Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever did much pistol shooting while wearing gloves?

Not just shooting gloves but general purpose field gloves, work gloves, insulated gloves etc?

I just did some shooting today with and with out a pair of gloves I've been testing as general use field gloves to keep in my BOB's.

Shot my Glock 26 and 34 plus my AMT Hardballer 1911. Of the 3 only the 34 had no significant point of impact change or increase in group size. That was good to know as they are, I own 2, my designated BOB pistols.

Both the AMT and the Glock 26 shot low, about 8" when I fired them while wearing gloves at 25 yds. So anyone else ever try this?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Yeah, not a lot, not much call for it here. It definitely helps to have a gun with a HUGE triggerguard (love the Ruger's). I think you see more of a difference if you squeeze a trigger with the crease of the joint, than if you squeeze with just the pad of the trigger finger.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The only gloves I have are heavy leather work gloves. Smallest mens gloves I can find. Most women's gloves are light gardening gloves. Never shot with them using a handgun. I just remove the r/h glove when shooting so I can feel the trigger.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
slowfire accuracy aint the issue. If you have TIME,

you can remove the glove. It's SPEED work that REALLY shows how badly you lose dexterity and "feel" while wearing gloves. Ski gloves or driving gloves are about the best, but the best deal is to keep your bare hands in your pockets,, on a nice warm pocket pistol, in a pocket rig, If you have to draw with gloves on, and the range is anything like beyond 6 ft, you' might be better off just using hand to hand techniques, because taking off the glove, drawing from a belt rig, under a fastened coat, is going to take 2 full seconds or more (to a chest hit). You can charge 20 ft in 2 seconds and cave the guy's chest in.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
During early spring, late fall and in the winter I always ensure that I have a pair of Nomex pilots gloves with me. I also use these gloves at work during the winter months. They provide me with the manual dexterity that I require when "deting up" and a solid feeling on the trigger when I shoot rifle in cooler temperatures.

During my first trip to Alaska, in the winter I got frostbite badly on most of my fingers, just changing the magazine on my M16 without gloves. It still bothers me today during extreme cold. It is very obvious here, that some people have virtually no field time and lived exclusively in an urban enviornment.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Only guy I ever shot and I was wearing gloves. Like Andy said if you have time you can take it off, and that is what I did without even thinking about it - I just took it off. Funny thing was it was still in my left hand after I shot him, and I guess that is why my 2 hand hold felt so funny and the recoil so light.

Now I shoot with gloves whenmever we qualify in the winter, and of course when I hunt. I have bought some nice warm gloves only to find - to my disappointment - they did not fit the trigger guard of my carry piece or of my hunting gun. This is an important issue. You may by a pair of gloves that you can just get into the trigger giard, and they seem accpetable to you. Then you shoot the gun, let's say in a defensive situation and double tap the bad guy. You ascertain he is down for good and take the finger out of the trigger guard showing good gun safety. Suddenly, just before you remember to decock, you spin around when you hear someone running up behind you. You place your finger into the trigger guard and boom the guns goes off. Why - well because it was in single actiona nd that big glove pressed enough on the trigger to set it off. It can happen, I have seen a gun at the range go off just because of this. Sure it just fit in there in double action mode, and now the trigger is back for single action mode so there is more room - but maybe still not enough where the glove does not exert pressure on the trigger. Where the glove compressed before on the double action trigger, it may be enough pressure on a single action even with the larger amount of room. Gloves are a quirky issue. Any glove finger should fit into the trigger guard area without touching the trigger. If it does not, then it is too much glove or too small a gun. You decide which an change accordingly.

As for a change in accuracy, there should be none while wearing gloves if they are a good fit. There will however be a definite change to how easily the controls such as mag release, decocker/safety will operate. There is also a big difference in how easy it is to draw and reholster you weapon from a snapped holster or other holster with retention device, same goes for mag pouches. As to the mags themselves, they will be a bit more difficult to grab etc....

Practice with gloves even in warm climates. You never know when you may have to draw and shoot, you could be on a vacation to the frigid northland.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Another important thing is that the gloves need to fit whatever you may carry such as pistol, shotgun, rifle especially if you are an LEO. I have gloves that fit some pistols yet do not want to fit a remington 870.

If they don't fit all guns, or not even any guns, you will have to take them off, and in some places like North Dakota I guess this could be an issue for which you also need to train.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glenn- Thanks for the detailed reply. This is an area I feel is often neglected when discussing shooting and SHTF as we all will probably be spending more time outdoors whether or not we live out of a back pack or have a "fort".

BTW-The gloves in question are made by Gates and have some stretch type material on the back in a camo pattern. The palm side are a seude type material with a thicker leather reinforcing in the palms. They fit snug but not overly so.

In doing some dry firing with the 1911 and the gloves on I've noticed it wants to pull the front sight down as the hammer drops. Found a grip method to correct, now just to drill until it becomes automatic when the gloves are on.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
One other thing to be careful of on gloves is the material. When firing a pistol the material may get caught up in the slide. happened to me at the range with very snug fitting (or so I thought) Isotoner Gloves. I think it was on a tap/rack reload drill or something like that and somehow piece of the material went in between the slide and the frame and that was it - as the slide rode forward it pulled the material with it or pinched the material and the gun jammed. I don't recall the exact siutuation but just that it jammed the gun somehow along what I describe. Easy enough to clear but maybe not so with another instance of the same thing.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
yet another GOOD reason not to live where it's cold,

or for sure, not to STAY there if shtf. :) I know idiots who have the choice, to move to Mexico if shtf, and they choose to run North into the MOUNTAINS. :) In cold country, best use one of the spray plasticizers on the trigger, or find your finger STUCK to it some day. I've lived with an M16, in the Korean winter, and that slit finger on the Army glove is a JOKE, man. It BADLY gets in the way , for any sort of speed work at all. Which is how I know Garand is fos about his "experience" in the field with battle rifles. :)

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The problem (for you GK), is that Garand has a lot more credibility than you do. He also has a LOT more time in cold climates with a battle rifle than you do.

The Army glove of wich you speak, is the US glove. I don't recall Garand ever saying he used such. Once again, you assume things or insert facts that don't exist. (Which also negatively impacts any credibility you think you may have.)

If you'd pay better attention and have a dialogue without resorting to insults, you'd be much further ahead.

:devil:

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
I started using issued pilots gloves for working with explosives during the winter in the early 80's. They worked so well that it was natural to start use them shooting in the winter. Then I discovered that they fit beautifully under the arctic mitts we were issued. One shake of the mitt, its off, you shoot with
the nomex gloved hand then your back in your arctic mitt once the tactical situation allows. I have no doubt that gunkid/erika's limited experience in Korea was as follows; Stick loaded mag of 5 rds in pocket. Sling rifle. Shove hands in pocket, shuffle around. Take hands out of pocket 12 hours later, turn in rifle. Nomex gloves allow me in -20F to -30F temperatures to do this;

Attachments

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
TODD 3465 said:
Has anyone here ever did much pistol shooting while wearing gloves?

Not just shooting gloves but general purpose field gloves, work gloves, insulated gloves etc?

I just did some shooting today with and with out a pair of gloves I've been testing as general use field gloves to keep in my BOB's.

Shot my Glock 26 and 34 plus my AMT Hardballer 1911. Of the 3 only the 34 had no significant point of impact change or increase in group size. That was good to know as they are, I own 2, my designated BOB pistols.

Both the AMT and the Glock 26 shot low, about 8" when I fired them while wearing gloves at 25 yds. So anyone else ever try this?
Shooting with gloves on can be a problem. I have lined my grips with skateboard tape to prevent the gun from sliding out of my hands if I am wearing gloves or if I get sweaty or bloody.

Good topic.

Mike

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Probably the most important thing when shooting with gloves is to use a pair that fits your hand well. Too big, and they'll more easily get caught up. Too small and they don't allow enough circulation, and your hands get cold and numb, while further impairs your control.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I hate shooting with gloves. The best deer I've ever seen, at least a 14 pointer, I missed because I was wearing Army gloves, woolen insert, leather shell. I snapped off a shot too quickly, missed and couldn't fire again because the glove was too thick to let the trigger re-set.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
As we get older, I find that when I'm getting ready for a match, I look for 3 pieces of gear. First is a pair of basket ball knee pads that I wear under my jeans, a pair of flexible elbow pads and a pair of cycling gloves with a thin leather pad. Unfortunately parts break these days and it would be embarrassing to be carried off a stage.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I'm used to shooting my rifle with gloves, my bow and pistols, not so much...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts