Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 110 gr ball bullet has a Ballistic Coefficient of .181, and started at 1900 fps. At 200 yds, it's down to 1200 fps. That's 350 ft lbs, and no expansion at all. In fact, it's no expansion at all at the muzzle, where it starts with 900 ft lbs. At 200 yds, the 30 Carbine ball bullet is falling like a stone ,and drifting in the wind like a balloon.

A 10" 223, with a good 60 gr softpoint handload, starts at 2650 fps, and still has 2050 fps left at 200 yds, still expands the softpoint VIOLENTLY in flesh, and has 550 ft lbs. So yes, it's TWICE as likely to suffice as the 30 Carbine ball rd, and with a scope, at LEAST twice as likely to get the hit, too.

So which IS it, old man? Either the 30 carbine wasn't much at ALL, or the 10" 223 is PLENTY(given the right ammo being used in it). Make up your mind, old man, cause you CAN'T have it both ways. You aint in the military, and neither is anyone else here. Military in CONUS can certainly have their own 223 sp reloads, too, and that is 2/3rds of the militar(and almost ALL of the National Guard, old man. So it sure looks like you're fos, one way or the other, old man.

·
Registered
160 Posts
People have been killed with pencils too, that doesn't mean they are a good tool for that.

Go learn something, anything about terminal ballistics, sometime.

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
While I would not personally choose to use the M1 carbine in a defensive capacity, I won't discount Hard ball's experiences either. He has also proven that the .357 magnum is an excellent defensive handgun also. I also remember he told me that among the other firearms that he purchased when he got home was an M1 Garand.

·
Registered
139 Posts
polesmoker said:
People have been killed with pencils too, that doesn't mean they are a good tool for that.

Go learn something, anything about terminal ballistics, sometime.

I have bin stabed with a pencile ( in the arm ) wasnt fun.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Hard Ball was also an artillery observer, not a frontline grunt. His use for a rifle was if the enemy got past all those guys with Garands, BARs and .30 and .50 cal machineguns.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
gunkid, the Carbine was a limited use weapon. It was NOT intended or used as a replacement for the M1 Garand or BAR. It was not a battle rifle. We never used it to replace the main battle rifle. Sure it will do a decent job when the enemy is out in the open and close, but it will not do a good job otherwise. Audie Murphy, George John, and a host of others used the M1 Carbine cause they were officers and that is what was issued to them. Audie used a M1 Garand and Thompson far far more often than he did the Carbine.

What is more, the Carbine is just about as good as the cut up POS 11" CAR (and that isn't saying much.) But the Carbine is actually lighter and gives far less muzzle flash.

The 11" CAR is a impotent pos trash piece as I have proven. Get over it.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I do not like the M-1 Carbine. As I said in a previous post, I was right next to a man that took a hit from a carbine at about 200 yards and he didn't know he was shot. He thought he jammed a branch in his leg. Ain't much as far as I'm concerned. Kind of like a .38 Special. Forget it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts