Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
381 - 389 of 389 Posts

· Registered
10,958 Posts
Went to the range yesterday morning and managed 130 rds down range through my M1 Carbine before I had an incipient case separation. Of course, I left my broken case extractors at home. When I got home the closest case remover, I have was for 7.62mm x39, it fit but wouldn't come out, at least until I dropped my .25 cal squib rod down the barrel. Mission accomplished.

Reactions: BigEd

· Registered
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Doing little things to make sure we’re okay if the “once in a generation“ cold spell they’re predicting actually hits in two or three days. Topped off the storm cellar backup batteries off of regular grid power, test ran the generators, and brought home the couple propane tanks that were still at our business from when I cooked our Thanksgiving lunch there. I don’t expect we’ll get huge precipitation or anything, but with the near-record cold they’re predicting it could create abnormal stress on utilities; and I wouldn’t be completely surprised if we lost power off and on simply due to that.

· Administrator
2,749 Posts
John, that's a thought I had about the power grid up here. I'm sorry to say that although the actual linemen do a fine job I'm not impressed with the management teams willingness to spend money on upkeep. I've got my wood stove but always seem lagging behind on wood these days. But I've got two radiant kerosene stoves, big portable ones that my late cousin Jack gave me. Tomorrow I'm going to get some fresh K1...if I had things put up to my liking I'd have 50 gallons in a hazmat locker in the backyard.

· Registered
7,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
Kerosene heaters are great and real popular in our area. I’ve resisted the temptation and just stick with gasoline and propane. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector that’s no more than five or six years old, I’d really recommend getting one at Home Depot or Walmart or somewhere. CO detectors have an inherent limited lifespan. Even if the package has never been opened, 7 to 10 years after they’re manufactured, they’re dead and useless. With all the fancy alarm stuff we have access to through our business, all I use in our own home is the inexpensive, 9V battery CO detectors.

· Registered
5,680 Posts
Looking at Cold, Wind and Snow for the next three day's. Really bad even for Wisconsin in the Winter. Good news is my Son got a promotion to GS-13. Very high on the GS Schedule. Christmas is delayed a week so my Daughter can join us. The Medical field is 24/7 like a lot of professions. I'm stuck wlith two new guns and a lot of ammunition and it's just too miserable out to shoot. Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!

Reactions: BigEd

· Registered
10,958 Posts
Due to my under whelming performances at some matches in the last 2 years, the Canadian government screwing with shooting sports, lack of long-range practice time, the increased cost of gas, the lack of local ranges past 300 yards and finally admitting to myself that age is a large part of the factor. I have decided that in the future I am going to concentrate in sub 300 yd matches and just pass on anything farther out. Prior to Christmas I found a nice home for both my .30-06 & .45-70 and all their accoutrements. This was not an easy decision. I'm sure that if I ever have the requirement to go past 300, in difficult circumstances my scoped Swedish Mauser will fit the bill.

· Administrator
2,749 Posts
Due to my under whelming performances at some matches in the last 2 years, the Canadian government screwing with shooting sports, lack of long-range practice time, the increased cost of gas, the lack of local ranges past 300 yards and finally admitting to myself that age is a large part of the factor. I have decided that in the future I am going to concentrate in sub 300 yd matches and just pass on anything farther out. Prior to Christmas I found a nice home for both my .30-06 & .45-70 and all their accoutrements. This was not an easy decision. I'm sure that if I ever have the requirement to go past 300, in difficult circumstances my scoped Swedish Mauser will fit the bill.
Generally I have mixed feelings on this news.
I understand doing what you need to do
But that whole situation sucks for your nation IMHO.

I just got an update that the state I was born in, Illinois,
happens to be in the verge of passing an assault weapons ban. If it passes, and I'm unfortunately not betting on it failing. I'll never visit the Chicago Illinois area again unless it's an emergency. As I'm not going there unarmed.

And as to long range competition or just shooting
Well, the way things are turning out so far I'm thinking of what I should keep or sell off myself.
Some of the stuff I bought just pre- COVID-19 and they've been languishing. Now with costs rising ...🙄.

· Registered
10,958 Posts
Actually, the government hammer that dropped on us had very little to do with the sale, both of those guns had promised to be sold on my 70th birthday, for about 4 years now. I have been getting very frustrated the last 2 years, as I get older my long-range skills deteriorate. So, I just phoned up the buyers and said, "my birthday came early". I just can't seem to find the time to do everything I want to do these days (did I mention how much I love retirement), I've got memberships in 5 clubs in 2 countries, and I just can't get to them all plus the government is making an a$$ of itself with this woke B$. The worst part of this whole thing will be the waiting until the courts clean up the appalling mess the Liberals made ramming this pack of lies and bad legislation down the throats of 2.2 million firearms owners in Canada. With the cost of living and the changes in current laws, I have to rethink my annual shooting schedule and what I can participate in. Funny, my pension sure didn't rise as fast as the price on gas did!

381 - 389 of 389 Posts