Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on it. You can start it at 2650 fps in a 10" barreled 223, and it will still have 1800 fps left at 300 yds. That's still enough velocity to expand the softpoint, and it will still have the same 425 ft lbs left as a very hot 115 gr jhp in a 5" 9mm, or a 125 gr jhp in a 2.5" 357 Mag. Don't kid yourself about a short barreled 223 not having PLENTY of power. 300 yds covers 99% of the non-accidental hits achieved with the rifle in modern combat. The other 1% is nearly all achieved by specialized sniper rifles, in superbly trained hands, and such snipers are backed up by a spotter who has a grenade launcher mounted on an M4 auto rifle, and by a securtiy man who has a SAW M248 belt fed. Shtf, or a personal action, you wont have the backup-spotter, and you wont have a safe base to run to, no chopper evac, no arty or air strikes to call-upon when (not if) you bite off more than you can chew. An 8" can and a 10" barrel add up to as handy a gun as the WW2 .30 Carbine, that Audie Murphy and so many other VERY experienced warriors favored over the Garand.

With a scope, trigger job, and the right ammo, such a little 223 can be amazingly effective, with twice the stopping power of 30 Carbine ball ammo, and twice the effective range, too. Plus no muzzle flash at night, no muzzle blast, to betray your posiition, and the option of using subsonic 22lr's, etc. Such 22's are still lethal at 150 yds, and there's no sonic crack to tell your buddies where the man who just "killed" you (and 2-3 others) IS. Yes, you will live for another few hours or days, but the infection is going to cause a bad fever, and you will be worthless to your buddies thereafter. There will be no saving you, and using antibiotics on you is just wasting the medicine, which might actually help somebody who's not as grievously wounded. So they will either just leave you, or kill you and take your gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
Reality Check For Melvin....Reality Check For Melvin....

Yeah sure it's got a bit of a boat-tail.......the flat base is beveled for easier bullet seating Einstein. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of One that I have......for real. :nyah:

It is an accurate and effective bullet though and performs well in both my Colt M-4 Sporters and my 181 series Ruger Mini-14.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
hey GK, from what wet dream do you rationalize all that drivel? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, punk, what part of it don't you believe? That

subsonic .22's still have the military's "minimum lethality" of 60 ft lbs? Rostov claims to kill dogs at 175m with .22 rifle. Talk to HIM. That you can't get 60 grs to 2650 in a 10" barrel? FACTORY 221 Fireball is 50 grs at 2650 in a 10" barrel, and the 223 has CONSIDERABLY more powder capacity than does the 221 case. All you have to do is look up the BC of the V Max, and use a ballistics chart, and know how to calculate energy. Maybe you "think" you will still be worth something, when mortally wounded, post shtf? sorry to disappoint you, but the great majority of your friends won't even write to you in prison, for 5 years,much less visit you. With their lives on the line, and you of no value to them, guess what? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,969 Posts
Please post the source of the numbers you quote, gunkid/erika. Nobody will believe you otherwise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
No the part about it being "a bit of a boat-tail" is what throws off your credibility.

Why bother mentioning something like that.

When to tell the truth be known that it's still a good performer as far as being accurate in many different barrels.

In fact I've had good luck with other flat base spitzer and semi-spitzer bullets in .223.

When I had a Standard Colt AR-15A2 the Sierra 63gr SMP Varminter bullets shoot damn straight out to 300yds with the right zero and that was a flat base also.

While I never have myself, some friends of mine hunted deer using the Speer 70gr bullet in their Mini-14's.

As long as you know your drop and windage you're good to go.


BTW- The 60gr V-Max or the either the Sierra or Nolser OTM bullets may be my choice for use in my .223's so I'm not knocking the bullet.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top