Arms Locker banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys know my passion for fixing and restoring old guns. Thought I'd tell you about a gunsmithing book I just found. Its called Gunsmithing the Guns of the Old West by Dave Chicoine. It covers repair and restoration of almost all guns used on the Frontier between 1836 and 1905. Now Dave Chicoine is nationally known for his fine restorations of old Smith & Wesson revolvers as well as Colts and other makes. He even works on the newer S&W's made up through WWII. You're probably thinking "I don't have any interest in old guns". Actually, revolver-wise, there isn't a great deal of difference in the internal workings for a gun made in 1870 and nowadays. The principle is basically the same.

The part thats most interesting to me deals with metal restoration and the different methods of refinishing. Also when to restore and when not to; that info alone could save you thousands if you're thinking of having a rare piece buffed and hot blued. He also goes into great detail on wood repair and restoration. An example of how you could use this info would be if you had a pair of rare, valuable grips that some moron oversanded. If you just tossed them in the trash, you could be throwing away several hundred dollars. The book shows how to make an almost invisible repair and make them good again.

The part about mechanically troubleshooting and repairing the old revolvers has information carryover that applies to modern guns too.

I'm really enthusiastic about the book and have already used some of the tips and tricks in my own restorations. For about $23.00 plus shipping, its a buy that I highly recommend.

RIKA

Attachments

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
coming from you Rika thats a double 1+ for the book. i'll check into it mite could just use one myself. thanks for the info.:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts