Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we did a review and made a bunch of changes to our living trust. If you don't have one, and you have people (spouse?) you want to pass your stuff onto when you pass, get one. we had to make a bunch of changes to ours. Shift around some powers of Attorney, etc. change who gets to be executor of what, etc.

It's always good to do a review and see what laws have changed, etc. Make sure everything is on track and proper.

So, if you don't have a trust, get one. If you do have one, maintain it and re-evaluate it every so often.

Registered
Not much has changed since I updated my will last time, except the gov't legislation on firearms.

Super Moderator
Well there's only one person/family named in my paperwork. And it's none of my so called relatives.
Without going into details if I died single a "brother from another mother" gets everything.

If any of the rest of the family, local, think they can swoop in and claim stuff they're in for a shocker.
I've got some items I'd like to see that my cousin Marty gets, or his family, but one might be problematic.
The photos/picture post cards and what are left of the medals plus the books I bought to research them.
Or I leave them to the Polish Museum of America in Chicago.
The problematic one might be the Polish MAG-98 pistol that I have.

Registered
A good Friends Father died. He was Divorced so the Estate went to my Friend and his Sister. His two Aunt's asked to pick out some memento's from the home. Which my Friends agreed to. When my Friend got off work he swung by the home. He told me the nail holes in the walls were the only thing left. An Attorney didn't think he would have much luck with a lawsuit due to the permission granted by the Sister. Made me think.

• Sad
Reactions: Garand and BigEd

Super Moderator
Yeah, that reminded me of a guy I used to work with.
His dad had made him executer of his will. His two sisters were driving him nuts arguing over some of the personal property.
So he just hired an auctioneer then sold the house and property then divided the money between all three of them.
Said he never wants to do that again.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going through some of that. My mother passed a couple years ago and my older sister is the executor. There are two other sisters from her husbands prior marriage. He passed several years prior.

I鈥檓 staying out if it, but the step sisters have been making things interesting, to say the least.

I don鈥檛 care if I get anything, I just want the drama to end. Florida is dragging probate on forever鈥

it鈥檚 not like theres a big estate or anything. Most / all their savings went to health care.

Registered
Went through that about 30 years ago with the passing of my grandmothers sister. I was in the Army posted over a 1,000 miles from her apartment. In the will I was to get the contents of the apartment. By 3rd week after she had passed the apartment had been "looted" by family members including $5,000.00+ of expensive liquor. It took me over 5 years to get a painting that was legally mine from one of my cousins. Left a lot of bitter feelings on both sides.

Super Moderator
it鈥檚 not like theres a big estate or anything. Most / all their savings went to health care.
Understand, that was what I went through with my mother, health care not sibling trouble being an only child.

But my former coworker had to deal with his relatives who didn't understand things like that.
Or, the fact that their parents disposed of certain personal items before they passed on.
Considering how Jim's sisters acted maybe that's why they tried to divest themselves of certain things.

I'll add something else that was a family issue of an opposite deal.
When Grandma Bernardzikowski passed away in Chicago my father was named executer of the will. I need to add we as a family had been in Arkansas awhile.
Well unbeknownst to my Father his sisters decided to jump in and "help".
Well in typical family fashion they threw out whatever they thought was useless junk.鈽
All of my grandparents clothing..... including his uniforms.. And maybe including his helmets and saber.馃槶

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is why we are making sure everything is clearly spelled out and kept up to date. No ambiguity anywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts