Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

Administrator
If I decide to harvest a deer this year I'll see if I can spot one in the backyard. Buy a lisence online sneak out through the front door around back and shoot it.

Otherwise not interested for the same reasons you gave.
The most fun I had deer hunting was back as a teen hunting with my friend and his father out in the Ozark National Forest around Spirits Creek and Potato Knob Mt ,.
Even if we didn't get anything the whole trip was a hoot.

This week gun wise not much except switch out to better scope rings on my Remington 700 varmint rifle I picked up. And working on processing surplus 7.62 NATO into useable brass. Working on the case trimming phase now in between doing other things around the place.

Administrator
Laid off cranking the press handle and turned back to making some rifle slings to sell.
Lordy I hate eBay's layouts for selling stuff. Gonna have to do three listings for basically the same product because there's no drop downs I can set up for color choices.

Well at least Sasquatch Sling Company will get a start soon I hope.

Administrator
I鈥檝e never sold anything on ebay, but have been thinking about doing so lately, to get rid of some things that I rarely use anymore. Nearly 35 years of marriage, and especially the last dozen years or so of being paid in trade by a customer who owns a watch shop, I鈥檓 thinking about paring down other stuff the same way I鈥檝e done lately with guns. The money would obviously be nice, but just reducing clutter & baggage would be nice as well.
I'd wait until after December 1st as they are making changes to how they do the payment transactions.
And it maybe screwed up.

Because right now I sold a antique/ surplus sling but have not seen a penny in either my PayPal or regular checking account.

eBay is switching from using PayPal to pay sellers to direct deposit. Which is better in theory.
But something ain't right right now.

Administrator
I had problems with paypal a few years back, and just closed my account rather than continue the problems.
I don't blame you and at one point it was pretty much mandatory for a seller to have one to do business on eBay

Currently I'm rather impatiently waiting to be paid and not sure if it's gonna be PayPal or eBay transferring money to my account.

I like to ship either same day or next after I sell something but I don't ship without getting paid.

I got a rifle stock to sell plus I hope to have a dozen of the slings I put together for sale soon.

PayPal is "bam" instant but this new eBay system will delay payment up to 3days.
I'm no expert in E business and E money but I assume it's their scheme to bank the funds 3 days to earn interest on them. Probably better than PayPal use and transfer fees in the long run, I hope.

Administrator
Up here in my corner of the state it sure is shaping up to be an odd one already.
Or, I should say stranger than the normal strange weather for Arkansas.:laugh:

I expect some of the typical yoyo weather to be more extreme here. Possibly into April.

Administrator
John - I've only had one thing to deal with property wise and that was a real estate sale of undeveloped land.
I can't even imagine going through a business and property sale of that size.
On mine I had to do the transfer from my mother's estate to my name then do a split and the sale to one buyer all through a real estate lawyer.
After that I know why people hire real estate agents. Biggest hold up was the title company doing the title search. I was about ready to wring someone's neck down there. They couldn't seem to fathom a family smoothly and without strife transferring ownership and dividing real estate I guess.
About the last straw was some green horn getting my property number mixed with the one that had been owned by my Uncle and Aunt. Yeah what a rookie mistake.:spinny:
Once my lawyer's legal secretary figured that out I got a laugh out of it. Stress relief :laugh:

Administrator
There's a blend of reasons why I don't do much hunting here
Some physical, some personal "politics" some me not wanting to be out with the "beer hunters".

There's a couple of places I could hunt with permission but really don't want the bother anymore.

I'm not sure if I posted it on this forum but I could snipe one out the back window if I wanted to. Just don't do much for me anymore.

I'd like to be able to find a place to hunt and roam a bit without bumping into a bunch of bafoons.

Administrator
Got a light dusting of snow here.
Turning into rain and around 34F here.
So much for outdoor burning there's always tomorrow
Speaking of trash and brush would be perfect weather for some ones backyard FTX's.;)

Administrator
All the Marlin and most of the Henry lever action rifles around here are gone.
And of course moderately sized .357, .44 and .45colt DA revolvers are scarce.

Administrator
I bought Her a new large screen TV and hooked it up to HULU and Netflix. I hid the axe. I still make sure she falls asleep before I do.
Hehehe...I just imagined the first time you both settle down to watch something on that new TV and it's announced "Next on Stephen King Movie Night : The Shining starring Jack Nicholson and....":laugh::

Attachments

Administrator
Not too bad got a dose of reality going to the gym for the first time after the C-19 closures and getting Covid-19 just before Christmas.
(I can add that to the list as to why I hate communists and those Chicom Red Diaper baby trolls in particular.)
Anyway gotta get my strength and enduranceup to pre sickness levels. Probably work on endurance first then add more weight until I'm back up to my strength level when I broke my home gym for the 2nd and last time.
Yesterday like I posted in the humor section went to the range at the Crowder Conservation Area at Neosho MO.
Checked the two dot night sights on my new Glock 17Gen3 that I named Stimulus. Shot okay elevation wise but approximately 3 inches to the left. That'll be tweaked probably next week when I hope to go again.
The SA Inc. Range Officer shot and functioned great with JHP handloads Rem 185gr kind of an old standby with me and my friends. As an aside those type are the first reloading supplies I ordered from Midway USA about 30years ago. Now that I know the thing rubs okay and shoots good. Put 2 of 3 shots on paper at 50ys first 3shots before any sight adjustment. Not bad for my ageing eyes. It's a keeper now for minor mids mainly sights and grips. Well already got different grips and yeah more mags definitely more mags.
New Magpul FDE grips.
Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun

Also zeroed or attempted zero of a friend's 700 Rifle his cousin installed the muzzle brake and someone else installed the scope base. Brake worked fine and it grouped excellently. However the 40MOA canted base did exactly as I feared and mad a 100yd elevation POA/POI impossible to obtain.
Probably back to the range next week with it.
I also shot the .300wm Milspec II of mine with the new stock. Only initial test zero at 50yds after swapping out stocks.
New stock scope combo needs eye relief and cheek height twerked. Debating between working down the bolt on cheek piece or getting adjustable one like on my friends rifle.
Anyway not a bad week at all. Hadn't made it up to that range in months.
And remember-"Ashes to ashes and dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it. It's goning to rust."馃榿

Administrator
Fwiw, while I know most people nowadays like the new, cool & tactical 1911 magazines, I've never been able to get past my love of the old-school Colt (actually made by Checkmate) 7-rounders, part number 53355B. Biggest advantages to them are the feedlip angle (which is a hybrid between the original milspec taper and the newer wilson-style parallel 'wadcutter' feedlips), and they also have JMB's true D-shaped follower dimple that helps keep the last rounds from running forward under recoil.

They're by far the most reliable 1911 magazines I own; if a gun (mine or someone else's) has problems, the first thing I do is run it with 53355B mags. If it won't run with them, it likely won't run with anything and the problem is the gun, not the magazine. I have some 8- and even 10-rounders from wilson and a couple other mfrs, but if I were carrying a full-size 1911 for serious purposes, it would be the 7-round 53355B magazines I'd be carrying with it.
John,. You are absolutely right. I've tried the Wilson mags and sometimes they don't work with with various different 1911's.

One time from Midway USA they had some magazines marked High Standard that looked suspiciously like the Checkmate ones but nothing to confirm. Either CMI or close clone and they ran smooth using my standard 185gr XTP handload of the time.

Currently with the supply shortages I'll probably go back to casting lead bullets for the .45ACP.
I'm not considering it to be my main carry or shtf arm so 4-6 more magazines ought to be fine for now. And yeah they'll be CMI ones.

Administrator
Honestly kinda sucky. Had 2nd flat in as many weeks. 12v tire inflator went FUBAR well 2 did but one needs a part not listed as a replacement.馃檮
Still have my big compressor in the garage but it's handy to have one onboard the vehicle that actually works.馃槤
Gotta figure out why my lawn mower ain't firing up. Maybe something simple I hope.
Got my property taxes oh joy they went up! Think I know why but I need to double check.馃檮
On the bright side of things I finally got in touch with one cousin in the Northern Illinois area. Found out who is and isn't still around and he may come down to visit here sometime late summer or fall.
So there's that good part 鈽

1 - 20 of 88 Posts