Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
bookwriter,

9mm muzzle velocity = 366 m/s

Same speed if the gun came from the mid-sixties, other variables are more important.

Yes, there are a few fully automatic handguns, but not many. The Glock 18 is the most recent. Fully automatic handguns jump around too much during firing. The first couple of shots head toward the target and the rest go into the ceiling or tree tops.

All fully automatic handguns from manufacturers have had a selector switch.

Until the 1960's the average 9mm handgun weighed about one kilogram. In the 1960's, aluminum frames came into use on some new models and their weight was 3/4 of a kilogram. In the 1980's, the Glocks were introduced and due to their synthetic frames they weigh typically 2/3 of a kilogram.

The "12" with shotguns refers to the inside diameter of the barrel. Specifically, it means "12 gauge". The name comes from the fact that 12 lead balls of that same diameter would weigh a pound, hence a 20 ga. is smaller in diameter. Twelve gauge is about 18.5 mm.

Three round burst limiters are used on some fully automatic handguns such as the Beretta 92R. Traditionally, no computer chips are used, it's done mechanically using a cam and ratchet.

The average 9mm clip depends on the pistol's layout. There are two types, single stack and double stack. Single stack clips hold all of the cartriges in a single column. Double stack clips hold the cartridges in two, side-by-side columns. Single stack clips usually hold eight or nine, while double stack clips usually hold 15. Obviously, double stack clips hold more, but they require a thicker grip and therefore are less concealable.

To eject the clip, you will usually push a button on the left side, below and behind the trigger. Some European pistols, such as the Walther P-38, use a small catch on the underside of the grip.

Most military guns are Parkerized or anodized to be a black or dark gray color.

The "9mm" is the diameter of the bullet on a 9mm pistol. It doesn't tell us any thing more.

Caliber, or calibre, is the term refering to the diameter of the bullet. For example you might say,"The .38 caliber pistol had been fired three times."

The hole where the bullet comes out is called the muzzle.

I am happy to answer questions!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The Stechkin was chambered for a slightly different 9mm cartridge than the 9mm NATO. It's cartridge is known as the 9x18mm or 9mm Makarov. The muzzle velocity is 340 m/s and its bullet weighs 4/5 of the 9mm NATO bullet weight.

jamullins made a good suggestion with the Stetchkin as it was used by some Soviet security agencies. The drawback of the pistol was its size, 225mm long, and its lack of control on auto due to its light weight, about one kilogram loaded. It holds 20 rounds and fires at a rate of 750 rounds per minute on automatic.

Soviet agents of the post WWII-1968 era were known to have used Walther PP's and PPK's from various sources, and small Czech CZ pistols. CZ .32ACP pistols were recovered from Soviet personel during the U.S. invasion of Grenada.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The various Warsaw Pact spy/secret police agencies also developed ordinary looking devices that could inject or fire poison. One of the better known examples was an "umbrela" that fired a 0.5mm steel ball with two pits containing ricin.

Trotsky was murdered in Mexico City by a Soviet agent with a rock hammer.

Usually with automatic weapons, it's not the muscle but the fact that the recoil is a fast pulse. I hold the forearm of an automatic weapon with a lighter grip than normal. I literally let it sit on top of my left palm. With my right hand, I hold a "handshake" grip and fire short bursts.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
bookwriter said:
Me again. More Q's

Okay, I have just shot four bullets from a double stack
clip, which containes fifteen rounds, so there 11 left. In full auto, how long would it take me to fire the rest? (the more numbers the better)
If the pistol can fire full auto, the rounds will be gone in about a third of a second; as most full auto capable pistols fire at a rate of about 2000 rounds per minute. In the case of a selective fire pistol that has a 3-round burst limiter, it will require four separate trigger pulls to fire 11 rounds. At 2000 rounds per minute rate, a three shot burst sounds like one shot.

The first thing that I would do after unholstering would be to check that I had the selector in the desired position and a chambered round. If time permitted, I would withdraw the magazine (clip) and glance at the witness holes to estimate the number of rounds.

In order to be concealed, a large select fire pistol would likely be in a shoulder holster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.