Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
The Oriental is a great place. It serves a mix of Chinese and Korean food. The original owners were Korean. Although most of the food people would think of as Chinese. Especially now with the ownership change.

For the cost it sure beats a burger, fries and milk shake.

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
Oh, another thing about yesterday.

A brief range report. Well maybe not too brief.

1. Test fired the .300BO Pistol Upper. Didn't have any true malfunctions. But the S&B 200gr Subsonic didn't have enough gas/ energy to lock back the bolt carrier. Zeroed at 50yds with the BUIS so far. Drop at 100yds is roughly 10". Was funny hearing that bang then "thump" on it's impact. I didn't have my chronograph to check velocity but it couldn't have been very much out of the 8.5" barrel.
2. I switched out the UTG (yeah I know) QD scope rings off my AR-10 and put remounted my Leupold 3-9x Mk-AR Scope with a Burris PEPR QD Mount. Then rezored it. While I know the Burris mount system is better quality. It did raise the scope nearly 1/4" and change my cheek weld.😑
May have to go to something else like Warne QD Rings.
3. The "Veloceraptor" Project. Already commented some on the success of the heavier springs so no risk of hitting anything in low earth orbit with the ejected brass. Still debating going up to a 22lb recoil spring.

Now an epic fail so to speak not of any of the guns but I was going to record a impromptu video right after I finished shooting my 1911 from the bench. In fact I thought I had started recording and ended up basically talking to myself all the way up to the 100yd line. Yeah I was feeling a little frisky and shot a full magazine just to see the drop at 100yds and see if the pistol, ammo and I could remain stable to hit anything.
But did take these two snaps.
Cloud Self-propelled artillery Motor vehicle Plant Green

Not so much a group but a pattern at 100yds with one miss maybe from the wind as I didn't try at all to correct for the intermittent cross winds
Road surface Art Traffic sign Rectangle Font

Funny thing is my hold and drop was similar to the .300BO pistol upper. At the 12'oclock of the top bullseye.
I think this 1911 is a keeper.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Have a feeling we're about to 'adopt' two more cats. One of our sons who lives several hours from us is coming to visit this weekend, and yesterday texted us that he found two kittens left in the apartment complex dumpster. (People really do suck.) My wife has repeatedly told me how cute she thinks they are and I hugely suspect she and he are in cahoots more than they're telling me. We'll see, but odds are we'll have four cats by the end of the weekend instead of just the two we have now. But with my current paradigm of "if it makes her smile it's good, and if it makes her sad it's evil", it qualifies as a good thing I guess.

The new orphans:
Cat Leg Felidae Carnivore Whiskers

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
My wife is away, helping both her mother and daughter move 2 houses at the same time, clean house, paint, etc. I was told to stay away as movers were hired and the women would sort things out. So its been a Cowboy match last weekend, long range Tuesday, working brass yesterday, and leaving for another 2 day Cowboy match with a shooting buddy tomorrow. Busy times.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
A little catch up on things. About done with the biggest part of my rifle refinish project.

Most important though is this Friday I mended a broken bridge with an old friend and we have an understanding of both our positions on a relative of his.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Didn’t end up with any new cats. My son’s girlfriend had to work over the weekend & couldn’t come down with him, so she kept the kittens up there with her (in Big Ed’s part of the world).

Did get the first of the back wall corner posts set & concreted yesterday afternoon. It’s a ridiculous amount of work digging post holes or any kind of holes in our ground due to the amount of rock in it. Our location is usually very windy, and the I’m less concerned with the lean-to roof collapsing than with it taking off like a sail or a backyard trampoline with all the wind we often get. So to make sure that the post footings hold ‘down’ enough on the posts, am making them larger than normal. Due to the ground getting so hard at such a shallow depth, can only get down two feet or so. Only have a six-inch auger, and so to get extra mass on the footing am doing two six inch holes side by side and then digging them out to make one oblong hole. The ground is so hard, I literally have to use a jackhammer to break it up, and only then can the auger remove it.
Pneumatic tool Drill Handheld power drill Hammer drill Power tool

I’m too old for this crap.

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
In my yard one side seems to be gravel from an old creek bed. West side kind of up hill. On the east side where the little wet weather creek is a foot to eighteen inches and it's bedrock.
In between that and the topsoil it's rock and red clay.
If that red clay ever in time was subject to a drought or a forest fire I can see it being tough if it got really baked.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Sold off a fair amount of empty brass, calibers that I have no expectation of ever reloading but had on hand for various 'just in case' reasons. Some were calibers (223, 308, .300bk, .30 carbine) that I shoot but never have reloaded - I kept brass that I shot over the years just in case I ever did want to reload it. A couple hundred .44 magnum that I'd kept on hand from a family member's gun just in case he ever wanted/needed any reloaded; and also 454 Casull, which I used to shoot & reload, but never plan to again. Kept all my normal pistol stuff - 9mm, 38, .357, 45LC, 45acp, etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,590 Posts
I still have two buckets of brass to sort through. I always end up with a bunch of brass in calibers I don’t own. usually I just give these away at my next range session

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Had a really good weekend this past weekend. My wife & I met our sons in Branson Missouri and had a really good time. We spent Saturday not doing a whole lot, but did Sunday & yesterday at Silver Dollar City & it was a lot of fun.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Last week was the first Canada trip since 2019 and we had a good time. Weather was not good, but we still caught a lot of fish. They have taken a real beating up there due to the lack of tourist trade for two years. Many small business's went under. Even banks closed some branches. Our host's weathered it out but they said it was rough. Got a picture for Garand, I don't remember if I posted this before. Some fish we caught and a Bear Cub and Moose Fawn we saw. Oh, and Pelicans all over!
Plant Natural environment Flag Vegetation Tree
Water Vertebrate Sleeve Fisherman Outdoor recreation
Water Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft
Cloud Plant Sky Water Natural landscape
Water Plant Water resources Tree Fluvial landforms of streams
Water Water resources Ecoregion Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape
Water Water resources Liquid Fluid Lake

• Love
Reactions: Garand and BigEd

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
Excellent pics, my wife and I just got back from a 4 day match, a day early. It rained all the 3rd night and continued to drizzle when we hit the first round down range. My wifes feet were already soaked so we packed it in rather than shoot for another 3-4 hours. Just a miserable day.

281 - 296 of 296 Posts