Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this topic on another site. It sounded interesting so decided to post it. Haven't tried any of the formulas but they appear simple to make.

http://home.sprynet.com/~frfrog2/homemade.htm

Has anybody actually made any of this stuff?

RIKA

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
It sounds like something good to know, in case you need it, but commercial bore cleaners aren't that expensive and I know they won't accidently make some type of hazardous gas, so I just buy that rather than mixing chemicals. Besides, I haven't yet recovered from licking the spoon during High School Chemistry class. Good info to have though, I'd also like to hear if anyone has used them and how they rate.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That's a good site Rika,thank you.

I've "heard" nothing but good about Eds Red.Haven't made any myself yet though.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
"Ed's Red" is very popular with the C&R establishment. I don't mess with mixing chemicals together, not my thing. Shooter's Choice, Gun Scrubber, and other Birchwood Casey products are everything I need. Good old Hoppe's No.9 is as effective as it ever was. Chemicals are hazardous. You can make a mistake and suffer from it. Even Gun Scrubber should be used in a well ventilated are. I stopped at friends house who caught the C&R bug and was cleaning a Turkish Mauser in his basement. He was very liberally useing Gun Scrubber to clean the bolt of cosmoline. While we were talking I mentioned the fumes were getting to me. He stopped what he was doing and turned on hot water to rinse the bolt. When that hot water hit that Gun Scrubber a clod of vapor enveloped his head and knocked him to his knees. He was fine a minute later but still a spooky thing. Home chemistry has accounted for untold number of "meth cooker's" being burnt and killed.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My thought on this was doing it outside and only when what is needed might not be available. You're right. Chemicals are dangerous. Would much rather use commercial stuff.

RIKA (on headstone: She was poisoned by her own cooking :D )

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
I spend a good percentage of my time with assorted chemical in my job. Everything from nerve Agent to Propolene Oxide and Nitromethane. I have 5 different protective masks, dependent on the threat that I face. Mixing your own chemicals unless you are qualified and have knowledge of all possible results might not lead to a long life expectancy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts