Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I got a surprise when my Son showed up on Veteran's Day and said "load up your shotgun we're going Pheasant Hunting. He took me to a Hunting preserve that cost's $90.00 per Hunter, three bird limit. Thinking it would be a walk over I was surprised that we (the Dog's I mean) hadn't kicked up a bird after half a mile or so. The I missed two Rooster's clean. If these bird's were "tame" you couldn't tell it by me. Anyway, we spent five hours and did get our six with no bird's lost. The two Labradors were terrific at finding the downed Pheasant's refusing to give up in some really tough cover. The young Lab, my Son's Dog tends to flush too early so we worked on that. Checking our GPS we had walked just over eight miles. Some "walk over". Great day and my Son insisted on paying for the whole thing and buying my Wife and me dinner at a "Safe" restaurant. I think I'll keep him.

Attachments

Reactions: BigEd and Dorobuta

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Well, it has been up and down. I got all my Christmas shopping done, 95 % on line, and the credit card paid so that's a done deal. I didn't shoot a Deer, that's what I get for passing up legal Doe for "The Big Rack." Took the Dog for a hike after Deer season (Gun) ended and twisted my knee when tripped over a dead fall. Hiked the three miles back to the car cussing the whole way. ACE hardware opened up a sporting goods section in the small town not too far from me and had .22, 9MM, and .45 ACP. 3,1, 1 box limit respectively. I grabbed the limit without looking at the price. It rang up to $103.00 and change. I did some pistol shooting with a Walther P-38 I bought long ago and kind of forgotten about. Heavy DA but very good SA trigger. Trim semi-auto with a lot of modern features for a WWII gun. The CMMG kit continues to be fun, but dirties up with Blazer and GB's at about the 140 round mark. I'm going to try the Mini-Mags next.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Hunter's are encouraged to shoot Doe here. The Deer herd is actually too large some DNR folks say. I know we're getting a lot less out of state Hunters. Cost is the reason. I probably would of taken one but I still feel a little guilty shooting more than one Deer per Family.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I only Deer hunt my own land. Plenty of state land open to hunting, but not for me. Most of the "Accidents" have been from group hunters shooting each other. It get's worse as the season goes on with with "Gotta get a Deer" hunters. Two shot other hunters with crossbows!

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Snowed in and now being frozen. VA called and said Covid juice is ready. Too far away to travel they say it will be at a closer location next week. I'll wait until then. Should be ready for my Wife about the same time just not at the VA. I have Deer in the back yard again eating birdseed. I put out some corn. SIL missed a SCAR 17s a guy had for sale for $3,000.00 by the time I told him to buy it the seller must have got word and upped the price. South Carolina so I couldn't jump on it myself.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Not great. The Big R store where I bought my last three guns and where I stocked up on ammunition among other things like outdoor clothes, an axe, space heater etc. is closing it's doors for good. Closest store is now 70 miles away. Cold and snowy. I can hike a bit but I'm in danger of breaking my fool neck on ice patches. Inventorying gun's and ammunition. No sign of a break in the ammo drought. Remembering .22LR was four years. Wife is sharpening an axe. I wonder what that's about?

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I bought Her a new large screen TV and hooked it up to HULU and Netflix. I hid the axe. I still make sure she falls asleep before I do.

Reactions: Garand and BigEd

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Hehehe...I just imagined the first time you both settle down to watch something on that new TV and it's announced "Next on Stephen King Movie Night : The Shining starring Jack Nicholson and....":laugh::
She has her OWN big screen. The last thing I need is an argument over programming.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I did buy a Taurus G3 mainly because I'm curious how these polymer guns by Taurus work. It was $350.00 OTD with two fifteen round magazines. I took it home and cleaned an oiled it then went out in knee deep snow to shoot the little bugger. The grip has an aggressive feel which I like. It also points very nice from the draw. The trigger has a fairly long pull and a bit of creep but a clean break. Recoil was mild and follow up shots were easy. The sights could be better but I had no problem acquiring them against a dark target. The gun is accurate, more accurate than I was expecting. I had no problem getting good hits even at 25 yards. I have no idea about long term reliability, but the gun is solid. I like it. I won't be switching from my CZ's for EDC, but this gun would certainly do the job. It's interesting that three day's later the gun was $370.00 plus back ground and tax. The owner told me he had exactly two left and no more self defense guns of any kind were in the pipeline except for Ruger LCP's. He had some 9MM ammunition of a brand I have never heard of. I declined 50 rounds of it at $35.99.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Same up north here. I've spent more on LP Fuel already than I spent last year and it's only the middle of February. I have two new handguns to wring out and I'm not going to stand in thigh deep snow to do it. Some visitors today.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Water isn't a problem with the river being 10 miles away, not a long hike for Deer. We have seen all kinds of Birds at the feeders and Eagles and Hawks are in abundance near the river. Mineral blocks and some corn for the Deer also, but not too much as pure corn is not a good diet for Deer. They all .look healthy as you can see from the picture. It's supposed to get above freezing next week and I plan to start hiking and getting Winter fat off me and the Dog. I want to wring out the CZ 75 Compact and the Taurus G3 also.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
It was a good week with mild temperatures and the last of snow gone. I had fiber optic sights put on my three CZ compacts, I just shoot so much better with them. Wrung out the Taurus G3 some more. Despite the Taurus hater's I like the pistol and it and the G3C are sold out everywhere. A rumor is being spread that if you pull the trigger while applying the safety the gun will fire. Of course my question is why would you do this with any gun? I'm not trying it and other's say they've tried it and it doesn't happen. My Wife and I got our second Covid shot's, zero ill effects. it's been two weeks so maybe we can stop being hermit's. One thing I will say is we've saved more money in the last year than ever before. I'm optimistically planning our Canada Fishing trip, we'll see. The tourist industry, by this I mean Fishing and Hunting, is claiming they will have massive bankruptcies if they have to be closed for another year. They may allow people in if they show proof of vaccination.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Yesterday I sat in front of the TV and chamfered 374 rds of .30/30 brass that I shot last week looking for a new load for my 1901 & 1926 Winchester M1894's. By the time I had finished the last one, I took off my gloves and realized I had given myself a blood blister. Today its gun cleaning, not that exciting by with the lockdowns up here, not much is.

Earlier this week I had to drive a close friend to the hospital 3 hours away from our town for a scheduled operation, as I hadn't seen him in about 6 months the comments from both of us was how much weight we have gained, the temperatures are starting to rise up here so I'm looking at trying to burn some of this off. Oh, Terry our idiot Prime Minister is looking at keeping the border shut until at least September, due to the fact he screwed up so badly ordering the vaccines. Being the good little communist wannabe he is, he figured China would come to our aid. They told him to piss off and he kept the information secret for almost 5 months before ordering from the US.
Well that's bad news, my Son and I both got vaccinated and have our cards. We were hoping that by June we would be cleared to come. I got an e-mail from our lodge saying they were hoping the same thing, Their business was down by 90% in 2020 and they don't think most of the Fishing/Hunting lodges can take another year of loss. We'll be greatly disappointed, but they will lose their livelihood.

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
One more gun sold, the Mauser bolt-action carbine in 7.62x39. Also sold off most of a case of 75-grain BTHP 223 match stuff that the gunshop owner was interested in.
Damn John, how much .223 or other ammunition are you selling?

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Mostly guns, not a ton of ammo. 14 guns I believe so far, and probably 8k or so of ammo including this 800 rounds today. This 75-grain match stuff was some I kept specifically for one of the guns I put out on consignment earlier this week. (It was the gun I posted a pic of the other morning in the "Precision or rapidfire - can't have both" thread) I included 100 rounds with the gun, and the gunshop owner asked me about having more I wanted to get rid of. Don't plan to sell of much more ammunition, but this was the only gun I really used it in. My other guns would eat this ammo if they got hungry enough, but it's not their favorite.

Being that it still leaves me more than a lifetime supply, may help someone else who needs ammo, and he offered me a little more than I paid for it, I figured 'why not'. This lgs owner isn't jacking up prices the way a lot of places are nowadays. I've sold him other ammo recently and later saw it on the shelves for only $3 per box than he paid me for it.
I'm actually sitting pretty well with ..223, 9MM, .45 ACP and more .22 LR than I'll ever need, but my ears perk up when I hear (read) ammunition for sale. I could use some .45 Colt though. John what do you know about this Silencer Central? I've been weighing the thought about a .22 silencer now that I have three threaded pistols.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Don’t think I’ve ever heard of them. Are they like SilencerShop?
They're advertising a lot in gun magazines. They caught my eye with a full page ad on the back of American Rifleman. You pick out a suppressor and they do all the paperwork for you. I'm going to look into it further.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
They're advertising a lot in gun magazines. They caught my eye with a full page ad on the back of American Rifleman. You pick out a suppressor and they do all the paperwork for you. I'm going to look into it further.
Here's what I'm looking at, 7 to 9 month wait. Sound about right? Should fit the TX22 and S&W, only one's I have with a threaded barrel. $535.00

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I’m not up on a lot of suppressors lately, or even the newest gun stuff in general. We’ve been so busy that I haven’t even finished my first form 1. I submitted and paid for in August, but didn’t get the acknowledgment back from ATF until late December, and by that time I just had too much going on to want to spend the time to pursue it.

Biggest consideration for me with a rimfire suppressor would be that it has to be one that you can disassemble for cleaning.
Thanks. I'll be sure to check that out.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
LEOSA Shoot coming up. I'm actually good until September, but I like the Spring shooting range better. This year I'll use the new 75 Compact I bought. The CZ Kadet KIt allows me to use .22's on any of the 75 frames, so I'll shoot a couple of hundred .22's before switching to 9 MM. I know the Instructor pretty well so he'll let me shoot with the second group also, and I'll use the CZ 97b for that.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
My LEOSA qual expired last July and couldn't get it re-done due to covid shutdowns. The sheriff is a good guy and told me a couple weeks ago to just call him and he'd take care of it, but I haven't done it yet. I did get my Arkansas ccw permit upgraded to the "enhanced" version a couple years ago.
What's the "enhanced" CCW?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts