Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

Google Earth + GPS

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DaRkWoLf 
#1 ·
My toughbook came in yesterday and Ive been configuring it for the last few hours. The internal GPS seems to work like a charm, it can figure out my lat/long well (looks like +/- 3 yards or so, Im impressed; its telling me Im somewhere in my room) and its +/- around 50 feet altitude (even if it gets a fix once) as far as Ive experienced in my not so formal testing of it. I just got around to putting google earth on it.

Im interested in using google earths wonderful pictures of planet earth to my nav advantage and also as an alternative method of target ranging. Even though GPS probably wont be around for me to play with post TEOLAWKI, It does have some benefits for now. Only problems are that I have no clue what sort of GPS is in my toughbook (its not in the manual and device manager shows nothing that screams "GPS!") and Google Earth has two options under GPS: Garmin and Magellan, and that I need to buy google earth plus to get the feature in the first place.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Mabye any plugins/hacks/utils that send GPS data to google earth?

Anyone tried ranging with google earth? Howd it go? The numbers for my immediate area are very close my laser readings.

By the way, Im very much liking google earths beta 4.

See less See more
#2 ·
Got any links to that Google Earth program? I've been using a GPS on my laptop for a few years now, and don't even consider driving anywhere where I am unsure of the destination or the route, without it. I use the GPS with DeLorme's Street Atlas and it works just great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.