Jews bought their way out of jams with it in WW2, FerFAL talks about people using it (even cut-apart pieces of necklaces) for barter purposes during bad economic times, etc. But imo, it's really only those kind of situations where its value shines (no pun intended).

In normal times as a normal investment, it doesn't perform nearly as well as almost any other investment other than bonds sometimes. And in a full-blown, end-of-civilization, live-in-a-spyderhole, "95% of the world's population is dead" kind of shtf that gets bandied about, I don't see why it would have any more value than any other mineral or shiny object. A big part of that is just because that kind of shtf has simply never happened afaik; at least short of Noah's flood. (And in Noah's flood, having pockets full of gold would be a bad thing, not a good one.) Maybe the meteor that killed the dinosaurs induced that kind of shtf and could again, but still don't see it being particularly useful there either.

Super Moderator
I think that if the SHTF scenario is localized - i.e.: there still is a functioning society somewhere, then gold will have value. If the world has gone mad max, then not so much.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I, agree guys and some good points are brought up.
Gold in two forms:
1.) Jewelry that can be easily pieces out like chain. Necklaces or bracelets.
2). Pre-divided and or smaller sizes "coins". Although I haven't looked into it in a long time. There were a few different types of gold coinage being sold from other countries that were small as in around dime size more or less. That looked to be easier to carry or stash in among clothing or other gear.
It does kind of boil down to how much your life is worth don't it?
Once I move I'll probably be discreetly buying silver and also a few pieces of real gold.
Also stores of different types of metals/raw materials wouldn't be a bad idea. After the basics are covered of course.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts