Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it from Himalayan Imports! A 15" Chiruwa Ang Khola with the horn handle. It is absolutely beautiful and has a fine balance. Feels good in the hand. Just had to try it out. Theres a wild tree out in the back yard that I've been meaning to cut down but just hadn't made the time. Perfect for the test. Sliced through the 1/2" limbs easily. Whacked through the 1" and 1 1/2" limbs with one try. The 2" and 2 1/2" limbs took several trys but they fell too -- and this is green wood. I almost demolished that tree.

Not even a tiny nick on the blade and its still sharp after all that cutting. I'm going to really sharpen it up a little later. Strange though, it appeared to be sharpened only on one side.

The only complaint I would have is that the karda and chakma (accessory knife and hone) appear to be rather cheap but I was warned about that. Even so they're rather pretty. Now that I have such a fine tool, I can understand why MRostov chose to make his own custom knife and hone. Pride of ownership means a lot.

Some enhancements to the scabbord will be made similar to what Rostov has done. A little case for a sharpener and some survival gear will be added.There is nothing basically wrong with it but it could be improved.

I'm absolutely sold on the Khuk. Its not the be-all, end-all survival tool but it certainly has a valued place in my kit and won't be left behind. If you haven't considered the khukuri, I urge you to take a serious look. You won't be disappointed.

Am going up to deer camp for Christmas and will give that big chopper a workout on some real wood. Will tell both the good and bad about it.

Well, at least some good news. A fine new knife tool is always welcome.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, neat Kent. Thank you! I bookmarked it.

How I'll trade you. Heres a link to Teuf's site with the thread showing how MRostov modified his sheath. He does fine work.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
So,are you to be known as GhurkaRika now?:)

Chop!Chop!Those are some kool knives.

Maybe you can answer a Q?What are the funny cut outs in the blades' edge just forward of the pommel for?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They serve no useful purpose - just ornamental. Supposed to be a symbol for Shiva. Think he is a god of war or death or something.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Cool site Kent.

Congrats RIKA. The HI Kuks are tops. How long did it take to get yours? It took me longer than I had expected to get mine. I didn't know if long lead times are normal, or if it's just that I got the 20", and they don't make as many.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Magnum, I got mine in just 5 days. :beer: Hey, how do you like yours?

RIKA

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Congrats on the Khuk...

On that website... I had never seen a fire piston before... COOL stuff.

cheers

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:
Magnum, I got mine in just 5 days. :beer: Hey, how do you like yours?

RIKA
Well, the 20" replaced my BFK, my machete and my hatchet, so, I guess I like it pretty well! Think of it this way, you saw how well yours chops. Yours weighs about 1.5 pounds. The 20" is five inches longer and weighs almost 4 pounds. Imagine the chopping power on that thing. Although I will admit that their warning was right, swinging the thing gets to be a real workout if you are doing a lot of work with it, but I think it chops better than my hatchet did, so I end up doing less work with it.

Plus, they just look mean as hell. EVERYBODY knows what a Kukuri looks like.

BTW did you do like Mrostov said and whack it on a tree or something sideways a few times to make sure it's not too brittle?

Oh yeah, the "cheapness" of the karda and chakma didn't bother me. I'd rather have the apprentices learn on those than learn on my Kuk. Plus, those are most often used as everyday tools, so they get beat to hell, I think the site even says that most Nepalese have to replace theirs several times over their lifetime. So, for them, there's no reason to make them top notch. The benefit of it, for us fat, lazy americans with too much time who like screwing around with things, it makes a perfect project for us!

BTW did you read the whole site? Man, those people's normal lives would be an unbearable SHTF for most Americans. No wonder they have such a reputation for being tough, eh?Also shows how some GOOD metalwork can be done, even without electricity and fancy equipment. If they get by without slipping into the stone age, we won't slip back that far either if SHTF here. They basically live in the 19th century, which is as far as I suspect we could ever regress.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I'm saving that for my Christmas deer camp test.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I SWEAR I'm gonna make one of those kick ass blades one of these days. I've got the steel, it's just pounding it into shape that screwes me up. When I start making the bend for the pointed/leaf shape belly, the steel at the actual bend gets folded up and warpy. If I just banged it flat it would have all kinds of inclusions... oh, what I would do for a good anvil too!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe this is a dumb suggestion but why don't you pound the metal flat and then cut out the silhouette with a chisel tool. Then all you would have to do is just refine the shape some.

Maybe you're already doing this. I'm just thinking out loud.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
No, that's good. I've tried doing the outline first, then pounding it. I just can't imagine the trouble these guys go through with relatively primitive equipment for probably pennies on the dollar. They must love their work.

Best thing I have found to do the outline with is an angle grinder. I paid all of $40 for mine IIRC and it cuts like no saw ever could in that price range. That'll be my next project (I'm still waiting to get enough blades to make oven tempering worthwile). I'll take pics trying to bang a rough bend first, then cutting the silhouette. Thanks. :D

cheers

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i can recall, liberating a 'anvil' that brought $250[i think that was in my wilder/outlaw days,when takin' down a rivals"pot-patch" was all in a days 'work']

:wavey:

[i made this post to reach my rep points]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts