Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Best Double Action Revolvers

Which double action revolvers have the best (smoothest) DA mechanisim? For me ithey are the Smith&Wesson N, L and K trame revolvers. And of the three the N frames are the best.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Jerry Miculek, Ron Powers, Bill Jordan say otherwise,

preferring the smaller cylinder and frame of the K models. Ditto Ed McGivern, Jim Cirillo and many, many others, to include nearly all the PPC shooters. Together, they all have about a million times more experience with the subject than you do.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
The times I've been priveledged to shoot my buddy's Colt's (Trooper and Python) lead me to vote for them. I own 2 older Smith K's that are excellent, but my Taurus 66 (old version, based on the K frame) has started to show definite signs of improvement after the first 500 rounds went through it. Still gotta say the Colt's, if I could forget the mortage I'd have a couple in the safe...

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The perception of smoothness varies from person to person. Its not something that you can make general statements about. I notice that you rely on the statements of others in your reply. No doubt this is because you are unable to shoot a double action revolver well. I personally find the older S&W N frame revolvers to have the best and smoothest action around - far superior to the Colt Python which comes in second (sorry snake lovers).

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
For out of the box smoothness, I'd have to say, as a brand, S&W takes it.The old blued guns seems to have better triggers, but then again, they've been used. I've never handled a Colt DA revolver, so I can't say.

Now, just about any DA revolver can be tuned to have a great trigger. My Rugers are smooth as glass, although still heavy (which is the way I wanted it, just did a nice deburr/polish job). But out of the box, S&W is tops.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I love my S&W M66. I've shot dozens of other DA revolvers but that was the one that I chose to compete with the year that I shot IPSC with a revolver.

·
Registered
720 Posts
One was a Python I couldn't afford at the time--maybe thirty years ago, the other a S&W I bought in a pawn shop, 686 (?) I believe. I traded it because of the 6" barrel, wish I had not!
SatCong

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
try not to laugh,but I used to shoot well with an out of the box Ruger GP-100(six inch).I wish I still had it,for an out of the box piece by Ruger(not known for light &smooth triggers),this puppy seemed to have escaped the kennel without the lawyerproof trigger.I don't think it was REALLY light ,but it was noticeably smoother that any other investment cast frame revolver I shot from them. Itmust have been a fluke,someonedid'nt muck it up on the final polishing&fitting.
I'd like to see another run of the old 5.5inch Ruger Redhawk in .357,probably for the same reasons I 'd like an Nframe.357 from the Performance center(8round cylinder).
Does anyone know much about those Mateba revolvers we'd see in the Shotgun News from time to time?They struck me as interesting.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ruger GP-100. It's not pretty, nor slim, nor light, nor smooth actioned. But it will take ANYTHING for a very long time. And you can take the gun apart much easier than any Smith or Colt.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Your right about disassembly;once you used that pin in the mainspring to disengage things,you could pull that whole grip assembly out of the frame itself.Although,when first out of the box,it took some serious effort...mAN those things are fitted tightly.Definitely took some wearing in.You think they'll ever make machined frames again,or you figure they're permanently wedded to the whole investment casting process?I know they're considered "strong enought".but something about that whole powdered metal process never sat right with me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
gripper, I have Colts and I have Smith wheelguns, but if when I really go way outdoors, it's a Ruger 3 inch GP-100 that's my belt gun. I can fall in mud, swim streems, dust storms, you just name it. If the gun get's dirty, I just take it apart and clean it right there. Can't beat that.

It does need some shooten in when new, and a bit of buff here and there to make it real smooth. I admit it will never be as nice and pretty nor slick as a good Smith or Colt, but in the boondocks it will never fail.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Just keep in mind the turbine blades for the F100-PW-100 jet engines (first seen in the F-15A) are made from powdered metal. In fact, the technology made a quantum leap in jet turbine technology that kept us ahead of the world for a long time. Not to mention that the investment cast frames from Ruger are well known to outlast the machined frames of other manufacturers. Ruger frames are also what's found on the BFR line of revolvers, they're essentially lengthened Super Blackhawk frames. Food for thought.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
They've made automobile COIL springs with investment casting,for decades now. A non-impact item like a revolver frame is nothing much, or by means of the sintered iron manufacturing method, either. Since the revolver is nearly 100% relegated to the "sport only" category anyway, why not go with what helps the gun be affordable? They'll always have the fragility and wear problem of small parts that are critical to chamber-bore alignment, exposure to the elements, etc. Nothing can change those weaknesses.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
The smoothest I have ever fired, bar none, was an old Colt six inch Officer's Model Match. Absolutely no creep and it broke like glass without over travel. I wish I could have bought it. I had to supervise it being torched.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
terry g

man i bout sunk out of my chair reading that post!

that 'hit'me hard.

i personally think colt has the best 'out of box' d.a. pull, they were all i would even consider buying at one time.

[deleted] thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with the GP100 guys.
It may not be the prettiest...or the most expensive...but my GP100 with 4" full lug barrel is one of my favorite and most dependable handguns.
Too bad Illinois doesn't allow CCW permits for citizens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts