Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

gold's going to $2300 this year

834 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  John in AR 
#1 ·
and $3000 next year,without a doubt. Wifey got stuck in her home country for an extra 2 weeks, cause she tested positive for covid. cost us an extra 2k. So no gold buy this month. I hesitate to buy gold over $2100 now, but that's going to change in a few months, most likely.

#2 ·
Personally these days with prices rising, I'll invest in gas, ammo & food. I have heard that gold is hard to chew on.

Reactions: BigEd and Terry G
#5 ·
Yep, and I'm investing in Lead in a couple of weeks.
Not loaded ammo but for casting boolits again.
I think I still have some basic casting items around here.
Unless they either got "recycled" or flea marketed without my knowledge or remembering.

#7 ·
...I hesitate to buy gold over $2100 now
Even better call now than then, because it's currently $1873; meaning MORE than $200 below that.

Again, not making inherent fun of anyone buying or owning gold; I'm just trying to illustrate the dangers and silliness of making dogmatic predictions. With all the world crap going on, gold may skyrocket tomorrow. If grocery supply chains hit horrific speedbumps as some are predicting, gold may equally well plummet. No way to absolutely know which, much less pin a specific number on it.

To again paraphrase both Warren Buffet and Nick Murray - "The most dangerous and most stupid statement an investor or advisor can make is 'this time it's different'."

#8 ·
And again, gold down. Was $1952 when this thread was started, and instead of going up to $2300 (the 18% predicted gain), it's gone down to $1696; a 13% loss. Oops...

Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

Granted, the year isn't over yet; there's still time for it to change, so while unlikely, it is still theoretically possible. But it would have to:
  • stop its downward trend,
  • climb 15% just to break even, and then
  • continue on up to more than 35% above where it is now
to hit the predicted $2300 mark.

Possible, but very unlikely considering the short amount of time left.

#9 ·
gold's going to $2300 this year and $3000 next year,without a doubt...
"Could" happen, but it would have to jump more than 30% in the next 50 days; and that's not the trend it's been on this year, or even just since this thread was started in March. Since March, it's gone from $2050 down to $1745 today; a net 15% loss.

March:
...I hesitate to buy gold over $2100 now, but that's going to change in a few months, most likely.
April:
Good call, since it's currently almost $200 below that.
May:
Even better call now than then, because it's currently $1873; meaning MORE than $200 below that.
And now in November, time has shown that to have been a very good idea indeed, since it's now more than $350 below that.

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Line

This isn't meant to be mean or pile on, but to show the dangers of making dogmatic predictions about the future. The $2300 price absolutely could still happen. Thing is, a $1400 price could also happen. Put another way to drive home the point, the price is now as close to $1200 as it is to $2300; and that should be a huge cautionary signal. No way to know for sure what'll happen, and it's a mistake to think that we can predict the future with anything approaching absolute certainty.

#10 · (Edited)
Gold was $1952 when this thread was started, and is $1810 today; a drop of 8% or so over the last 8 months. To achieve the returns that were predicted in the OP, it would need to change the trend from losing 8% in nine months, to a trend that gives a 27% increase in the next 17 days. Anything is possible, but that's not particularly likely.

Again, I just point this out to show the dangers of making (and believing) these constant "without a doubt", "gotta happen", "this time it's different" predictions that show up all the time on various "expert" blogs and youtube channels. To quote Warren Buffet and Nick Murray, "the most dangerous and most stupid four words a financial counselor can say to a client are: 'this time it's different'."

The simple numbers of this prediction said that if you invested $100k in gold when this thread was started, that $100k should have turned into $117,827 by the end of the year. Fact is, if someone had actually done that, it would now be down to $92,724. That's very different, especially if that money is important to someone and being counted on for living expenses.

And again I'll point out that the prediction absolutely could still come true. It could double tomorrow. It could also drop in half tomorrow. No way to know for sure; that's the point.

#12 ·
gold's going to $2300 this year and $3000 next year,without a doubt. Wifey got stuck in her home country for an extra 2 weeks, cause she tested positive for covid. cost us an extra 2k. So no gold buy this month. I hesitate to buy gold over $2100 now, but that's going to change in a few months, most likely.
Could happen. It started this year around $1825, went up as high as 2043, went back down as low as $1626, and is at $1805 today. So it only needs to go up $495 (27%) in the next 3 days...

Gold price YTD, from macrotrends:
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

#13 ·
Gold's going to $2300 this year... ...without a doubt.
Obviously should have allowed for some doubt, huh..?

Gold closed 2022 at $1824, not only way below your “without a doubt” $2300 prediction, but even below the $1952 that it was at when you made the prediction in the first place.

If someone had been taken in by your “without a doubt” forecast and bought gold when you made this prediction of an 18% gain, they would have actually ended the year with a literal loss. A loss that’s magnified by the 2022 inflation - because not only would they have had fewer dollars than when they started out, those dollars themselves are now worth less than they were.

So a ten-ounce gold purchase when you started this thread would have been $19,520, and ended the year with a value of $18,240, a loss of $1,280. Simply put, a person would have been more than $100 per month further ahead by simply stuffing cash into a cookie jar instead of believing your “without a doubt” prediction.

The incessantly dogmatic - and consistently wrong - late-night televangelist of the gun and finance world strikes again... :confused:

#14 ·
Obviously should have allowed for some doubt, huh..?

Gold closed 2022 at $1824, not only way below your “without a doubt” $2300 prediction, but even below the $1952 that it was at when you made the prediction in the first place.

If someone had been taken in by your “without a doubt” forecast and bought gold when you made this prediction of an 18% gain, they would have actually ended the year with a literal loss. A loss that’s magnified by the 2022 inflation - because not only would they have had fewer dollars than when they started out, those dollars themselves are now worth less than they were.

So a ten-ounce gold purchase when you started this thread would have been $19,520, and ended the year with a value of $18,240, a loss of $1,280. Simply put, a person would have been more than $100 per month further ahead by simply stuffing cash into a cookie jar instead of believing your “without a doubt” prediction.

The incessantly dogmatic - and consistently wrong - late-night televangelist of the gun and finance world strikes again... :confused:
Who would take economic advice from a man who has basically lived on Welfare his whole life?

Reactions: BigEd
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.