Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a SHTF or TEOTWASWKI scenario, what gun gear, besides the gun iself and the ammo, would you suggest one should stockpile. Cleaning gear, oils, etc and why? Thanks for the help. I've been reading some of the old posts and it seem like a lot of you have some good info to offer. I will probably ignore the posts from Gunkid and .223 Fan.

·
Registered
720 Posts
cb77,
Depending on your weapons, you may want some redundancy or even a parts/springs kit and the tools required to install same. Light sources from rechargable battery types, with solar recharger, to cylalum sticks are good to have. Anything that dissipates moisture, and diifferent types of ammo pre-loaded into maked mags are handy for mission specific requirements from foraging to defense, etcetera...
Topo maps and compass, portable storable shelter/ protection from the elements, there are some survivalist sites that will give some pretty good ideas.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
As for specific gun gear, Definitely your cleaning kit. I'd also suggest you bring at least one spring set per weapon, and the proper tools (and instructions, if needed) to DETAIL strip those weapons and adjust sights, etc.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Springs, pins, the tools needed to replace them. Also, things like JB weld or accuglass jell can be useful to have in your kit.

I was on a hunt a few years back and dropped a rifle while climbing up a rock face to get to a plateau where I knew the elk were at. (it was the only way up that didn't require crossing a lot of open ground).

The wood stock broke. I was able to repair it good enough to continue the hunt, using JB weld and some cammo duct tape. The drop didn't affect the zero of my scope at all. (gotta like them leupolds).

Had I not carried the JB weld in my kit, the hunt would have been over for that day (I had a spare rifle at camp). As it was, I harvested a nice cow elk.

:devil:

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Talk to a competitive shooter, who shoots the firearm that you have chosen. A person that has dropped 10's of thousands of rounds through a particular firearm will know, what breaks, what gets lost, what works, what doesn't.

Talk to a gamer, they are always trying to get an edge, and someone is always trying to come up with another way to separate money from their wallets. If its new and shiney most will buy the accessories.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
U CAN'T carry the kitchen sink. By the time you've

survived needing to fire the gun at all, there will be lots of guns and ammo laying around, waiting to be picked-up. For the lames who don't believe that luminous sights, trigger job, scope, etc have any value, just pick up another gun. For those with a properly-outfitted AR, there will be AR's or M16's laying around, too. So the idea that one needs to lug around 10 lbs of "fix it" stuff, or that you will be able to ACCESS same, that you've cached, is pretty far fetched. For instance, exposy-compounds are basically RUINED by being exposed to freezing temps, before they are fully-cured, and some aint worth a damn if they get frozen after being-cured, too.

A spare bolt, complete with firing pin, extractor, spring and pin, ejector, gas rings, etc, will fit in the pistol grip of an AR. That's all I bother with, but then I'm a world class pistol shottist, who advocates the carrying of a pair of pistols, one of which is a canned .22lr, as well as avoiding open country in daylight, having a.22 unit for the AR, having a can on the AR, etc. In others, needing to fire less than 10% as many rds as bozos who dont know to use such precautions.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
andy said:
survived needing to fire the gun at all, there will be lots of guns and ammo laying around, waiting to be picked-up. For the lames who don't believe that luminous sights, trigger job, scope, etc have any value, just pick up another gun. For those with a properly-outfitted AR, there will be AR's or M16's laying around, too. So the idea that one needs to lug around 10 lbs of "fix it" stuff, or that you will be able to ACCESS same, that you've cached, is pretty far fetched. For instance, exposy-compounds are basically RUINED by being exposed to freezing temps, before they are fully-cured, and some aint worth a damn if they get frozen after being-cured, too.

A spare bolt, complete with firing pin, extractor, spring and pin, ejector, gas rings, etc, will fit in the pistol grip of an AR. That's all I bother with, but then I'm a world class pistol shottist, who advocates the carrying of a pair of pistols, one of which is a canned .22lr, as well as avoiding open country in daylight, having a.22 unit for the AR, having a can on the AR, etc. In others, needing to fire less than 10% as many rds as bozos who dont know to use such precautions.
When did you declare yourself "World Class?" You haven't fired a weapon in over twenty years.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
IDIOT, Fed. U CLAIM to know so much about me,

should KNOW, then that the ATF KNOWS I was practicing a lot in 1998. I KNOW what world class ability is, unlike you LIARS. :) It didn't take me even 2 full weekend s to be back in shape, after 12 years of not having a gun, so why would it take much, after only 6 years, hmm? You dont even know what world class IS, much less how to get there.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
should KNOW, then that the ATF KNOWS I was practicing a lot in 1998. I KNOW what world class ability is, unlike you LIARS. :) It didn't take me even 2 full weekend s to be back in shape, after 12 years of not having a gun, so why would it take much, after only 6 years, hmm? You dont even know what world class IS, much less how to get there.
Another angry outburst caused by being caught in a lie. Andy, you don't have the emotional control and cool head to be a world class anything except in your imagination.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Laying around? Maybe during the course of a major pitched battle, but not afterwards - the winners will either destroy them or take them.

one on one engagements - same thing.

All game will be gone in a month, but people will just leave weapons and ammo laying around.

Okay sparky.

I wish you'd get your end of the world scenario straight.

:devil:

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
andy said:
Are you saying you have been handling firearms, John? Your proficiency is current because you have been practicing recently? How would you define your recent shooting?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts