Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a winchester 1300 defender model for an exceptionally modest price of $70 from an old friend of mine. However upon delivery of the gun I was somewhat taken aback. There are two holes cut into it, each about an inch and a half long and less than 1/8th wide. Upon inquiry I was told that this particular firearm was previously used as a safety training tool, so the holes were made so students could see the shell in the gun. There is on on the reciever and one on the barrel, specifically allowing you to watch the action close and push the shell into the barrel.
Now for $70 I can accept that it's beaten up, really I just bought it out of curiousity, but now I'm a little concerned. Can I safely fire this thing? I like to imagine the hole working like a ported barrel to release gas and reduce recoil, but I realize that's just wishful thinking. Is there any advice short of replacing everything? I figure if nothing else I'll rig up some sort of pullstring out in the middle of nowhere just to make sure it wont misfire. I realize the chances are next to nothing a hole can cause a missfire, but I don't like the idea of taking chances and losing a hand.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I wouldnt consider it safe to fire.

Chamber integrity is definately compromised if theres a slit in it, and holes in the receiver where they dont belong surely dont help either.

Chances are that the shell's hull would rupture where the chamber is cut, sending violent gasses and burning powder out of the hole (which would be awfully close to your face by the sounds of it), and possibly cracking the barrel.

Also, if you used it in field conditions, which I definately wouldnt say is safe to do and advise against, all sorts of gunk would get into the gun from those slits.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Don't fire it; unsafe. Get another 1300 and use this one for spare parts. Or you could disassemble it and sell the parts on Ebay for more than you paid for it.

RIKA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks guys. I'm really glad I decided to post here before trying it out.
I figure I'll download the manual and pull it all apart, then see what parts are salvageable. I'd be dissapointed, but it's not like I lost alot of money.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yep I'd part the thing out.

How bad is the wood on it? If that can be salvaged you might recover a good chunk of your money there if it's in decent shape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a defender model so the stock is black synthetic.
Just wishful thinking but is there some sort of magical glue/polymer that I could fill the holes with? Maybe just weld a steel plate overtop :p
It's probably no good, and I'll just end up hanging it on a wall or something to look cool, but I was really excited about it when I first bought it.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Unfortunately your shotgun can't be repaired so its safe to shoot.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
That sucks.

The parts are worth 70 bucks though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah well, parts it is then. At least I'll get a profit from it. Someday I'll buy myself a proper tactical shotgun. Thanks for keeping me safe and in one peice guys :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Would you be interested in selling it?

Would you be interested in selling it? I have a use for this shotgun.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I have 'known' a few "ol-boys" WHO could have repaired/converted your mod #1300 to shooter-grade[union-ALCOA mill-wrights-machinests],,but they have LONG since retired/died-off!

case in point, I had once loaned a little ruger 10-22 to a 'friend' and in a drunken rage he snapped the rifle/reciever in half[no use whippin' his ass' or collecting any money over it,, no challenge and he was always broke!]

BUT after a few beers with the 'union'-boys that reciever was tig-welded just like the sunshine after a snowstorm!!![and sincethe serial numbers were
comprimisedinthe repair] it made a good-little sawn-off-full-auto,,,
BOAT ANCHOR!

:beer: :wavey:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
"William of Rights". lol! Great name!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts