Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
301 - 320 of 461 Posts
did you get a short stroke kit and a trigger job done on your '73? They really make the rifle sing!

Reactions: BigEd
Discussion starter · #302 ·
I did; got a CodyMatic action job on it including short-stroke modification, trigger job, lightening of the loading gate spring, and brass bead front sight. I don't know how he does the short-stroke change on it without changing parts, but he says the parts are all still factory original. I assumed he'd have to use different linkages in it to accomplish it, but somehow he doesn't have to. It's MUCH nicer shooting than from the factory, and from the factory it wasn't horrible. He also did a leather wrap on the lever loop. I didn't request it and he didn't charge for it, but I do like it.

Grey Air gun Gun accessory Auto part Shotgun

The short stroke isn't as short as some I've seen, but substantially shorter than it was from the factory. This is it at full travel:
Air gun Tool Trigger Gun barrel Wood

This was last September, when I first tried it out after getting it back from him.

Looks good! Like you, I was more familiar with the Winchester M92 & M94, but after a few hundred rounds down range it fit in perfectly. Finest pistol caliber lever I have ever used. Great choice for a "grey man" role under 100 yds.

Just a note, earlier this spring I had a new front sight installed in my 1901 Winchester M94, .30-30, while I was zeroing the rifle for 100 yds, I noticed a tendency to short stroke my M94. Too much time with my M73 I guess.

Discussion starter · #305 ·
It’s been the busiest and possibly craziest couple weeks I can recall; and as crazy as the last few years have been, that’s saying something. In the last two weeks:

My wife & MIL drove to Houston to help my wife’s sister whose cancer has spread to the point where she now has to get chemo treatments through a port directly in her head.

After three tentative (and missed) closing dates and four scheduled “firm, final” closing dates that were also set and missed by the buyer, we finally closed on the sale of a bunch of our customer accounts. Been working on it with this particular buyer for a year now, and they bought approximately 40% of our customer accounts or 25-30% of the business’ total value. The day we finally did close (after missing four scheduled closing dates), my wife & MIL were in the car driving back from Texas and had to e-sign the documents in the car.

Same day, I came up positive for Covid. This was my second time getting Covid, the first time being back in February. So had to attend to all the craziness & rat-stomping that accompanies a large transaction like this while sick, stuck at home and having to do things remotely & in a brain fog.

Since my wife’s immune system is so shot from four years of chemo, instead of actually coming home when they drove back to arkansas, she stayed at her mother’s place 20-30 minutes away, to avoid being exposed to me while I was covid positive. She finally came home from her mother’s house yesterday.

All that negative stuff having been said, after the closing and getting paid for the accounts, were able to pay off our house, which is an awesome thing. We had the land paid off previously, but did take out a loan when building the house.

This week we also had our 36th wedding anniversary, but were both too wrung out to do more than go out to eat. I’m still wrung out from Covid and she stays wrung out from the chemo. We’re quite a pair right now.

Got word yesterday that the last of our kids (“kids”, sure) got their passport delivered. We’re planning on taking them to Mexico later this year and neither of our sons or their accompanying females have ever had a passport before. So it’s good to have those finalized and not have to worry about it.

And then – as if to cap things off – when doing our monthly sales tax report today, I saw that June was the busiest month we’ve ever had. We did more business in June than we’ve ever done in any month in the past, and around 30% more than average.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Terrestrial animal Snow

Well so much about a 2 gun match tomorrow, on Thursday just after I got everything packed to go I managed to stretch a tendon in my right shoulder. Its a repetitive stress injury that first reared its ugly head earlier this year. By Friday morning I couldn't lift my right arm above my shoulder. My Chiropractor HIGHLY suggests I skip the match if I have any intention of shooting any matches in September. Great choice, pay now or pay later. Retirement is great, getting old s**ks!

• Sad
Yeah, I know. I've had several old injuries that decided to hold a "reunion" in my legs a week ago. Mainly in my left knee
Nonetheless, I just keep plodding in the best I can.
I had intended to get a couple of my rimfires bore and rough sighted in today in the backyard. But got sandbagged with a few other things today.
Maybe later tomorrow.

Discussion starter · #309 · (Edited)
Last week was great. We took our sons, our daughter-in-law and the other son's girlfriend to Mexico last week and we all had a great time. The Yucatan peninsula is about our favorite go-to place for vacations, especially the more southern state of Quintana Roo, and that's where we spent Saturday to Saturday last week. Snorkeled the second largest barrier reef in the world (runs from the Cancun area all the way down to Honduras), and where we were staying it was just a couple hundred feet off shore. Visited old Mayan ruins in Tulum where my wife & I had been 20 years ago but our sons hadn't been to. Hung out at the beach, grilled at the rental house, took local public transportation (the "collectivo" that costs ten pesos [~50 cents] to go pretty much anywhere in or across town), made a lot of great memories, and most importantly made my wife smile a lot. Great, great week.

(She'd kill me if she knew I was sharing this photo online; the chemo has really affected her badly & put a bunch of weight on her. I tend to envision cancer patients as being emaciated, but it's done the opposite to her.)
Sky Cloud Water Tree Plant

Glad to hear that you and your wife had a great time and got some memories with the family.

Discussion starter · #313 · (Edited)
😉 Learned a new word on this trip too; "gigantesco". (I know "gigante", but had to look "gigantesco" up). As in a little 4-yr-old girl in the grocery store to her mom: "Mama, mira al ****** gigantesco!" Didn't know what it was, but could tell mom was mortified so I told her "todo es bueno, senora" (which I may have butchered & should maybe be "...esta bien..."; my spanish is freshman or sophomore level at best). After the mom hustled the little girl away, I looked it up on my phone and my wife got another laugh out of it. She looks short in the pic above, but she's 5'9"; I told her that's what she gets for vacationing with shrek.

{edit - seriously? the site won't allow the word "******"..? Six letters, means white guy, ends in "-ringo".}

John, sorry about the auto censor. That's just standard for pretty much all the fora sites globally as far as I know.
Anyways, your encounter reminded me of what a similarly aged child said about me at a local Walmart back during the mask mandate era. Due to me not wanting to really resemble a Sasquatch I went back to shaving my head. Also I vowed that if I have to wear something for "my health" it's going to work. That's why I resorted to wearing a half face respirator with P100 filters. Well one day I'm in Walmart, going down an aisle and some tyke starts pointing and say ban? then maybe bane Bane. 🤣
Being about 5":taller than Tom Hardy I can see the confusion.

Well its been 11 days since I hurt my tendon in my right shoulder. The last few days the pain has minimized and a local 3 stage club match came up yesterday. My chiropractor told me to skip it. (Note to self: Never again marry into a family where there are 6 active or retired chiropractors). Since the pain was decreased I decided to shoot it, giving my wife's opinion good thought, I installed my Kimber .22 Conversion kit on my Series '70 and went. Yes I had a great match, on the first stage I came 3/13, the second stage 2/13 and the 3rd stage 2/13. For an overall placement of 2/13. This blew me away! This morning there is just a bit of minor pain.

P.S. I was also the only competitor that shoot all 3 stages CLEAN!

Going great with a Carp shoot then I fell over backwards as I was climbing back into the boat when a wave hit it sideways. Son and Grandson thought it was tragic. Tragic that they didn't catch it on a video. CZ P-09 and Sig 322 soaked and the guns and spare magazines filled with sand. It took me a couple hours getting the sand out of everything. Eagle on shore dining on a deceased Carp.
Water Sky Shorts Cloud Vertebrate
Water Fish Fin Fisherman Tail
Water Plant Plant community Sky Lake

Except for the spill and cleanup, least it was good family time, memories. Getting ready for a 2 gun match on Thursday and both a Wild Bunch and Cowboy match on Saturday. It will be a very long day Saturday, but matches will start winding up soon.

Discussion starter · #320 ·
Terry - that’s funny. I know the ‘appropriate’ response is “that’s a shame”; but no, that’s funny. 😁

One of my sons sent me a picture last night from our mexico trip; something I saw but didn’t take a picture of. When we were driving thru cancun we came across a weird black arch in the middle of the road - it wasn’t until we were right up on it that we saw that it was actually where someone had done what they could to ‘fix’ a missing manhole cover by sticking a tire in it. So hillbillies aren’t just in the usa; good to know. 🤠
Car Sky Vehicle Tire Wheel

301 - 320 of 461 Posts