Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, RIGHT. :) Let's SEE ANYBODY react, raise enfield from low ready, hit (2) 12"x24" torsos once each, 25m, 5m apart, in 1.3 seconds, as is readily achieved with an AR. :) Let's see ANYBODY get 1 hit on each of 4 such torsos, 3m apart, at 10m, in 1 second flat, timed from the first shot. :) The ONLY fools who "think" a bolt action is fast have NEVER seen what a good AR man can do, inside 200m, on multiple targets, much less repeat hits on the same target. From bipod, repeat hits at 50m, on a 10" circle (ie, head on prone man) are .25 second each. Same thing on 100m torso. the bolt action has no HOPE of being less than 4x as slow.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I don't know who the "GT Clown" is, but the British Expedtionary Army (1915) shot the Germans flat with Enfield MK III's. The Germans thought they had engaged a Battalion of machine-gunners. (A Battalion is like a whole lot of Soldiers). :laugh:

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
It has been my experience that the Enfield is far faster into action if you are in sub zero temperatures for weeks at a time. The M16 might be a great firearm for jungle and urban use but up north, it leaves a lot to be desired! Always use your firearms within their limitations.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Hmmm. I really want to dissect this tirade.

"yeah, RIGHT. :) Let's SEE ANYBODY react, raise enfield from low ready, hit (2) 12"x24" torsos once each, 25m, 5m apart, in 1.3 seconds, as is readily achieved with an AR. :) Let's see ANYBODY get 1 hit on each of 4 such torsos, 3m apart, at 10m, in 1 second flat, timed from the first shot. :)"

10 and 25 meters. Thats pistol range. I can get my 45 into action faster than you can unleash your AR. Oh yeah, I'll think of you the next time I'm attacked by torsos at short ranges.

The ONLY fools who "think" a bolt action is fast have NEVER seen what a good AR man can do, inside 200m, on multiple targets, much less repeat hits on the same target. From bipod, repeat hits at 50m, on a 10" circle (ie, head on prone man) are .25 second each. Same thing on 100m torso. the bolt action has no HOPE of being less than 4x as slow."

First we have the "inside 200m" caveat followed by use of the mandatory bipod and the multiple hit mantra. Seems like we have a 'guru' who is severely limited in shooting ability as well as the use of tactics. Every statement is carefully crafted to favor the AR yet he still doesn't prove his case.

Glaring by its lack of comment is the power factor because he continuously comments on 'repeat hits' with the AR but ignores the fact that 1 good hit from the 303 Brit or the 308 is sufficient to put an enemy out of action.

Seems like "slow" is the operational keyword. Some folks think that they can't miss fast enough and that noise will scare the enemy. Others go with good shot placement and a weapon that delivers a wallop.

Thanks for an illuminating post Andy.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
What happens when you get hit in the thigh with an Enfield?

It blows your leg off and then it kills you.

What happens when you get hit in the lower abdomen with an Enfield?

It blows your guts out and then it kills you.

ONE round... get the picture? And it can do this at 400m in the harshest weather possible.

For someone who preaches stealth and avoidance, you sure talk a lot about 25m engagements.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Pretty pathetic response gunkid/erika. You have obviously limited ability at longer ranges, therefore if the balloon ever goes up a skilled marksman at 400 meters when he sees you, he will own your a**! Much like someone who has planned for survival at sub zero temperatures. If you don't think that we own what we shoot or talk about, lets play a game. I'll show my toys, then you show your toys!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Oh goody. Another angry post. I like those.

"ONLY if u're stupid enough to be in open country, in daylight and holding STILL, is the enfield or anything ELSE going to be firing at you(much less HITTING you) at 400 yds."

The Enfield has a better chance of hitting an enemy than that shorty CAR of yours. And why do you have to be in open country and in the daylight? I think that the BA would be very effective in the woods too.

Hey, stupid, shtf=no med care, and a hit in the thigh, guts or wherever with a 22 lr is going to kill you too.

Uhh, yeppers. But a hit with a 22 isn't going to kill you immediately (no guarantee with the large caliber CF either but many times more likely) ... anyway the enemy can still fight with the 22 in him while the 303 or 308 will probably bring the fight to an end.

In thick cover or darkness, that slow assed pos bolt action is bad news, and yes, such short ranges are the NORM, IF you know enough to stay in thick cover or darkness.

Not even you, guru, can guarantee that you will have the cover of darkness. If I want you, I guarantee that I will have your head on a plate and that goes double for the men here.

YOUR problem, dude is YOU are happy with blowing smoke up people's asses, and have them TRY to use crap you'd never even bother to own.

I don't own an Enfield only because of finances and I haven't found a nice one yet. Your braying makes me want one badly. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to crip along with the M38 Nagant and the Springy.

I am HONEST, and tell them that even with skills and ability like MINE, it's still going to be "iffy", even with a canned CAR, good cover, water, etc.

I would not brag about skills considering all the tactical boo-boos you've made lately - as well as your choice of weaponry for general purpose use.

Sorry Andy, I learn whereas you apparently cannot.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I see we are getting the Kerry response from gunkid. Mention the fact the .308 is far more likely to get one shot stops and gunkid runs off the not being out in daylight. What a laugh.

Hits count gunkid. We all know the 11" CAR is not a reliable stopper in anybodys view except someone who lives in dreamland. The Enfield has won SOF 3 gun competition against 7.62s and 5.56 rifles (it was a jungle cabine in case anyone where wants to know.)

Since gunkid does not know how to throw the bolt of a boltaction rifle, I can understand how clueless he is. Plus that bad back, I bet he CAN'T throw that bolt fast nor from his shoulder.

Only in the closes ranges in built up areas does the simi-auto come into it's own. They do there, but when the ranges go out farther and the shooter knows his rifle, it's the shooter that counts, not some piece of equipment.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
BTW, most people carry a more robust version of a first aid kit. It's not hard to keep a wound from getting infected. The whole "scratch by a .22 will kill you, SHTF" is pure squat.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
and holding STILL, is the enfield or anything ELSE going to be firing at you(much less HITTING you) at 400 yds.
BS, history, reality, etc, says you're FOS.

andy said:
Hey, stupid, shtf=no med care, and a hit in the thigh, guts or wherever with a 22 lr is going to kill you too. In thick cover or darkness, that slow assed pos bolt action is bad news, and yes, such short ranges are the NORM, IF you know enough to stay in thick cover or darkness.
The many survivors of real shootings on the frontier in the 1800's say you're FOS.

Now, any hit by a .22 may kill YOU as you continuously pour boiling water into the wound....... that combined with how you're not carrying sh^t for a medical kit and you plan on foolishly travelling alone.

Short ranges like that are the norm in built up areas and modern gunfights involving pistols. Also, nowadays everyone is just carrying pistols, maybe a shotgun. In a prolonged crisis, lots of people will be packing rifles.

You get out onto the open country and you'll be open to long range shots. You can't skulk in the bushes for years on end. Sooner or later you're going to get into a real fight unless you retreat to a really secure area (like the bodacious spot where I'd like to head).

andy said:
YOUR problem, dude is YOU are happy with blowing smoke up people's asses, and have them TRY to use crap you'd never even bother to own. I am HONEST, and tell them that even with skills and ability like MINE, it's still going to be "iffy", even with a canned CAR, good cover, water, etc.
Skills and ability? You're over 50, you've been on ice now for going on two decades, you never practice and train, you never take real forays into the field, and you have an admitted flinching problem. Luke Skywalker you ain't.

You talk like I've never even shot an Enfield.

I've owned several Enfields, including one of the Irish Enfields. They were brand new in the cosmoline, found in the early 1990's in a warehouse in Ireland. The last batch of No4 MkII rifles ever built for the British Army, but never issued because the Mau Mau Rebellion ended. The manufacturer's tag on mine said '1954'. I paid $170 for it, new, unfired, in the wrapper and cosmoline. I used a gallon of diesel and a quart of rubbing alcohol to get that sucker clean. (the MkII is the final update where the trigger was affixed to the receiver instead of the triggerguard, the MkI* is a MKI upgraded to a MkII configuration).

There is a simplistic but highly functional and lethal beauty about a new condition Enfield. One thing about that rifle, no matter how bad it gets, it'll fire. It'll also punch through things a 5.56mm won't. If I had to chose a bolt action as a fighting rifle, I'd chose the Enfield.

Actually, I'd own one in a heartbeat as my primary weapon if I was in an environment where it was optimal, such as in a marine environment or in climates that experienced extreme cold weather. I get my boat like I'm planning, I'll probably get a new manufacture AIA Enfield No4 MkIV in 7.62mmNATO that uses M-14 mags with a picatinney rail and then scope it using milspec quick detach rings. I'll also get a Remington 870 pump shotgun with ghost ring combat sights.

Regardless of climate, if, right now, I had to outfit from scratch and I only had about $150 for my primary centerfire rifle, I'd probably get a surplus No4 MkI Enfield, f^ck the SKS.

One thing I've learned is to never be married to metal. It's also one of the reasons I'm not overly obsessed with customized machining to pistols. To me guns just come and go. The world is filled with guns, even where they are 'prohibited' you can always get one if you want one.

