1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Homeland Security 101
Gary Aldrich
Friday, Sept. 26, 2003
By the end of this week, more than 120 women from Virginia, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania and Tennessee will have completed a simple and unique firearms safety training course that enables each to legally carry a concealed handgun for self-protection.
For as long as anyone can remember, interest in guns has been pretty much a man’s “thing.” But all that is changing, if interest in the Patriettes program is any indication. Women from all walks of life, from all political persuasions and of all ages are Patriette graduates, and without exception they express positive emotions, ranging from excitement to joy to relief, when they learn how easy it is to protect themselves.

Safe gun use by women is a closely guarded secret. Some want to discourage or withhold gun rights from women, because they prefer women to remain vulnerable to would-be attackers. As perpetual victims, women need somebody or some organization to protect them. In other words, they’re dependent.

But if women are empowered by the knowledge of self-protection, they are no longer viewed as easy targets, and represent an independent force that gun control advocates just cannot and will not tolerate.

Housewives, working moms, stay-at-home moms, students, grandmothers, interns, heads of large organizations, Capitol Hill and White House staffers and public relations professionals have attended and easily passed the class. Each graduate leaves with targets of her newfound proficiency as evidence, along with a certificate from the National Rifle Association. The certificate enables Patriettes grads to immediately apply for a concealed-carry permit from the state of Virginia and any other state that recognizes this comprehensive yet simple program.

Three organizations have joined hands to offer and support Patriettes. First, The Patrick Henry Center for Individual Liberty located in Fairfax, Va., organizes and hosts the program. Joining the Center is the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, dedicated to the protection and promotion of Law Enforcement Officers, as well as the Second Amendment. Finally, The Second Amendment Sisters, who became famous as the counter to the Million Mom March several years ago, lends support and encouragement to the program.

The Patrick Henry Center has purchased 9 mm semi-automatic handguns for training, so the women are not intimidated by the mysteries and high costs of purchasing their own guns prior to class. All they have to do is buy the ammunition – the Center and the NRA Certified Instructors do the rest.

A unique aspect of the program is that no men are allowed. It is specially designed training geared to the kinds of issues and special concerns that women naturally have about the use of guns. For example, most women express fear of having a firearm in their home, especially if they have children and are worried about easy access. Their fears are put to rest when they are made aware of the many firearms security devices now on the market.

The ladies also learn about a specially built gun safe that fits in their car, and another that bolts to their bed frames. The safes are made of high-tensile-strength steel and have unique locking devices that can be activated only by the owner. This ensures that kids can’t get their hands on the guns and also prevents easy theft, but gives the user quick access in the event of a threat.

The training is accomplished in less than eight hours, including time for a hot meal supplied by The Patrick Henry Center. Having spent time together in the classroom learning a new skill, these ladies become part of a rather exclusive club. They bond as they review what they have learned while enjoying all-American barbecue supplied by a popular nearby restaurant.

Little do they know the best is yet to come. Patriettes also receive one-on-one assistance on the firing line from an NRA instructor. As they plug the silhouette targets with neat round holes, these newly empowered women suddenly realize that they always possessed a constitutional right that could have put many of their fears of being a victim to rest.

Some even become angry when they discover they have needlessly lived in fear for many years because unfounded intimidation of guns and somebody’s political cause have discouraged them from ever considering self-protection.

The firearms instructors tell them that women are more accurate in their shooting than men and actually make better students in the classroom. Said one NRA Certified Instructor: “Most men come to our classes convinced they know everything there is to know about guns. This makes them harder to train. Men resist unlearning their preconceived notions – including erroneous notions about gun safety. But the women listen carefully and learn the correct safety rules. That’s very important.”

And that’s what makes the Patriettes program unique. Women learn about gun safety while they are taught how to protect themselves from becoming just another victim of crime. But they learn in an atmosphere free from the natural intimidation they would feel if men were present. Everyone assumes most guys are likely to snicker at the notion that the “pretty little thing” sitting next to them is “packing heat.”

And yet, ironically, women benefit most from the concealed-carry permit laws now enacted in 36 states, Missouri being the latest to join this overdue movement. Men have the presence and upper body strength that usually make them less attractive as victims. And sexual predators seek to humiliate and injure women and rob them of their dignity and possessions, and perhaps their lives.

Women know a call to 911 will be little help if and when they fall victim to a sexual predator. But a locked and loaded 9 mm handgun will certainly get the creep’s attention, and in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, it’s highly likely he’ll back off instantly. If not, some would opine, maybe this human garbage will finally get what’s coming to him.

Gary Aldrich is the author of the recently released hard-hitting book, "Thunder on the Left: An Insider’s Report on the Hijacking of the Democratic Party," an exposé of the clear and present danger the Hard-Left’s agenda presents to our national security and our freedoms. Available now at Amazon.com!

Original NewsMax article

Reproduced with the permission of NewsMax.com. All rights reserved.

G

·
I'm about as conservative as they come when it comes to gun ownership and the right to (reasonably) keep and use firearms. However, that article is tripe..

It is unclear to me what exactly the man is trying to say besides prod the reader with the terrors of regulation, big brother and the pillaging of our women. Certainly there is some constituency that gets a chill and yells a big HOORAHH when this guy speaks but for me he is simply sexist, condescending and pushing his own personal program.

I suppose that is modern politics, though.. preach to your choir to get them out to vote, BS everybody else.... Abandon the politics of fear, friends.

Those are my Friday morning thoughts on that!

Be safe,

Gus

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gus, nice to hear from you.

Gus, do you know any women who have been the victim of random sexual/violent crime?
Do you know any women who are proficient in firearms?
Are you aware of the multitude of political agendas designed to infringe on your rights to own and posses firearms? Are you also aware of the agendas of the left to capitalize on the soccer moms who are lied to about firearm ownership and their intent?
I think this article and therefore the program described hit the nail on the head when it comes to the latter point. Women are afraid most of the time when it comes to being a potential victim. They do find themselves insecure when dealing with the issues of security you and I take for granted. The hand to hand combat I was taught will stop most men I know. When and if used by a woman, they would be about as effective as a cotton ball wielded by a baby.
The article clearly demonstrates how women might feel when finally shown the difference between the left's lies about firearms and those who support them and the truth of a much needed sense of security.

G

·
I believe that any responsible, sane, and law abiding citizen
has a right to be armed. Regardless of gender or political beliefs.
So long as those beliefs work within the spirit of the law, and
constitution of this great land.

Lets not forget the values we are fighting for. One being freedom
of speech, freedom of opinion. And thats the way this armed
citizen see's it.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, if you do not have the right to defend yourself with all necessary force in order to do so, none of the other "rights" you have are rights at all. They are merely privileges until someone decides to take them away from you. After all, how are you going to say "NO"?

·
Registered
16 Posts
that's right, Rich

I believe the founding fathers had that exact thought when they drafted the second ammendment. You know what they say: Four out of five dictators recommend gun control before all the killing starts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can see merit in both sides of this argument. I'm all for women arming themselves if they feel a need. And I think it's great that a group of people are helping. But I think Mr. Aldrich goes a little far with the idea that owning a firearm will some how empower women and be a panacea for their fears. Fear is always with us, owning a firearm may lessen it somewhat. But the idea that it is empowering and relieves fear is just plan poppycock. As for his railing against the left. I fear both ends of the political spectrum. After all it is the right wing that brought us the freedom act or as I like to call it the "lack of freedom act". The way I see it the left wing wants to get into your wallet and out of your bedroom and the right wants to get out of your wallet and into your bedroom. I don't want to any of them in either one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
No doom and gloom, but reality

It will be interesting to see the public's reaction to gun control/CCW that will result from a second domestic attack on our soil. (This reaction will be especially dynamic if the attack comes against a "soft target" like a school, a sporting event, or even a mall.)

How many citizens will rush out to get a permit in order to "feel safe" in their own hometown?

G

·
On the lighter side, it being the holidays and all.
Has anyone else been shooting at those Bin Ladin targets you
can buy at the range? True its symbolic, FOR NOW! but, it sure is
fun. 30ft. I blew the center out of the upper torso, and gave him
a real haircut. By the way who do you tell the powers to be
that you changed your e-mail address?

Happy Holidays from: luvmycz

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unregistered said:
By the way who do you tell the powers to be
that you changed your e-mail address?

Happy Holidays from: luvmycz
Well, I guess that would be me. What do you need me to do for you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are all so lucky and yet you dont see it!!

You all live in a country that you can walk on thre streets with a gun
I however live in England where you cant even have a gun in your home without the police shooting you!

You are all lucky, you can have guns MAKE THE MOST OF IT!!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it is any consolation to you, we point to England and Australia as being perfect examples why we will NOT allow that to happen here.

Sorry you have to be subjected to that insanity, however. By definition, criminals do not care about the laws, so why should they be concerned about a gun law? If I were going to become a criminal, I would do so in an area where I feel pretty confident that my victims are defenseless. I mean, if I were going to do a dope deal, what better choice of location than a local school yard in Washington D.C.?

G

·
Hell, MEN rre easy marks, pistol or not

no more ability than 99% of men have with such, and no more attention than they pay to their surroundings, no more fighting heart than they have, no more hand to hand ability than they have. So a woman, with even less experience, skill, strength, etc, is what? :) Nothing much, that's what. It takes many hundreds of hours of hard, dedicated work to change that, and the number of men who will put forth such money and effort is a few thousand, in the entire US.

·
Registered
296 Posts
to the origanal post I say WOOO HOOO :)
both my wife and i carry CCWs and it does give me peace of mind when she is on business trips ect... as she is wheel chair bound and unable to escape on foot power alone.
just a side note she also carries a bigger cal than me and is a better shot than i am.( colt officers MKIV .45acp)

if more people carried then violent crime would have no choice but to lessen as criminals would soon find themselves on the way to the happy hunting grounds.

sean

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Or maybe they'd become extinct...

:devil:

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to think there are more good guys then bad guys in the world. With that being the case, with suitable responses taken for "bad behavior" I do believe the bad guys WOULD become extinct. That's the way that evolution works. Unfortunately, today's legal system is hindering that process from being effective.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
most laws seem to protect people from being stupid.

I'm against the notion of having guard rails at the Grand Canyon. If you're dumb enough to do something that causes you to fall in, well let's just say the gene pool may be better off.

But, the flip side to laws that prevent people from being stupid, is far too often they take others out with their stupidity.

I agree, I also believe that there are far more good people than bad people in the world.

:devil:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
good people, and efficient FIGHTERS are not one and the same thing. I moved in the top circles with the pistol for many years, and damned few of those guys even carried, much less were really fast, aware, good at hand to hand, etc. I"ve also been locked up with thousands of felons, the great majority of which were just dope dealers, but many hundreds of which were vicious punks. The fed system doesn't get many of the latter. The vioilent ones get state time. Good fighters aren't even 10% of the numbers of the vicious, believe me. The punks can gang up, pick their time, place, and victims. You have to be EXTRAORDINARILY good, or LUCK has more to do with the outcome than anything else does. WISHING that that were not so doesn't change it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Andy, I know that this maybe difficult, but trust me. I am only 5 and a half feet tall, but I do not worry, because I look like what I am, a "old school NCO", who's been in and around for a long time. I do not part crowds, but I also do not get disrespected while I am out on the topwn. Most people looking for trouble do not want to find it, and are really looking for a easy mark, and this includes "Gangs of Punks"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts