Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided that today was going to be about recreation instead of work, so I added to my targets. I had a half dozen 6 inch plates and a couple 8 inch plates that I’ve never used, so I dug out the fence post driver and rigged me up kind of a homemade plate rack.
Plant Natural landscape Tree Grass Groundcover

One lesson; even though a plate is rated for a caliber, it’s not necessarily a good choice for it. These are 6 inch diameter by 3/8” thick AR500, so they can take up to rifle calibers. But being as light as they are and swinging on those pendulum-like hangers, even with 9 mm they swing way too much. I need to weld some ballast weight onto the back of them, or do something else to settle them down. They’re just too light for that kind of mounting with anything bigger than a 22.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fwiw, plain 115 fmj 9mm from a carbine. It’s just comical how much they spin & flop, sometimes doing a full 360 over the bar. I didn’t try any rifle calibers and won’t until I come up with a way of settling them down. The gun is sighted for 50 yards, so that’s why it’s hitting a couple inches low at 15.

The lazy solution (if it works) would be to simply double them up, hanging two per hook to double the weight. They can be had for ~$12 apiece, so if I don’t think of a better solution, I may test the doubling-up concept with the ones I have and see if it’s even a good idea.

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
With the plates that are right in front of the pickets, is there any ricochet problem?

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you mean from mises hitting the posts being a ricochet danger, I doubt it'll be a problem since the T-posts are pretty soft metal; plus there's nothing real close to that area other than trees and pasture fence. The house is off to one side (off to your 4 o'clock when shooting) and probably 35-40 yards away or so.

If you mean from splatter off the plates damaging the posts, I wouldn’t expect it to be a problem; at least not for a pretty long time.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
weld a short section of chain to the bottom of each one. This will help dampen the swinging

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In answer to a pm question that others may be interested in - the pipe between the T-posts is suspended by hangers bought more than a year ago off ebay:
Cloud Sky Plant Land lot Tree

They hold the horizontal pipe, plus an additional plate in front of the post if desired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts