Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
201 - 220 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Got a nice surprise last night. Since I've been varying degrees of gimped since July with foot surgeries, I hadn't weighed in real often, and hadn't at all after the second surgery in October. Being unavoidably less active I didn't want to depress myself with weight put on during that time, and just accepted that there would be some. I made a point of eating less sugary crap in the meantime, snaking on nuts & water instead of gatorade and chips or whatever. Wasn't real hardcore or religious about it, just somewhat conscious of it. Weighed in last night and turned out I've lost 6 lbs instead of putting any on. Very happy about that, especially with all the eating I'm likely to be doing in the next 4-5 days. 😎

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
I hear that John.
I've just generally cut down vastly on the manmade drinks. I don't buy soda anymore and mostly drink unsweet tea or black coffee.
If the Coffee ain't like that it's dried milk, which I stock vs canned or regular, a at the most 1/4 teaspoon of unsweet dark/bakers chocolate.

Snacks, well when the local Harps has them in stock I make my own concoction of trail mix for post workout.
Or around here. Sun flower seeds*, pumpkin seeds*, banana chips and dried cranberries.
*-Unsalted
Plus Diamond mixed nuts packets if available.

Some of the better stuff is hard to find.

One brand of bread Blue Bunny - Whole Wheat is always out almost every time I go there.

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
Separate subject.
Went up to Lowell AR yesterday and helped a friend hang a new swinging glass patio door at the family residence. As we were carrying it around from the truck to the back I remarked we best not do a Laurel and Hardy job with it costing over $400😁.
My friend remarked back yeah we need one more person for it to be the Three Stooges.
It was close. Didn't break anything but when the box was opened it was not pre -hung on its own frame. That and a few other things didn't impress me. At least not for the cost. It seemed to be to be a "customizable" door rather than a custom door. As the thing was partially cut to be hung left or right opening in the door.🙄 Can't that be determined when it's "custom ordered" ?
I swear quality is job none at a lot of places anymore.
"Who is John Galt?" is really starting to pop into my head more and more.🙄

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
All in all had a great Christmas weekend with friends I consider family at different times and in different ways
Talked to a friend from junior high school I got a hold of through Facebook for a total of 4-5 hours on Christmas Eve. He's living in Tulsa Oklahoma and his family is not around there.
Then Christmas Day had dinner with my brother from another mother.
It was nice but kinda sad as his mother passed this October.
But nice to see and hear that his son has finished High School early and I hope goes down the path to being a conservative history professor and maybe author.
That kid is way into military arms and history.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Got the brace swapped out on my .300bk pistol. It had a fixed brace that made the overall package just a hair too long to fit into its old bag since I replaced the 8.5" upper with a 10" one several months ago. Between the guns I've sold off lately and the semi builds I've done in the past, I had this adjustable one laying around, so no money out of pocket which is always nice. Would have had it done a few days sooner but of course I lost the takedown pin retainer spring in the process, so I had to get a new one, and just finished it last night. To avoid that in the future, went ahead & ordered a couple of $9.99 stag arms "lost part kits" that contain a small quantity of the smallest & probably most-often lost lower receiver springs & pins:
Rectangle Font Circuit component Parallel Electric blue

Hopefully will never need them again, but without them, your gun is pretty much out of commission, so figured it was worth the $20.

Still need to function test the gun, since this new brace has its own buffer tube. Shouldn't be an issue since it's the same length as the old one, but no way to be sure without testing it.

Also still working on selling off a bunch of our customer accounts. Not everything yet, but what should be enough to buy out the one minority stockholder (a family member) in our business other than my wife & myself, and also pay off the house. That's one thing my wife has said she'd really like seeing before she's gone - having the house paid off - so trying to make it happen. Looks like it may happen in the next month or so, but no firm date yet. Best part is that the buyer has no physical presence in our area, so will almost certainly be using us as a subcontractor to service the accounts they buy from us. That would be obviously good for us, but also would mean the customers would be seeing the same technicians that they're used to.

Sometime this year would really also like to get my wife on one more cruise. Been trying for two years now - actually paid for one in Feb of 2020 that kept getting cancelled, postponed, and rescheduled this whole time. Would be really cool if we could get one in while she can enjoy it.

Lastly this week, had to have my wife's jeep taken in for work. Suddenly just won't start, and I'm not mechanic enough to diagnose why in the small amount of free time I have. Main lesson: don't buy jeeps, guys. She loves it, but objectively it's a rough-riding, higher-than-average maintenance, expensive-to-work-on vehicle with all the leg room of a clown car.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Loved jeeps back in the day, in '76 just after I got back for my first tour in the Middle East I bought a 1975 Jeep CJ5, .304, 3 speed. A couple of years later after some serious running with an off road club I had to replace it with a 1977 Jeep CJ7 with a 304, 3 speed. That vehicle could fly across country, which was my problem! Never had a problem with the leg room, but I was 60 pounds smaller back then.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Got the brace swapped out on my .300bk pistol... Still need to function test the gun, since this new brace has its own buffer tube. Shouldn't be an issue since it's the same length as the old one, but no way to be sure without testing it.
Tested the 300bk pistol and got perfect results. Not a ton of shooting since blackout is a caliber I don’t yet reload and I only had 30 minutes or so of daylight left; just five rounds each of 11 different factory loads. Eight full power including Vmax and hog hammer (my two favorite serious-use loads in the caliber) and six various range loads, and three subsonic loads as well. I tested all 11 without suppressor, and then tested the three subsonics, the Vmax and the hog hammer with suppressor. I didn’t bother testing the full power fmj’s with suppressor. All ran flawlessly; not a bobble of any kind in any configuration. Not an extensive test, but this was already a tested & trusted gun. Just testing after some minor lower receiver changes. Very happy to know it’s still reliable.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
After cleaning up the mayhem caused by six Adult's and two Children over the holiday's my Wife and I ate out for a week . No cooking, no dishes. My "dump" trailer was filled with garbage bags too. Anyway, I took some time to shoot my "cheap" 9 MM's. Both the Taurus G3 and the S&W SD9VE performed admirably. The S&W really needed the Apex kit but once it was installed the gun is a really good shooter. The Taurus, while no CZ, is certainly accurate enough for SD carry and is boringly reliable with anything. The little Winchester Wildcat I bought is OK, bur two strikes. First is it's made in Turkey! WHAT? Yeah, a Winchester! Second the blueing had scratches just in front of the fore end. Not a deal breaker, but bothersome. It shoots good and since it takes 10/22 magazines it has a plus side. Now if my suppressor would ever get here..... To add insult to injury since I zeroed in Deer Hunting this year, these guy's showed up in the back of my house. Not
Vertebrate Snow Branch Tree Freezing

e the center one.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Crap weather day today, so all indoor stuff. Got looking thru gun stuff and found that I had a b.a.d. lever on hand so was able to completely (hopefully finally..?) get the 300bk pistol finished how I like them. The b.a.d. lever and wmlx light now on it, the buis co-witnessed with the red dot, and hopefully ‘done’ for a long time to come. Still need to confirm fine zeroing with the buis, but not in this weather.

It’s supposed to snow tonight and I hadn’t run the main generator since before thanksgiving, so test-ran it for just a little while. Started instantly with the twist of the key. God bless honda.

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
Yeah had one of those wet than snowy days. Probably won't venture off the mountain to church in the morning.
The other non denominational community church up here is listed as closed.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Same here. I almost never miss, but even with just what’s on the ground now, my wife’s decided she’s not going out tomorrow, and I’m not gonna leave her home alone in it if I don’t have to.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Don’t know how much snow we officially got yesterday afternoon and last night, but it was still more than 2 inches deep on things this morning:
Snow Sky Window Tree Vehicle

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 · (Edited)
Since we were pretty much stuck at home all weekend, just puttered around the house, doing small chores. Some gun stuff, some hanging pictures for my wife, etc. Also, afterward watched some threat-assessment and tactical-planning videos to get some helpful ideas.

(Okay, it was really just watching 'World War Z' and 'The Tomorrow War' again, but can't hurt... 😁 )

edit - one other thing I got hung on the wall - a Guy Fawkes mask that one of my sons got me for Christmas; put it on the wall next to my dad's pic from WW2. This week would have been his 98th birthday:
Wood Rectangle Font Wall Symmetry

Attachments

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Been a crap week, both with weather and my wife's medical issues. I decided to go ahead & sell my .300bk carbine, since I never use it anymore.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

It's been good with its Wraith HD night-vision scope for night-time nuisance animals, but it was inescapably heavy. Anymore I just use a 9mm carbine with an IR laser/illuminator and NV monocular for that purpose. Don't really need more power than the 9mm for that, and this still leaves me an AR pistol and single-shot carbine in .300bk caliber. Don't need more than that; don't really 'need' that much actually, and still trying to pare down the number of guns & other crap.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
And the .300bk carbine with Wraith HD scope above, sold yesterday. That makes 30 guns sold off or given to my sons in the last 2-3 years. Also the .22 conversion unit for 1911's sold last week, but that doesn't count as an actual 'gun sold'. Strangely perhaps, I don't miss hardly any of them. Really liking this paring down of 'stuff', in the expectation of selling off everything including probably even my home in the next few years.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Sorry about your week John, hopefully something positive will occur soon. I'm on the way out to the indoor range in about 30 min to have one of the few together times that we have had this winter. My wife just got back from spending a week with her oldest after surgery.

Reactions: John in AR

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Sorry about your week John, hopefully something positive will occur soon...
Appreciate that, but "it is what it is" as they say. There's so much that's simply out of our control, that sometimes all we can do is make the best of what we get served. She just got out of the hospital on Saturday and today she's driving her mother ten hours to Houston, where one of her sisters is recovering from stage 3 cancer. (All of her sisters got tested after we got my wife's diagnosis.)

Normally I'd try to talk someone out of making that long of a driving trip so soon after being hospitalized themselves, but she'd rather do it than not do it, and it'll give her at least one more visit with her sisters. Right now it's all about what makes her smile; it really is that simple anymore. I'm hoping that while she's gone I can get some things done around the house that will make her smile when she gets back, but will have to see. I got my second covid vaccination shot on Tuesday and was violently ill most of yesterday. Still a little out of it, but hopefully it should be mostly behind me. Hoping while she's gone to get the last electrical subpanel re-wired from 60 amp to 100 amp, maybe get the high-bay lights up in the garage, and a few other things that need doing.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Appreciate that, but "it is what it is" as they say. There's so much that's simply out of our control, that sometimes all we can do is make the best of what we get served. She just got out of the hospital on Saturday and today she's driving her mother ten hours to Houston, where one of her sisters is recovering from stage 3 cancer. (All of her sisters got tested after we got my wife's diagnosis.)

Normally I'd try to talk someone out of making that long of a driving trip so soon after being hospitalized themselves, but she'd rather do it than not do it, and it'll give her at least one more visit with her sisters. Right now it's all about what makes her smile; it really is that simple anymore. I'm hoping that while she's gone I can get some things done around the house that will make her smile when she gets back, but will have to see. I got my second covid vaccination shot on Tuesday and was violently ill most of yesterday. Still a little out of it, but hopefully it should be mostly behind me. Hoping while she's gone to get the last electrical subpanel re-wired from 60 amp to 100 amp, maybe get the high-bay lights up in the garage, and a few other things that need doing.
What Covid vaccine did you get? My entire Family got the Moderna, two shot's and a booster, and other than my DIL feeling tired for one day, no negative reactions at all. Just different metabolism's I guess. No shooting or hiking, we had a warm (45) day and the foot and half snow started melting and then froze again making footing treacherous every where. Still no suppressor, 9 months now.

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
John, I can't say I know how you feel because everyone is different and in different situations. And Ive probably said that before.
I do understand having to ride things out as they happen.
Covid19 shot wise l still have not decided.
After having it 13+ months ago according to some my natural immunity is worn off but not by other reports.😑
I don't even know what shot is available through my insurance and pill pushers office.
I know if I want to travel at some point outside the USA I'll need it.
Although where I'd like to go is close to a hot spot right now.🇵🇱
And I doubt age and International laws would allow me to do much of anything useful.
Plus my command of the Polish language is just enough to get me into trouble.🤣

201 - 220 of 320 Posts