Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do count.

The effective range of an RPG7 is 300M+ against a moving target and 500M+ against a stationary target.

One man with an RPG taking aim at your convoy from 500M isn't such a big deal.(Unless he has warheads of the OG series, high explosive antipersonal, kill radius of 150M)

Your spotters seeing a dozen backblast signatures at 400M is a big ass deal.

A dozen RPG armed men have the capacity to launch such a salvo every 5 seconds, much less if they have someone else to hand them a preloaded launcher.

Flight time to 400M is 2 seconds, at 60MPH a vehicle will move 88 feet in that time, the danger zone from a salvo launch is too large to drive out of.

A vehicle can stop and a rifleman can engage and hit at 400M+, the beltfeds can keep Hajis heads down while the riflemen pick the shooters off.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Polesmoke, before you go back to the big sandbox, do yourself a favor and read what you can about thermobaric warheads available for the RPG and the RPOA. They work as advertised. That is not fiction, but fact.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what the GTBXX?

Off the top of my head is a 200M blast radius, short range weapon though the flat trajectory is only about 200m , it's a fire and duck weapon.

We've gameplanned those and our worst case scenario was to be stuck in a built up area and have to hole up in a structure, those puppies would put a world of hurt on us in that situation fast. (all the more reason to be able to hit a man once and kill him 7.62 155grAMAX!) a dyingman can still aim and fire an RPG.

Luckily there aren't any reports of those being used by insurgents. Yet anyway.

I'll ask the ordies if they've gotten their hands on any of them.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Polesmoker, they have. The Russians currently have a minimum of 8 different thermobaric munitions on the world market at this time. Their use as a direct fire weapon or an IED is only a matter of time.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeap thatGTB-7G is what I was thinking of.

None of our ordinanace guy have gotten their hands on them yet (remember contractor to the .gov I'm not a .mil guy).

I have to go over to see the technical papers on those puppies, but our gameplanning is that they aren't so terrible in the open. They're mild bad news for exposed troops in the open, but there are many worse things to be had.

In a built up area they are bad bad juju, they will clear you from a building hard.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
PM for you

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That isn't the round that holed the Abrams last year is it? If I remember correctly, it punched a hole in the skirt, through the underarmor, through the interior plating, passing through the drivers flack vest and the back of his chair before lodging a few inches into the armor on the other side of the tank.

I know that scared the crap out of the tank corp.

Mike

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I think that that was a Russian Komet antitank missile.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
polesmoker said:
Do count.

The effective range of an RPG7 is 300M+ against a moving target and 500M+ against a stationary target.

One man with an RPG taking aim at your convoy from 500M isn't such a big deal.(Unless he has warheads of the OG series, high explosive antipersonal, kill radius of 150M)

Your spotters seeing a dozen backblast signatures at 400M is a big ass deal.

A dozen RPG armed men have the capacity to launch such a salvo every 5 seconds, much less if they have someone else to hand them a preloaded launcher.

Flight time to 400M is 2 seconds, at 60MPH a vehicle will move 88 feet in that time, the danger zone from a salvo launch is too large to drive out of.

A vehicle can stop and a rifleman can engage and hit at 400M+, the beltfeds can keep Hajis heads down while the riflemen pick the shooters off.
What's this? A shoulder fired RPG with a kill radius of 150 METERS??? Our 155 SP Howitzers didn't have that large a "kill" radius. Is that misprint? If not, God help the PBI. (Poor Bloody Infantry)

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts