Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

Hammerli Trailside .22

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Rich Z 
#1 ·
Darn!

There was a dealer with one of these guns on the table at the Tallahassee show today (Saturday), but it was a used gun and the guy wanted $300 for it. When I got home, I checked prices on some web sites, and that actually wasn't a bad price at all for it.

So now I am toying with the idea of running back there on Sunday to see if it is still there. I always have doubts about buying used guns from dealers, but I have gotten some real nice pieces, so I guess it's just the chance you have to take. Of course, I have bought some real lemons as new guns, so there is no guarantee either way, I suppose.

That gun sure feels nice in the hand and the sites line up very easy when brought up quickly. Could be an excellent squirrel plinker.

Any bets it will still be there?

#2 ·
Well, I went back on Sunday and that Trailside was still sitting on the table. Couldn't find anything visually wrong with it, so I wound up buying it. It's a rare event when I can find a gun I want under $500, so I didn't even haggle the price with him.

Now, if I can just find some time to shoot the darn thing......

#4 ·
My initial impression is quite favorable for this gun. Really just seeing if it will shoot at all so I didn't try to do much more than that with it. Seems to shoot slightly to the right of point of aim. The one I got is the fixed sight version, so I may have to drift over the back sight a tad. Fits real nice in the hand and is real comfortable shooting regular long rifle ammo.

However, the gun doesn't seem to like CCI Stingers at all. It will shoot them OK, but only the first two in the clip. The third one won't fire, and I have to wind up prying it out of the chamber. Happened to me three times, so I can take a hint. No Stingers, please. The gun kicks quite a bit with the Stingers, so I expect shooting them would shorten the lifespan of the gun. Yellow Jackets seemed to work OK, but again, the kick was substantially greater than with regular long rifle ammo.

Trigger pull is excellent. Very light and crisp. I would pleased as punch of every gun I had provided a trigger pull like this one.

All in all I think it is a very nice piece of hardware. I think I may try to spend more time playing with it this weekend if the weather doesn't chill down too much.

So, knowing what I know now, would I have bought that gun? Yes, no doubt I would.

#5 ·
Glad to hear that you found something you liked and at a good price.

Probably could have haggled him down a little I am sure, especially on a Sunday, close to closing.
That is when I always run my best SALE prices, don't wanna carry anything home, LOL.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

#6 ·
Yeah probably. But my problem is that I know what it is like on the other side of the table when I am selling my critters at reptile shows. Sometimes it gets real tiresome having people trying to beat you down on prices all of the time. It is actually a pleasure to have someone pick up something they want, whip out the money, and pay for it without any haggling. So if the price is reasonable and what I am willing to pay, I just go with that, and let the seller have a pleasant experience as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.