Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's Starlight at a retrieving competion in August last year. She only came in 4 th 'cause she wouldn't drop the D*** artificial duck. She does the same with real ducks. Once she swims out to get it, she figures it's hers! She's no better this year. She was only three last year, at four she should be more mature.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Terry, I'm so sorry that I missed this post. You're working Starry in field trials. Neat!

I've worked dogs and trained them for the trials. If she won't drop the duck, heres what I did. First you have to have your own duck. Tape its wings and tell her to fetch. When she returns, tell her to "leave". If she won't drop the duck then pinch ber ear using fingernails. She will drop it. Repeat as needed until she gets the message.

You may have already done this but its worth a try if you haven't.

BTW, she is a beautiful girl.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a poor trainer, I just can't use pain compliance on her. A weakness in my character. I've been trying treats as a reward for a successful retrieve, and she's getting better. She's fine with commands and hand signals, but just does not want to give up that damn bird!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Okay, then grasp her nose and blow HARD into her nostrils when she has the duck in her mouth. That sometimes works.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for your great advice, RIKA. I knocked a Canvasback down, and Starlight retrieved it like a champ. Wouldn't give it up, so I blew in her nose like you suggested. She sneezed duck and dog snot right back in my face. Was this some sort of joke?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Not at all, professional advice though I don't do it for money.

Cheers for Starry! Oh ... sorry about the snot ... that happens. :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Like they say, snot happens. I love labs. I never got into the trials, but I am fortunate enough to have a lot of water fowl and upland game in my area. Unfortunately, my labs didn't seems to be hearty enough for the cold weather and the nasty river so I went to a Chessie. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are awesome dogs, but they rightfully earned the reputation of being "one man" and "bone headed". I don't have a dog right now, but the next one will be a Lab. Did I mention I love Labs?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raider said:
Not at all, professional advice though I don't do it for money.

Cheers for Starry! Oh ... sorry about the snot ... that happens. :D

Don't take it as a snipe at you. Actually it was funny as can be. After I wiped my face clean she had that "Did I do good Daddy?" Look on her face. I started laughing so hard I set my shotgun down before I had an accident. You have to laugh at yourself once in a while.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Terry, I didn't take it as a swipe at all. I am very pleased that the trick worked and Starry gave up her duck. That kind of result makes what I do for fun now all worthwhile. After a few times she will get the idea and give up the duck willingly. I'm glad that you got a laugh out of it.

Ron, Chessies are fine dogs too. I understand that some of the top field trial and hunting Lab breeders are in Wyoming. You just have to look.

My best to both of you. :)

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Hey Terry, admit it, it's moments like that that really "make it" as a dog owner huh? You just don't get that kind of friendship with any other kind of animal.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Magnum88C, I often wonder who "owns" who. She rings a bell on the door when she needs to go "out". So I stop what I'm doing and walk in the woods with her. If I forget her feeding time she slams her shiny metal bowl around to get my attention. If she see's me leaving the house with a rifle case or fishing rod, she start's barking and howling and acts real P***** Off for a couple of hours when I come home because I didn't take her. My wife thinks it's hysterical. Damn dog. I want another one.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts