Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to pull my old 16 gauge H&R Topper out of the safe for hunting this year. Brought her out for a couple reasons a) wanted to give my double 20 a rest b) double 12 is in the shop c) finally got the 870 12 sighted in for deer season (shotgun only state) d)don't like the way the Ithaca 20 handles and finally e) because I wanted to . Found that the single shot handled just as well as it used to and was nice and light to carry, but had enough weight to swing without beig too whippy. Noticed a couple things carrying the single shot: The rooster I shot fell like anything else that was hit and the hen I missed would have gotten away no matter how many shells I had. I'm starting to wonder what the big deal is about having second shots, you either hit the bird with the first shot or miss the bird (I'm not talking combat guns here, I'm talking grouse and pheasant) with the first shot and then make a lot of noise as you continue to miss. One final thing, when you only fire one shot, everyone else thinks you scored, since you didn't continue to fire.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
There is a 16ga Stevens SS sitting in the safe. Haven't fired it in a couple of years but rather like it. It definitely forces a person to concentrate on the basics of really hunting and choosing shots that can be made instead of spray and pray. It can even be fairly rapidly reloaded if you have a shell clipped between the fingers of the right hand when you open the barrel latch.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but reloading like that only works when you're expecting to reload, it would be a PITA to carry an extra shell like that all day. Besides, it's been very rare when I hit on the 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th) shot after missing on the first, I don't know about anyone else's experience. My buddies and I always get a laugh when we hear a lot of rounds going off. Our rule of thumb is 1 shot = hit; 2 shots = maybe; 3 or more = miss. If you only have one shot, you won't have others wandering over to find your miss, and can keep working it yourself.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I"ve always wondered why bother with the shotgun

at all? Birds spend lots of time sitting someplace, and it's more fun to sneak up and pop them with a pistol, Ditto rabbits, etc. I just did it year round, and had a ball, for nearly 20 years. Compared to the rich guys who take hundreds in a "legal" season, I took less, actually, even tho I hunted year round, with my pistol. There's basically nothing to hitting a bird on the wing with a shotgun. kids manage it all the time. HOw many kids take dozens a yeaar with a pistol, hmm? :) or COULD, even if they tried full time.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why bother with a shotgun? OK, besides most states mandating use of a shotgun, in addition to other regulations that you've demonstrated that you don't care about...hitting a flushing bird on the wing is great practice to reacting and firing taking into account all the factors that you'd need for SHTF: Unexpected target - no matter how many times I yell "pull" a bird only chooses to fly when I'm not expecting it ...Moving target - birds will move in ways even they can't predict (and a lot more than a stationary target at the range)...target ID - are you shooting at a pheasant or a duck that you don't have a permit for?...Situational Awareness - are there any "friendlies" around (other hunters, dogs, kids out for a walk?)...practice at the use of a long gun - swinging a shotgun is close to swinging a rifle, what anyone with any sense would choose if they KNEW they would NEED a gun. And finally, refer to my original thread "Because I wanted to".

·
Registered
163 Posts
andy said:
at all? Birds spend lots of time sitting someplace, and it's more fun to sneak up and pop them with a pistol, Ditto rabbits, etc. I just did it year round, and had a ball, for nearly 20 years. Compared to the rich guys who take hundreds in a "legal" season, I took less, actually, even tho I hunted year round, with my pistol. There's basically nothing to hitting a bird on the wing with a shotgun. kids manage it all the time. HOw many kids take dozens a yeaar with a pistol, hmm? :) or COULD, even if they tried full time.
A fine example of yet another way for the anti's to threaten our rights!
You probably couldn't hit a barn if you closed the door on your way in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
H&R Topper 16 gauge was the first shotgun I ever bought with my own money. It was stolen in a b & e years ago, I had a great time with that gun.

I have a Steven 20 gauge and 16 gauge single shots now.
I may have to get them out later this year when Rabbit season starts.

Jim

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Maybe you'd like to STAND there, at 200 yds,

with your favorite rifle, and let me stand unsuppored, and fire ONE shot at you, with a Contender? You may then fire back all you CAN. Ditto at 100yds, me using a 1911? I'd be HAPPY to show you just how IGNORANT YOU ARE.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
This is a shotgun thread andy. Apparently your ineptitude extends to reading also.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't 20 yards long range with a 1911? 100 yards must be an extreme shot, no?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
10 yds is long range, if being shot at, but I never said anything about being shot at, if you can READ, you can see that.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What have you people done to poor Gunkid? His world is imploding and now 10 yards is long range, maybe if he cut his meds in half it might open his view?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I've ALWAYS said 10m is long range with a pistol, when you are being shot at. You simply can't comprehend what you are reading, that's all.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
I've ALWAYS said 10m is long range with a pistol, when you are being shot at. You simply can't comprehend what you are reading, that's all.
which explains all the pistol stuff in a shotgun thread....

All too funny.

:devil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts