Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GB, are you aware of anyone doing development research on the old M.B. Gyrojet patents from the late 1950's? How about the Dardick Tround patents? Both were extremely innovative but miserable failures. I remember reading that the Gyrojet was tested by the military but rejected because of inaccuracy. The Dardick pistol failed because it was so radically different that gun buyers shunned it.

Thanks

RIKA

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
The Gyrojet also had "range" problems. As it accelerated, it gained in energy, until it reached its maximum acceleration point, at which point it had built up enough energy to be worthy of the "jet" in the name.

First problem was that up close, it hadn't had time to accelerate, and so had disappointing power at the muzzle.

Second problem was that while at its peak acceleration it had devastating power, once it past this "maximum" acceleration point, since the propellant had all been used up, the projectile was now an empty shell, and wouldn't travel well at all. Picture shooting an empty 9mm fmj jacket with no lead core; that's about what it ended up with. Almost no mass for momentum, so the power would now drop off very disappointingly.

Basically it had a "sweet spot" shooting distance, at which it had great power (don't recall the numbers), but if shot much shorter or longer than that, it was disappointing.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yes, I am familiar with research on Gyrojet and Dardick type projects.

The Gyrojet principle was examined for use in survival flare guns. A similar idea has been explored for a grenade launcher that would be fitted to a standard military rifle. Sadly, the Gyrojet type research was extremely limited and may have been discontinued by now.

The Dardick Tround took a funny turn. It's not being seriously considered for small arms, but it may be the wave of the future for rapid-fire, defensive anti-aircraft cannon. The beauty of the Tround is that the shape is well suited for externally powered automatic cannon.

The cartridge is very space-efficient in a magazine. As the cartridge rises to the feeding position, an externally powered rotating cylinder, with "V" chambers on its periphery, scoops the cartridge from the side. A sleeve surrounding most of the cylinder hold the cartridge in place while it is fired. A some point in the rotation the sleeve has an opening, allowing centrifugal force to eject the empty case. The overall configuration of this gun is that of a revolver cannon.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for bringing me up to date. Probably someone will dream up a new kink and both will become viable one day.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
There are two groups working on the gyrojet problem and have made some ground breaking in roads to some of the problems. I don't know much about their goals or what exactly they have done.

Mike

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I always thought that the gyrojet concept could be adaptable to something like a 12ga, you'd have enough space to work with - maybe do a two component propellant, something to clear the weapon and then something like modern solid rocket fuel to take over and accelerate the projectile. (I think you'd have corrosion problems with the rocket fuel.)

Be interesting to see what develops.....

:devil:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Aslan said:
I always thought that the gyrojet concept could be adaptable to something like a 12ga, you'd have enough space to work with - maybe do a two component propellant, something to clear the weapon and then something like modern solid rocket fuel to take over and accelerate the projectile. (I think you'd have corrosion problems with the rocket fuel.)

Be interesting to see what develops.....

:devil:
If "Dragon Breath" shotgun rounds work in a 12ga, no reason a gyrojet won't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts