Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a guy come by with some firearms for sale from an estate. The estate's lawyers had set the prices on some guns they wanted to liquidate. Just picked up ...

Scoped (Leupold) Ruger 77/22 - $300
Colt Diamondback 8" target - $350, with box
Colt Commander, Like New - $600

Yea, well, life's rough.

Jon

Oh, and by the way, they still have a Garand that has been custom stocked and appears (didn't disassemble) to have had its barrel floated. The guy was in the hunting and fishing industry, and although I have no proof, I would seriously doubt that it's a reweld. Waaaay to nice. They want $750. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Somebody likes you Jon.

:beer:

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes, folks like us just GOTS to play, don't we!

Man, this little Diamondback is shweet! Colt-logo packmeyers, not a wear mark on it. Gonna do some checking to see how old it is. Serial number is S75XXX.

Jon

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
BigJon said:
Sometimes, folks like us just GOTS to play, don't we!

Man, this little Diamondback is shweet! Colt-logo packmeyers, not a wear mark on it. Gonna do some checking to see how old it is. Serial number is S75XXX.

Jon

i'm GLAD they went to a good home/owner!

i perked up seeing that 8" diamond back, you listed

nice score,BIGJON.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brass hammer said:
i perked up seeing that 8" diamond back, you listed.
Oops. Meant 6 inch. Fingers got all giddy and stuff. :D

By the way, it's been a long time since I fooled with an accurate .38. What do you suppose would be a good plinking round. Wadcutters are a little light for what I'm planning to "plink", so I'm thinking plain-Jane 158 round-nosed lead. Whaddaya think?

Oh, and I would not think that plus-p ammo would be any sort of problem in this revolver, right? Despite its age, it is robust and in good shape.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AND ALSO ... while I'm at it, I have not seen the Commander yet, but from what has been described to me, it's likely to really be a Commander - one of the originals in Coltalloy, not a Lightweight Commander. I know nothing about the Coltalloy guns. Anything to watch out for here on durability (and no, I'm not going to run hot stuff through it)?

Best,
Jon

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Does that Diamondback actually have "target" stamped on the barrel? I know Colt made a Python model like that, but this is the first I have heard of a Diamondback in a target model.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
the last 6" diamondback i saw under glass 'for sale' was $ 350 with the orange

front sight insert? i liked/wanted it, but passed.

i think the 158 gr. swc would serve better than lrn projo's
personally, i wouldn't batter it to much with +pressure loadings.

the lock work is overly complex/delicate.

i've read where L E O 's carrying pythons would ball/bind the actions up with the first 'yank' of the trigger, in a high stress shoot/be shot experiance[they only needed one rd.]
although, i would LOVE to own a 4"/6" python[i never see em' , heck! i'll bet RICH Z is setting on 1/3 of them] ha!

thanks.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
push that horseshoe a little farther up your butt!!

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Garand!

i don't know who/what the horseshoe up the ass was all about!

i thought it was pretty FUNNY all the same[even if it was aimed at me]

i'll try to match your whit/humour :nyah:

thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
after that horseshoe passes, send it to me, don't even bother cleaning it, I need all the luck like yours that I can get... Nice haul.

A guy on my job came into work one day and started selling firearms. He had about 1/2 dozen or so pistols and revolvers. One of them was a Colt Detective Special, a very old one. He also had a few other quality S&W revolvers and a couple of good semi autos. The thing is he sold all of them for about $50 to $100 each. He was a gambler and had some big time problems with collection types, the ones that look and hit like gorillas with accents right out of the Godfather. The bummer of it all was that I was not at work that day, and I never even saw one of them.

You were in the right place at the right time, a great piecve of luck!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
brass hammer said:
although, i would LOVE to own a 4"/6" python[i never see em' , heck! i'll bet RICH Z is setting on 1/3 of them] ha!

thanks.
Well, it's been a while since I have seen one I don't have, but I know there are some out there. I only have one electroless model (in 6 inch) so I need to find the 2, 4, and 8 inch models one of these days. Hmm, maybe I need to go browse the auction boards a bit before hitting the hay......

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rich Z said:
Does that Diamondback actually have "target" stamped on the barrel?
No sir, it doesn't. It's a standard Diamondback. I was just a bit too liberal with my description. 6" too, not 8". I shot her yesterday with some 158 round noses I picked up. At 25 yards stabilized only with my support hand against a tree, I got 2-3 inches out of it. Got to wonder, though, if the previous owner ever even shot the thing. At only 10 yards, the groups were almost three inches to the right. I can't imagine differences in our grips and sight pictures could account for that big a discrepancy at that short a distance. Perhaps Colt just shot it for function before it left the factory, and that was it.

brass hammer said:
i would LOVE to own a 4"/6" python
Yep, they sure are nice bh. I had one for awhile back in my younger days - back when we used to laugh among ourselves that we didn't really buy guns, but rather traded and swapped 'em so much we used to say we just "rented" them. It was a fine handgun of course. The only revolver I still have from that era of my life is a 4" 586 Smith. It was gone through 20 years ago, and it's still tight. Doesn't handle as well as the Colt did, but I'm used to it and still enjoy it thoroughly. The little Diamondback will be a nice addition.

The Commander is supposed to be delivered today. Am looking forward to that too. Oh, can you all give me any info on the integrity of "Coltalloy" (see my earlier post)?

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BigJon said:
AND ALSO ... while I'm at it, I have not seen the Commander yet, but from what has been described to me, it's likely to really be a Commander - one of the originals in Coltalloy, not a Lightweight Commander. I know nothing about the Coltalloy guns. Anything to watch out for here on durability (and no, I'm not going to run hot stuff through it)?

Best,
Jon

Well, whaddaya know. Hmmmm. This is nice. Just got the pistol, and it's a bone-stock, in the original box, and even with the manual. It came with Packmeyers on it, but the thoughtful fellow left the original gold-logo, wood grips and its screws in a little baggie in the box. If the pistol has been shot, it hasn't been shot much. Deep blue is intact, and without a single scratch on it.

I'm having trouble nailing down exactly what I have and in figuring out its date of manufacture. The slide says Commander, without "Combat" or "Lightweight" before it. Serial no. is LWC0354XX.

From what I've been able to dig up on the internet, Commanders were never designated "series 70" because the bushing wasn't changed from solid to collet on the Commanders as it was on the government models. However, the word "Colt" on the left of the slide is in italics, not flat as on the pre-70 guns, and since the serial number starts with "LWC", am I correct in deducing that this is a Lightweight Commander built sometime between 1969 and 1983?

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep. Commander Lightweight made in 1978. Here's a photo of an identical pistol:

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
No clue, really, but Skeeter Skelton did a 5000 rds of ball "torture test" on one from that era, and it only suffered a minor crack in the frame, right at the take down notch. Didn't really hurt the gun any. Since you got a Govt model anyway, just get the lwc smithed up for ccw, if you want to shoot it at all, and do 90+% of your practicing with that, save the wear and fouling on the lwc. At 250 rds a year, the alloy frame will last the rest of your life, without a doubt and all the other parts are the same as the steelframed guns, ie, good for 100,000 rds.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
andy said:
No clue, really, but Skeeter Skelton did a 5000 rds of ball "torture test" on one from that era, and it only suffered a minor crack in the frame, right at the take down notch. Didn't really hurt the gun any. Since you got a Govt model anyway, just get the lwc smithed up for ccw, if you want to shoot it at all, and do 90+% of your practicing with that, save the wear and fouling on the lwc. At 250 rds a year, the alloy frame will last the rest of your life, without a doubt and all the other parts are the same as the steelframed guns, ie, good for 100,000 rds.
Right. I remember reading about the Skelton test, and it was really something like 10,000 rounds, wasn't it? I can't remember. Logically, if one can spend the money to run enough standard-power ammo through a gun to crack its frame, he oughta be able to afford to have the frame replaced!

Yes, the vast majority of my practice is, now, with a stock Kimber TLE that I bought specifically for that purpose. All I'm going to do with the LW Commander (for now) is add a beavertail and change the springs - I am pretty sure the original springs have never been changed out.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
nope, the other half of the test was with a Gold Cup, I believe, or a Govt" model of some sort. Yep, 5000 rds of .45 ball is $1000. A new frame, from Spld or somebody is under $200.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Sketer did 5k and 10k test allot. I doubt he would do 5k on one .45, and do 5k on another one. It would be either one or the other .45.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts