Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just because THEY can't figure out how to do such a thing doesn't mean it can't be done. The 223 rifle, using softpoints is an AWESOMELY effective anti personell combo, at pistol type ranges. It's every BIT as likely to succeed as is a Blast of 00 buck or a 12 ga slug. in other words, a chest hit that fails to stop a man is a 1 in 100 FLUKE.

Well, the 70 gr, 2300 fps (2400 fps from a 5" barrel) .460 Split Nose is every BIT as devastating a blow as the 223 sp rifle load, and that's PROVABLE, on animals. Smack a big dog with it, and he goes on his ass, every time. By "big dog", I mean 80 lbs and up. Factory .45 ACP 230 gr jhp's USUALLY can't even RELIABLY put down a 40 lb dog, and 357 jhp's fail too frequently on 60 lbers. That's ESPECIALLY true with the 158 gr loads. There's just not ENOUGH expansion and power present.

The 460 Split Nose, with its 800-900 ft lbs, 4x the frontal area of the 223, and the 3 (overlapping) temporary cavities of the pre-segmented Split Nose, the 3 separate permanent wound channels, mean you don't HAVE to have the near-3000 fps impact of the 223 sp, in order to get the same tremendous shock and tissue damage.

Also, out where the 70 gr Speer 223 sp IS down to 'only" 2300 fps, it still does a FAR better job on big dogs than do 357 jhp's, much less the far less powerful .45 jhp's, with their sub 1000 fps, barely expanding performance.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
If the balloon ever goes up and I have to face feral dogs with my .45, I have no doubt that a 230 grain "Montana Gold" JHP travelling at 900 fps will put a skinny starving mutt down.

The secret is in how much you practice, since you don't, your better off with a shotgun!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
just because THEY can't figure out how to do such a thing doesn't mean it can't be done. The 223 rifle, using softpoints is an AWESOMELY effective anti personell combo, at pistol type ranges. It's every BIT as likely to succeed as is a Blast of 00 buck or a 12 ga slug. in other words, a chest hit that fails to stop a man is a 1 in 100 FLUKE.

Well, the 70 gr, 2300 fps (2400 fps from a 5" barrel) .460 Split Nose is every BIT as devastating a blow as the 223 sp rifle load, and that's PROVABLE, on animals. Smack a big dog with it, and he goes on his ass, every time. By "big dog", I mean 80 lbs and up. Factory .45 ACP 230 gr jhp's USUALLY can't even RELIABLY put down a 40 lb dog, and 357 jhp's fail too frequently on 60 lbers. That's ESPECIALLY true with the 158 gr loads. There's just not ENOUGH expansion and power present.

The 460 Split Nose, with its 800-900 ft lbs, 4x the frontal area of the 223, and the 3 (overlapping) temporary cavities of the pre-segmented Split Nose, the 3 separate permanent wound channels, mean you don't HAVE to have the near-3000 fps impact of the 223 sp, in order to get the same tremendous shock and tissue damage.

Also, out where the 70 gr Speer 223 sp IS down to 'only" 2300 fps, it still does a FAR better job on big dogs than do 357 jhp's, much less the far less powerful .45 jhp's, with their sub 1000 fps, barely expanding performance.
pretty much any rifle at pistol type ranges is going to be devastating.

As to the rest, well, I'm happy for you.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
...The 223 rifle, using softpoints is an AWESOMELY effective anti personell combo, at pistol type ranges.
pretty much any rifle at pistol type ranges is going to be devastating.
Good lord; no doubt. "A rifle, at pistol range, is devastating." Stop the friggin' presses... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
But what's gonna happen to our little excitable boy if someone tags his ass from 300 +/-ysrds? Or even 100yards?
Or on the nightmarish distance ,for him at least, of 500-600yds?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
But what's gonna happen to our little excitable boy if someone tags his ass from 300 +/-ysrds? Or even 100yards?
Or on the nightmarish distance ,for him at least, of 500-600yds?
what's going to be funny, is it will be a 12 year old girl at 1,000 yds standing in the open, using a .308

1 - 6 of 6 Posts