Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I've owned and shot ARs, M1As, Mini-14s, AKs, SKS, Enfields, Mausers, Springfields, M1s, M1 Carbines, FALs, G3s, and many others.

If we are talking about target shooting where targets don't move nor shoot back and hits don't count, then the AR does shoot faster than the Enfield.

If, on the other hand, we are talking about AIMED fire at moving, ducking, crawling people who are shooting back at you and you are trying to actually hit them and not just keep their heads down, then the Enfield shoots just as fast as the AR.

The miliary is far more interested in fire and manuver and thus keeping their heads down is more imporatant than hits.

Gunkid is just so ingnorant of that fact, just like most facts, that it's not supprising he put such a stupid post out on the subject.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The Enfield can punch through cover and get someone far better than an AR.

But, of course, in some people's limited thinking, once you can't see someone, you have no idea where they are. Sort of like a weird version of adult 'peek a boo'. "Golly, he just disappeared behind that darn tree, now I have NO idea where he went!"

·
Registered
549 Posts
Count me as one ignorant POS right along with andy. My competition AR's all shot minute of angle or less. Out to 200 yards I can shoot very accurate aimed fire much faster than any one can hope to manipulate a bolt. Common sense seems to have been replaced with the deep seated hate you all have for gunkid. Yeah, he's one goofy guy, but an AR is a faster battle weapon than an old Enfield.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
The AR might be fast but at sub zero sustained temperatures, the Enfield works, where the AR doesn't. Personally I'd never live where it hits -40F without one.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
My Alarums and excursion guns are plain old Colt SP-1's. One collapsible stock 16" barrel and one full size 20". Thet are not "tricked out" in any way. KISS priciple for me. The point, I think, was not that the century old SMLE design was better, but that it was a proven design that would alway's work. I would not feel ill armed with my Enfield, but going out the door I would be grabbing a AR-15. I don't live where it gets -40 below, thank God, but I have heard that with dry lubricants the M-4's and M-16A2's function well in sub-zero temperatures.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
i think part of what was being argued is at rifle range, if you are taking aimed shots, a bolt gun is not much, if any, slower than a semi. Try it, put soem targets up, preferrably reactive ones, at 300 yards or meters depending if you're "culturally diverse" or not and time yourself on HITS with and AR and an Enfield. If you know how to properly handle a BA battle rifle, you'll find your times won't differ much between the two. As the range increases, the semi advantage decreases.

Now if you want to argue using a rifle at pistol ranges, a semi will be faster, yes, of course it will. But shooting at 10-25 yards, doesn't "prove" the AR is better than any other semi auto, it's just constructing a strawman argument to prove a bad premise.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ankeny,

It's not that the AR can't be shot fast, or accurate, but it's the targets that shoot back don't stand still or expose much and that spreads out the time between shots.

Unless it's close range and snap shooting where the simi-auto shines, the bolt is not all that slow.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Ron, try to get it to work after you've been out in the bush for a week in those temperatures, humping over hill and dale. Taking it out for an afternoon on the range during the winter is not a serious reliability test. My M16 in Alaska was degreased then sprayed with dry graphite, sorry, didn't cut it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey guys, I missed the deleted threads. I thought the discussion was about bolt vs semi at under 50 yards.

Garand:

That's what I was wondering. I switched to FP10 because the RCMP said it passed their tests for cold weather use. Then again, that's police work with a well maintained gun going from hot to cold. Probably not -40 either. Under arctic fighting conditions, I doubt anything but a bolt gun would be serviceable. Even then, I wouldn't be suprised to see extractors crap out.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
During my 1st trip to Alaska during the tourist off season (February), the enemy force were the Eskimo National Guards men up there. They made mincemeat out of us, surprisingly the were issued Garands at that time!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.