Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys who like sneaking up on deer in their beds, what sort of camo do you employ? Do you go full ghile, grease paint on your face, what?

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
it's best to let them come to you, (or your snares, as the case may be). Your fresh scent, or sound seems to play at least as large a role as does the sight of you, altho the distance to you and whether or not you are moving seems to matter a lot. So does how accustomed the deer are to human presence. Around this town, scores of deer have grown up with lots of bunny huggers all around them. They pay no attention to you, really, except after hunting season starts, and even then, the does still ignore you, in most cases.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I just wear a camo shirt, hat and pants with gloves and a facenet. If you move slowly and quietly like an animal they don't spook much. Mostly do this later in the season.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Here, we have to wear orange coat or outer vest, along with an orange hat. Chartreuse is an alternative to orange, but none for me, thanks...

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Have to wear orange here too, certain # of square inches of it. Doesn't matter, deer don't see like turkeys, you'll spook them far more often with noise or smell.

If you have the skill to move quietly, you have to overcome the smell thing. You family an coworkers might not like it, but don't shower for a few days before you go out, and DO NOT wear clean clothes, you'll give yourself away in a second.

If you can't move quietly, it doesn't much matter what you do clothing or smell wise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
personally as a ill deer hunter for 10 years i take my coveralls and orange vest and wash them in scent killer detergent to take the human sent out then hang them out in the woods behind my house for a week before season (depends on weather forcast) and the day of i take a shower in scent killer soap and put on my clothing (all of which was in the loadw/ the coveralls and hung out) then the wife sprays me down with carbon blast and i head out to sit in my stand all scent killer stuf was bought at wal mart and is realitivly cheap just got to re apply carbon blast each day of hunting
P.s. deer dont see color however the uv difference they can see the carbon spray i get has a uv blocker that works great have had them walk right up on me before and not ever know i was there

my .02

·
Registered
90 Posts
fwiw In younger days when i allowed myself more time for play i would bring home from my scouting the moist laer of debris and even the dirt from area to be hunted and
Shake and bake my huntin clothes with it your milage may vary best o luck

·
Registered
163 Posts
You've got the formula there Ghostrider.
I learned a hard lesson the first year I used the stuff, watch your down wind. :headbang:

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I don't go through all that trouble. I hunt in my own woods in 70% Blaze orange. I have only failed to score three times in 26 years. My tactic is to sit on a high ridge on my property that overlooks several deer trails. I maybe wrong, I often am, but I believe the deer have grown more used to humans (and their scent). For example, I have deer coming into the backyard and frontyard of my home. This has started just in the last couple of years. Despite the smell of dog's and people, I had a nice spike buck in the front acre at 2:00 PM, who just stared at me as I pulled in the driveway. We also have a doe that comes up and eats out of the bird and squirrel feeder not fifteen feet from the house. This behaviour is fairly recent.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I do have a full ghillie, that I have used varmint hunting. (I don't use it that often, but it is completely effective - I had a fox come in behind me, circle around and sit down right in front of me once. It was no more than 12-15" in front of me.)

but for the most part, I am in either rhodesian BDUS, Brittish DPMS, or the desert "chocolate chip" 6 color pattern bdus.

I wear a hat, face mask, and gloves.

The barrel and scope are covered with cammo bow tape (removed after each season to brevent the tape from holding moisture)

Movement give you away more than anything else. I also use the brush to help break of my outline, stuff like that.

:devil:

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
While I still hunted I used a British Army DPM uniform, sniper vail and/or cam stick

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I dunno... camo or orange takes some of the romance out of it for me. I just leave my buckskin jacket and jeans that im going to wear the next day in a heap of pine needles, and when i wake up next morning, grab my dads .30-30, head into the woods. It depends wether or not im feeling particularly patient or not; sometimes i just climb a good tree near a deer trail and watch, or ill still hunt along the higher ridges and hills and glass the deer trails and stream beds. Its a good oportunity to check the snare line too.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Coyote, if you ever head out east of Calgary drop in and I'll show you some prairie shooting.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Blaze Orange for me. Its required. I try to watch the scent thing but don't worry about it that much and I can not recall teh last time I did nto get a deer.

However I hunt mostly on private land where they are not hunted heavily.

Hasher

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Neat stuff, guys. Thanks. Reason I asked was that even at my advanced age of 47, I still take a day or two during the year to get really down and dirty. I like to get out on a day when it is cold and nasty, and the wind is blowing a little bit. Better still if it has been rainin' for a couple of days. I like to put on my old, grungy wool stuff, grab my 4" Smith 586, and try to crawl up on where I believe the deer will be holed up (e.g.: cedar thicket on a Southern exposure, etc.). In my life, I've gotten might close, but no cigar yet. The few times I've almost connected, the wind shifted, as it will do - right when you need it not to - and I got busted.

Sure is fun though. The old wool is quiet, and it stays warm, although a bit heavy, when it get soaked.

This year I'll try again, but I'll be totin' my new 1911 in .460 Rowland.

Wish me luck!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
8 Posts
well guys, I wear camo for elk and deer hunting, and i never wear orange, not required in ariz, the wife washes em reg detergent and downy fabric softner, I have had elk and deer walk right buy me, a cow elk got so close once I poked her with my bow, in her chest just to get her to move out, So i am not convienced that all these products work, One of the most challenging hunts i was on was a bear hunt, Ariz allows no baiting, and i don't belive in hounds, i sat and waited for 4 days for 1 perticular bear to show up at a water tank, During this time i was visited by many deer ,elk , and turkey, as long as i moved slowly, no problem, Buy the way, the bear did come back in, 310 yard shoot, 7mm mag, sierra 160 grain boat tail, 375 lb black bear, sow, Bears are hard to judge but i knew she was big, i just know she was this big, for ariz, thats a huge bear

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use ASAT cammo, with a face net. I bow hunt, so the range is always close. Used to use face cammo, that works, but remember to do your eye lids(blink = white flash)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts