Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
261 - 280 of 320 Posts

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
My CZ comment: yep it chaps me that beyond "generic" holsters there's not much out there. I've looked at a few of their models and looking at the "whole package" of firearm and available accessories for field and CCW it's been frustrating.
Just like for my MAG-98 I'd like to carry ccw it now and then but it ain't worth the +/-$90 for a custom kydex IWB holster. I'm to the point of setting up to work my own kydex.😑

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 · (Edited)
No gun stuff to speak of, but this past weekend got most of the components of the storm cellar backup power mounted on the concrete wall; storage inverters, 240-volt disconnect switch, battery cutoff switches, etc. Last night got home at a decent time and started on the wiring. Only got it maybe one-third wired, and still waiting on two more pieces - another transfer switch to swap the inverter input source from grid power to generator power and an outdoor connection box to serve as a permanent generator connection point instead of connecting to a heavy 10/3 extension cord as it now is. Once those come in, I should be able to get it completed and be able to power the storm cellar not only from grid power or direct generator power, but also have battery power sufficient to power the cellar on a limited basis for nearly 24 hours without relying on the generator for constant power nonstop.

Due to the scope of the project, went ahead and ordered a generator that I hadn't planned to, but one that's a compromise of several things. Main compromise is that it's not a Honda - I decided a while back that I'd never buy another small-engine device (generator, four-wheeler, whatever) that wasn't a Honda; and this time I compromised & went with a Westinghouse generator, mainly because of cost. My existing generator is a Honda but is only 4000 watts, and ordered a 9500-watt Westinghouse for a third the price of what a similar-size honda would be. I don't like the compromise, but likely won't be in the house more than another few years and am also keeping the smaller honda as a just-in-case fallback. Got a galvanized ring-bolt epoxied in place this past weekend for cable-locking the new generator in place, and will probably leave it out there constantly, instead of wheeling the smaller honda in & out as I have in the past. There are two upsides of the compromise beyond price - first is that the Westinghouse will run on both gasoline and propane, and secondly is that it has remote start so once it's set to go (fuel turned on, main switch on, etc) it can be started and stopped without even having to go out and lay hands on it.

This project snowballed on me some, but besides being good to have while we're there, if I do end up selling the house & moving in the not-too-distant future, it should increase the value of the house at least as much as it cost (possibly more) since I'm doing all the work myself; so it should(?) be recouped at that point.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Emailed the sheriff and got scheduled to do the LEOSA qualification next week. Mine expired during the lovely covid nonsense, and even though I do have the arkansas 'enhanced' ccw permit figured it was time to go ahead & get that back on track.

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
Azure Rectangle Font Art Aqua
Been slow to finish various projects for myself. Next few days or next week at the latest I'll be going to the range, probably the Calvin and Hobbes one.
And put a little lead downrange out of my .300BO pistol.
I picked up a box of S&B 200gr FMJ Subsonic.
As that's pretty close to what I'll be loading weight wise.

I figured new ammo instead of my hand loaded stuff would be best in case I need to debug any issues.

Surprised they had a decent variety and amount in stock.
Today I'm fixing to work on the lawn and brush err I mean the #@$! Hedges I inherited. I'm thinking of literally salting the ground they are in along with the saplings trying to pop up along the gravel driveway.
If my feet and attitude cooperate.😛

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Hit the range yesterday with all the winter projects I built, 9 rifles, 3 handguns. I really underestimated what I had put together this winter, I figured that I'd have everything wrapped up in 1 day. I barely got all the chronoing and 25 yard 3 rd groups completed. Looks like I'm going to find some time to fit in another 2 full days on the range. Its going to be tight as my wife and I are shooting matches every weekend for at least the next 6 weeks.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I found a nylon holster on Amazon to fit my TX22 and Sig P322 with a laser and suppressor. No quick draw, but it will carry both guns comfortably. Velcro straps instead of belt loops, I have to see how that works out. Extra magazine pouch on the holster, kind of a handy. It was only $32.00 delivered so if it doesn't work out no huge loss. I'm liking the Sig P322 more and more.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Finally have some actual movement on selling off the first part of the business. Have most of the accounts involved (not quite half our total accounts) moved to the buyer's monitoring center, and once things are all confirmed/sorted/tallied, we'll do the actual closing & get paid for them; probably the end of the month or so.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Well day 1 of a 2 day match, the wife smoked my butt! If I could screw it up, I did it with ease. Lots of misses, a proceedual, least I didn't shoot anyone, including myself. Well today is a new day, I need to redeem myself.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Well I picked up my game today, 6 stages only 1 miss. My best stage was a stand and deliver, 10 rds of rifle, 2 shotgun and 2x 5rds from holstered pistols, total 22 rds from 4 guns, starting with the rifle at the shoulder on an empty chamber. I cleaned the stage in 28.61 seconds! Melvin how fast do you think you could do this? Today I beat my wifes score, so we broke even for the weekend.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Nothing major relating to guns, but did order a new bullet mold for .45 Long Colt. My heaviest mold has been 230-grain, and isn’t a design that’s ideal for tumble-lubing as I use. So I found a six-cavity mold for 300-grain bullets that’s better suited for tumble-lubing. It’s intended to be used with gas checks, but at the moderate velocities I intend to run them, a gas check really won’t be necessary. I’ve only got a little less than 500 lbs of lead remaining that’s sorted & cleaned up for casting, but at 90% used for 9mm/38/357, and the remaining 10% used for .45 Colt, that will do around 25k bullets in all, even with the .45’s being the heavier 300 grainers.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Got my leosa qualification done this morning, so it’s back in effect for another year. Shot a disappointing 476/500, but sue me; I don’t shoot my glock much anymore and it doesn’t point the same as the P30 and CZ do. (And I can come up with more excuses if necessary. Eight AM with no coffee in me yet, cheap fmj ammo, all kinds of things… 😁 )

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
My LEOSA qualification is a mess. Originally scheduled for 5/14, now it's not until 7/14. I sent my paperwork in and had it returned twice because it was "lacking the qualification record???? Of course it's lacking I haven't shot yet! I contacted a Friend in the WSP and hopefully he can get ot straightened out. 20 years without a hitch and now this!

• Sad
Reactions: Garand

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
Decided to chance driving up to the range in southern Missouri today.
Function tested 2 and zeroed 2 with some over lap there.
Now I'm cooking off at the Oriental Restaurant in Neosho. Felt like the heat was getting to me the last hour.🥵

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Your idea for Chinese was a good one, my wife went to help her mother move, so as a "bachelor" I got take out too!

261 - 280 of 320 Posts