Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
361 - 380 of 395 Posts

· Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·
Got home early yesterday and managed to do the first probably five or six pistol-vs-carbine velocity tests. This was five 9mm loads and still have eight more 9mm loads I want to test, so probably two more tests with 9mm; and planning one each with .357 magnum and 45 colt.

Of the five loads I tried yesterday, from the 16" resolute,the three +P loads (Corbon Pow'rBall, Federal 9BP-LE and Underwood Xtreme Defender) all got more than 625 ft/lbs; with the Pow'rBall averaging 730 ft/lbs at 1814 fps. If youtube ever finishes 'processing' it (whatever that entails), I'll post it.

· Administrator
2,793 Posts
Well it's up there and approved as I'm watching as I type this. Interesting you mentioned the varmint bullets and the .300BO I've been thinking about the SPEER 125GR "TNT" as something to load up. They were pretty good in .308Win back in the day for accuracy.

· Registered
10,987 Posts
My laptop died requiring me to by another, the next day while driving to the computer store, I hit the brakes at a pedestrian crossing, slid into the car in front of me on the icy road. I was doing 10-15 mph under the speed limit, wasn't slow enough.

· Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
I really do not miss winters up north. Tomorrow's supposed to be a high of 44 here and a low of 25 (+7 to -4 C or so..?), and even those temps are colder than I like it anymore.

· Administrator
2,793 Posts
Weather report for when I got up to let the cat out.
(Yes, I have a car that's house broken like a dog.)
Snow in NW Arkansas this time of year isn't unheard of but it's rare.
At least it zapped any remaining bugs out there.

Plant Snow Freezing Tints and shades Groundcover

Atmosphere Font Astronomical object Science Screenshot

· Administrator
2,793 Posts
Well no snow or ice yet but the wind must have blew in some bug I wasn't familiar with.
Not insect but flu type....so yet another delay in taking a short vacation. 🙄

· Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 · (Edited)
Started snowing here a little before 4 this morning and was still going when I left the house around 5:45. Six thirty now; just checked our cameras (I'm at work), and it's still coming down but much slower now, looks like it's about done.
Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle

I know this is at least the third snow we've already had this fall, maybe the fourth. Could be just a fluke start, but could also mean an interesting winter.

· Registered
10,987 Posts
Looks depressing!

· Registered
5,689 Posts
Opening Day tomorrow, 11 Degrees in the Morning. I hope we shoot something quick!

· Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
Got some pre-winter things done, as this winter looks likely to be a substantial one. The mini-split air handler that serves the storm cellar froze up both of the last two winters when we had ice & freezing rain, so I built a cover over it to keep precipitation off it. Both last winter and the winter before, I was out there with a hair dryer thawing it out and don’t want to keep doing that if we can avoid it. I’m planning to add some small diagonal supports out of ¾” EMT to add some more strength, but didn’t have it at the house Saturday.
Building Wood Gas House Pet supply
Wood Building Gas Facade Siding

Also finished the final wiring for the generator-power inlet. The backup power system has been functional for quite a while, but the final penetration through the concrete wall wasn’t done. The cable penetrated out of the storm cellar wall into a small storage room that led outside, but the outer storage room door had to be left cracked open for the cord to get out to the generator. This weekend I got the wall penetration, conduit (on the inside) to the penetration, and the close-able weatherproof inlet box on the outside installed, wired and tested. Thank goodness for good hammer drills - it took a 3/4" hole to fit the heavy four-conductor (10/3/G) SOOW cable through the 8" concrete wall.
Wheel Bicycle Automotive tire Vehicle Tire
Vehicle Tire Hood Automotive tire Wheel

Nice part was that didn't have to buy anything. Already had the inlet box on hand, and the rest was all from leftover materials already on hand. Also test-ran the generator at the same time; this time of year I like to run it for a half hour or so every couple weeks just to keep it 'fresh' and ready to go.

· Registered
5,689 Posts
We got our Deer meat back from the processor, time to do Jerky before Christmas. Shooting the heck out of my two new CZ's despite the weather. I'm very satisfied with the CZ TS2. Pricey as heck, but the accuracy! I'm looking for a woods carry type holster. Really too big for SD although some carry them for that. 20 shot self defense, the anti's would have a coronary.

Reactions: BigEd

· Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
I've never handled a TS2 but they look awesome. With the raves they consistently get about accuracy, it makes me think of a high-capacity P210. Is the trigger as light as they say - something like a pound & a half or something?

· Registered
5,689 Posts
I've never handled a TS2 but they look awesome. With the raves they consistently get about accuracy, it makes me think of a high-capacity P210. Is the trigger as light as they say - something like a pound & a half or something?
Very light, I double tapped a few times without meaning to. Switching from P01 and back is tricky. For me at least a bit light for SD, but I’m killing the LEOSA course. I am invited To a Club shoot, should be interesting.

Reactions: BigEd

· Registered
5,689 Posts
I once had a P-64 that would do that. It had probably a 12-15 pound DA trigger and a 1-2 pound SA trigger.
I had one too and it was terrible and it would easily double tap by itself. As a matter of fact, didn’t we have this conversation years ago? I was on my C&R madness buying everything.

· Administrator
2,793 Posts
Yeah, I think so. Funny thing is I now remember that on a discussion thread. Maybe on the old PN site? Or here. I also vaguely remember the 9x19 stuff that was pretty zippy and or heavy back in the day. Silver Bear? Something like 100 or 110grs?

· Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
I had one too and it was terrible and it would easily double tap by itself. As a matter of fact, didn’t we have this conversation years ago? I was on my C&R madness buying everything.
We did; you're right.

Yeah, I think so. Funny thing is I now remember that on a discussion thread. Maybe on the old PN site? Or here. I also vaguely remember the 9x19 stuff that was pretty zippy and or heavy back in the day. Silver Bear? Something like 100 or 110grs?
The silver bear 115-grain JHP was the hottest I clocked. They made it in 115 and 94, and the 115 was much more punishing. It ran 1004 fps from the little P-64, which was the same size as a walther PPK. Screenshot from where I chrono'ed misc oddball loads years ago:
Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Paper

361 - 380 of 395 Posts