Never get too attached to any particular firearm, as it's just metal. It is not an extension of your manhood or ego. Time comes to part with it, ditch it, or sell it, whatever, do it without hesitation and then get another one.

The extra gizmos, like beavertail safeties, etc, usually only make a decisive difference anyway in Mack Bolan novels. On a pistol, for instance, the only thing I'm usually concerned about 'smithing' or replacing are the grips, the trigger, and maybe the sights. On an M1911, maybe also the feed ramp.

If you have to do much more than that to a pistol, then you probably have the wrong pistol.

The tigger is the most important. I also like to pay particular attention on the grips for my knives and pistols. Water, blood, and other things can make things slippery and a weapon difficult to properly grasp in your hand. Human blood is about as slippery as motor oil. Not just the other guy's but your's too. Even minor wounds can sometimes get everything dangerously slippery with your own blood.

As for the AR-15/CAR-15, it is a good rifle for many circumstances, but not all of them. It's just a weapon like many others, not the holy grail.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Gunkid/erika, I've shown mine, time for you to show yours! Or are you willing to admit that they are fantasy guns only?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Garand, the picture on the left is of the 3 of the finest battle rifles of the 20th century.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I sure like to thinks so! And 2 of the 3 were carried by Canadian soldiers in the 40's and early 50's

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Now if you just get a Springfield. . .wait, I didn't say that, wait for me to get mine first :dgrin:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Never fails to amaze me....the frustrated eternally 10 year old middle age guy gets his panties in a bunch over the prospect that one single tool is not the only one in the box.WTF, I LIKE Enfields.Except for the reliability/ gas return system, I LIKE the M16/AR platform;I just prefer a larger (or at least grerater case volume)bore(AR 10,anyone?).W
While we're on this subject let me slip partially off topic;thoise new proiduction Enfield #4MkII's in .308 from Australia;did anyone learn anything about them?I recall a few of them being referenced in a PN post a few months back7(I;m a moron!) I accidently deleted the link/web address.
Hey,what's not to like? A serious rifle cartridge ,easy to feed(.303 is not always there the way .308 is),bone reliable,and when you work at it,capable of accurate aimed fire.
BTW-I think that they were/are available in stainless as well :nuts:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
The No4Mk4 Turnbolt, bolt-action, detachable magazine feed rifle with 60 degree bolt rotation. Rear locking bolt with detachable bolt head. Safety catch locking both firing pin and bolt. Military style two-stage trigger. CNC milled receiver of military-ordnance steel. Hard chrome lined chamber and barrel. Stock of premium teak with steel buttplate and sling swivels. No accessories included with this model. 25.2" barrel with an average weight of 9.1 lbs. Around $875 list, they wouldn't give me dealer pricing and stopped answering any of my questions when they realized I wasn't an FFL.

The No4Mk4T Same features as the No. 4 MK4 except upgrade to walnut stock and glass bedded target barrel (not chrome). Accessories included are picatinny rail, M1907, leather sling, waxed canvas case, spare magazine (M14), front sight adjustment tool, and a 4x32 scope. .308 caliber with a 25.2" barrel and an average weight of 9.5 lbs. List approx $1100.

M42 Tactical Match rifle in .308 caliber with New Guinea Mahogany stock and extra cheek piece. Blue printed action with glass bedded heavy Match Grade barrel (not chrome lined). Includes the same accessory options as the No.4 MK4T in addition to a wooden carry case. .308 caliber with a 27.6" barrel and an average weight of 8.2 lbs.

Not sure the list price on these, I lost the little sheet they sent with the catalog.

These are NOT C&R rifles, so you'll need to do a transfer with an FFL.

Tristar Arms M10 rifles

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Magnum , I've been offered a Rock Island Springfield from a very close friend. I just don't know where i'd find the time to shoot it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am AR-less right now, but the last one I had was a pretty incredible piece of equipment. I set an 18 inch HBAR flat top Bushy up for close-mid range IPSC three gun. I used one of the new Holosights, AK-47 muzzle brake, and a JP trigger. I got pretty decent with the darn thing. andy talks about shooting 2 targets once each at 25m in 1.3 seconds. I know his credibility sucks around here, but I can do that, believe it or not. At 10 yards I can hit them twice each in under 2 seconds from the low ready. He also talks about shooting 4 targets at 10m one shot each in one second. Those are only .33 transitions and I can do that too.

If you haven't had the chance to see someone like Taran Butler, Mike Voight or Bennie Cooley rock with an AR you are missing out. It's damn near frightening. In fact, on the typical IPSC pistol course, those guys can shoot the COF faster with an AR 15 than most folks can shoot it with their pistol. Then again, most folks are C class shooters. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts