Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Taurus 44 mag this past week. I fired 4 rounds of 44mag 240 gr xtp the fifth one failed to fire. The imprints are deep and normal except the last one it is shallow and the bullet is out of the shell just of seat line but it just clicked no primer fire to move it. I heard something about some over hard primers put in some of their ammo by mistake. This is a new purchase #9085 and lot 3110415 I can not fine anything of problems but, new ammo no one has gotten around to firring the newer purchases to comment. If I am sinking in deep on 4 I can not see the gun as being the problem. I can deal with a bad lot of ammo vs a bad gun I paid little over half a grand for.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Put some more through it. If it does the same thing twice, load that particular cylinder with another round, and fire (or attempt to) that round only. (checking to see if it is a bad cylinder position)
Another thing to do is take the light strike, and put it in a different position, and give it a try.
If everything works just fine, then don't worry to much about it.
If it continues to strike light on a pareticular cylinder position, the factory needs it back to replace the cylinder. (I'm assuming it is new)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taurus Tracker or ammo

I opened the gun up to look things over. All is mechanically lining up on the firing pin strike. I was looking at the firing pin return spring there has been some talk of people who are taking one coil off it which made the pin strike fine they were also having a strike problem. I can not see doing this as my hammer hits hard and that little return spring would not stop it unless with them the pin was compressing the spring all the way and preventing the firing pin from coming all the way out as it could. My strikes are deep and normal looking as compared to other revolvers I have fired and worked with. I need to get a chance and go out and really test more which would include another brand of ammo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really have no place to go to shoot here also I know the primer info is one thing but I can not find anything on why the FTF round is now 8th inch out of shell but not loose and I heard only a click not even primer fire but maybe primer is not much louder then click this time although second test I have yet to try on it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Walmart sales remington 44 mag soft point at 33.00 for 50 rounds so I will be able to test it better and might know a place to go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will take any suggestions. I looked at the firing pin and ran shell cases thru and watched how deep the hammer went and rotated the shells and cylinder. It may have moved a half firing pin distance but stayed same depth and hole on primer on all on all of the shells. I really guess I need to get out and fire at least a box of 50 rounds before getting any ideas and try to refire the bad one. So do light strike problems occur that much on like a bigger 44mag my 38 taurus never did such maybe as it is used more things will losen up and strike better..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts