·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Garand-Thanks for the link I subscribed to her channel as well.

Here's some of what's available locally in picture form. My choices below reflect my "Poor Man's MRE" concept and more towards heat n eat or eat cold if need be. Just some samples pulled out of the storage box.
IMG_20210426_165610128~2.jpg

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Don’t forget the foil pouches with Tuna, Chicken, and Spam.
Vienna sausages in cans, deviled ham, etc.

You can put together a decent meal plan with decent shelf life.

I do a mixture of mountain house, grocery store, and bulk food buys. A dehydrator can also prove useful. There’s plenty of YouTube videos of people dehydrating all kinds of meals, including spaghetti.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I like any dehydrated items that have a minimum 5-10 year shelf life before any possibility of spoilage. Yes lots of water is required, but you are not spending vast amounts of money, year after year on the same items. This gives you the opportunity to use your discretionary income on other preps.

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think there’s different approaches for different uses. For backpacking I’m not as worried about shelf life, as I intend to eat the stuff on the trip. I also try to vary my menu selections each trip, with the exception of o few comfort food items.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I just use Koolaid, powdered milk, oatmeal, almond butter and jerky for long hikes. I detest having to cook even at home. I'm a soup, sandwich and salad guy. I can carry more food, or be 1-2 lbs lighter, by not having to bother with cooking gear.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I just use Koolaid, powdered milk, oatmeal, almond butter and jerky for long hikes. I detest having to cook even at home. I'm a soup, sandwich and salad guy. I can carry more food, or be 1-2 lbs lighter, by not having to bother with cooking gear.
When's the last time you took a long hike? 1970?

Reactions: Garand and BigEd

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
What do you consider to be a long hike? Day trip or overnight?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
He's no concept of it in reality.
Besides probably no clue on using a map and compass much less something like a pace counter.
That’s funny, I just found a set of Ranger (pace) beads I made last year. They were in one of my gearboxes. Gonna have to go out and check my stride again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts