Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

How has your week been - part 2

10938 Views 409 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  BigEd
The existing 'How has your week been' thread has been running along for over three years so I thought it might be time to start a fresh one.

This week I disassembled my H&R .45 Colt 'Buffalo Classic Carbine' further than normally done, to confirm which receiver frame they'd used in making it. I've been halfway debating on having it reamed out to .454 Casull, as there are several gunsmiths that used to advertise the conversion, but I wanted to personally check on the strength of the receiver before looking too seriously into it.

There were two frames that H&R used when making that size gun, the SB1 and SB2. The SB1 isn't hardened and is only good for low-pressure stuff like shotguns, some handgun calibers, etc. The SB2 receiver is hardened and was used in calibers up to .270, so it would be fine for a .454 Casull conversion. Haven't decided whether I'll do it or not; a small gun like that with its steel buttplate in 454 Casull would be punishing on both ends, but it's good to know that it can take it if I ever decide to.

Non-gun stuff, I worked some more on a new storage room inside a storage room. I closed it in last weekend and hung the door a few days ago, and yesterday finished the door hardware and reinforcing. Reassembled a 4" two-sided gondola shelving section that had to be moved for enclosing the new room, regaining the temporarily lost shelf space. Then inventoried the remaining gondola shelving to try and mentally lay out the room's storage setup. We bought a bunch of retail shelving when a store nearby closed up a few years ago, and it's been phenomenally handy.

Have everything done in the new room (including lights) except shelves and electrical outlets; may finish the electrical work this afternoon. Or if the weather's nice, may be a bum and just smoke a cigar on the porch & listen to the city people trying to shoot deer instead. I don't even deer hunt anymore; too many people who haven't touched a gun all year showing up with their new uber-magnum rifles, blasting away with their yuppie howitzers at deer smaller than they are. I don't go into the woods or even our fields & pasture during deer season if I can avoid it. If I can't avoid it, I make sure to be extra noisy and wear an orange vest over III+ body armor... :)
See less See more
Reactions: 1
381 - 400 of 410 Posts
Went to the range yesterday morning and managed 130 rds down range through my M1 Carbine before I had an incipient case separation. Of course, I left my broken case extractors at home. When I got home the closest case remover, I have was for 7.62mm x39, it fit but wouldn't come out, at least until I dropped my .25 cal squib rod down the barrel. Mission accomplished.
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3
Doing little things to make sure we’re okay if the “once in a generation“ cold spell they’re predicting actually hits in two or three days. Topped off the storm cellar backup batteries off of regular grid power, test ran the generators, and brought home the couple propane tanks that were still at our business from when I cooked our Thanksgiving lunch there. I don’t expect we’ll get huge precipitation or anything, but with the near-record cold they’re predicting it could create abnormal stress on utilities; and I wouldn’t be completely surprised if we lost power off and on simply due to that.
John, that's a thought I had about the power grid up here. I'm sorry to say that although the actual linemen do a fine job I'm not impressed with the management teams willingness to spend money on upkeep. I've got my wood stove but always seem lagging behind on wood these days. But I've got two radiant kerosene stoves, big portable ones that my late cousin Jack gave me. Tomorrow I'm going to get some fresh K1...if I had things put up to my liking I'd have 50 gallons in a hazmat locker in the backyard.
Kerosene heaters are great and real popular in our area. I’ve resisted the temptation and just stick with gasoline and propane. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector that’s no more than five or six years old, I’d really recommend getting one at Home Depot or Walmart or somewhere. CO detectors have an inherent limited lifespan. Even if the package has never been opened, 7 to 10 years after they’re manufactured, they’re dead and useless. With all the fancy alarm stuff we have access to through our business, all I use in our own home is the inexpensive, 9V battery CO detectors.
Looking at Cold, Wind and Snow for the next three day's. Really bad even for Wisconsin in the Winter. Good news is my Son got a promotion to GS-13. Very high on the GS Schedule. Christmas is delayed a week so my Daughter can join us. The Medical field is 24/7 like a lot of professions. I'm stuck wlith two new guns and a lot of ammunition and it's just too miserable out to shoot. Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!
Due to my under whelming performances at some matches in the last 2 years, the Canadian government screwing with shooting sports, lack of long-range practice time, the increased cost of gas, the lack of local ranges past 300 yards and finally admitting to myself that age is a large part of the factor. I have decided that in the future I am going to concentrate in sub 300 yd matches and just pass on anything farther out. Prior to Christmas I found a nice home for both my .30-06 & .45-70 and all their accoutrements. This was not an easy decision. I'm sure that if I ever have the requirement to go past 300, in difficult circumstances my scoped Swedish Mauser will fit the bill.
Due to my under whelming performances at some matches in the last 2 years, the Canadian government screwing with shooting sports, lack of long-range practice time, the increased cost of gas, the lack of local ranges past 300 yards and finally admitting to myself that age is a large part of the factor. I have decided that in the future I am going to concentrate in sub 300 yd matches and just pass on anything farther out. Prior to Christmas I found a nice home for both my .30-06 & .45-70 and all their accoutrements. This was not an easy decision. I'm sure that if I ever have the requirement to go past 300, in difficult circumstances my scoped Swedish Mauser will fit the bill.
Generally I have mixed feelings on this news.
I understand doing what you need to do
But that whole situation sucks for your nation IMHO.

I just got an update that the state I was born in, Illinois,
happens to be in the verge of passing an assault weapons ban. If it passes, and I'm unfortunately not betting on it failing. I'll never visit the Chicago Illinois area again unless it's an emergency. As I'm not going there unarmed.

And as to long range competition or just shooting
Well, the way things are turning out so far I'm thinking of what I should keep or sell off myself.
Some of the stuff I bought just pre- COVID-19 and they've been languishing. Now with costs rising ...🙄.
Actually, the government hammer that dropped on us had very little to do with the sale, both of those guns had promised to be sold on my 70th birthday, for about 4 years now. I have been getting very frustrated the last 2 years, as I get older my long-range skills deteriorate. So, I just phoned up the buyers and said, "my birthday came early". I just can't seem to find the time to do everything I want to do these days (did I mention how much I love retirement), I've got memberships in 5 clubs in 2 countries, and I just can't get to them all plus the government is making an a$$ of itself with this woke B$. The worst part of this whole thing will be the waiting until the courts clean up the appalling mess the Liberals made ramming this pack of lies and bad legislation down the throats of 2.2 million firearms owners in Canada. With the cost of living and the changes in current laws, I have to rethink my annual shooting schedule and what I can participate in. Funny, my pension sure didn't rise as fast as the price on gas did!
See less See more
I've been outside a little bit this afternoon using my "Cutmore" to whittle away at the sucker and other larger branches up to 2-2.5" diameter. I'm clearing what I can off with hand cutting tools before breaking out the electric and gas stuff. For two reasons: Exercise and energy costs. The latter the cost in both electricity and fuel...the saws all are old enough to require the no alcohol fuel plus the fuel mix.
I've no real desire to tweak and run them before moving but it is what it is.
Wood Natural material Knife Everyday carry Composite material

Albino Sasquatch paw inserted for scale below.
Organism Gesture Finger Adaptation Terrestrial plant

Could the above image be considered a "thumbnail"one?
See less See more
The last week or so has been unusually good. (That’s why the “Ode to Joy“ on the musical targets; was looking for something purely celebratory to do on them.)

In that time, my wife not only finished her last scheduled post-surgery physical therapy, but we also sold off the rest of our business with the exception of the building itself. The buyer is leasing the building for now with an option to buy, and if he doesn’t buy it at the end of the six month lease we’ll put it on the open market then.

It’s weird being in my early 60s and unemployed, but awesome to have the freedom and flexibility to spend time with her. Going to see if we can maybe do a few small trips in the next year or so. Some options are limited simply because she can’t get the second Covid shot to be listed as fully vaccinated. She got the first vaccination shot right at a year ago because we had a trip planned for last April, and it nearly killed her; she was in the hospital for half a month and almost didn’t make it home from that. So definitely not getting the second shot, and her oncologist agrees.

Haven’t made any concrete long-term plans yet, just playing it by ear one day at a time for now. But overall a very, very good week.
See less See more
Major goof up. Cleaning and procing the guns I realized I actually out my Chinese AK away dirty. Whenever I go to the State range I always clean my gins before putting them in the safe. Somehow I missed this one. Luckily, I had shot non corrosive ammunition through it but talk about tough to clean. I never used so many patches on a firearm before in my life. The first dozen or so came out almost pure black. Used a bore brush in between of course, but ot seemed never ending. I finally soaked the bore and let it sit for a couple hours. Talk about caked on! Now I'm struggling with a price finder. Gun Broker helps some, but like truegunvalues.com a lot of my stuff isn't listed. If anyone knows of another source I would appreciate it. I did pick up some Yugoslavian 8MM form Centerfire systems that wasn't bad on price, but the day's of .05 cents a round are long gone. $85.00 for 300 rounds delivered. 45 Degree heat wave today so I'm going to burn up some 9MM and see of that Sig P322 is actually repaired. Think Spring.
See less See more
I had no problem with retirement, as I was ready to retire. With a total of 42 years working for the government either in uniform or blue jeans I was just fed up. I started my financial planning in my late 40s so my ducks were in a row. The fact that my wife decided to work an extra 5 years, till age 65 was just gravy. It will feel a bit different for a year though.
Well to paraphrase Classy Freddie Blassie: This life was going great. Everything was swell. Then I walked into the kitchen and everything went straight to hell.

My refrigerator picked the worst possible time, as appliances often do to go kaput.

So I coughed up the cash for two separate things. Small tiny refrigerator and a separate deep freezer.
Neither are actually big name brands but when I move I was planning on doing this set up.
While not getting into my dietary needs too much a bigger freezer and a smaller fridge will work. As I generally cook with frozen meats and vegetables.

Oddly enough of course the refrigerator part of my old unit is working fine at this moment but the freezer half in the bottom isn't.
Everything around here being constantly sorted moved before being disposed of one way or another I'm thinking about placing the refrigerator temporarily in one of the other bedrooms until I get that big monstrosity moved out to a staging area to take to the recycling company that handles stuff like that.
Oh joy back to the salt mines now.
See less See more
Update report from "Murphy's Acres"😛 ..
Mini fridge and deep freezer are now both in the den.😃 Yeah, I know but this will also give me some ideas about living quarter size for my small home.
I can also go ahead and start calculating a better idea of my power needs and uses.
Yeah putting the horse in front of the cart more... maybe even before I "invent the wheel" but I like to " plan ahead."😉
Several house-build related things and a couple of gun things lately. Playing phone tag with a truss maker, trying to get our upstairs ceiling trusses laid out and ordered. Been doing a lot of cleaning up up there, plus laying out and snapping chalk lines for the interior walls. Also been doing a LOT of organizing of tools and materials, and built a couple workbenches up there to help make things easier when doing the construction work upstairs.

Went to a gun show about an hour away this past weekend. Sold my HK P30SK to a dealer I’ve known for several years; going back to Glock for EDC just in the spirit of paring down and streamlining things. Also sold off a few miscellaneous pistol magazines; leftovers from guns I no longer own.

Looks like this spring or summer we’re actually going to get to take that stupid cruise that we booked and paid for in February 2020. The cruise lines have been running for probably close to a year now, but with my wife not being able to get the Covid vaccine we couldn’t go. Now they lifted the vaccination requirement, so we’ll finally be able to do it. Really looking forward to that.
See less See more
Reactions: 2
That's great news.
I'm glad they are lifting the vaccine requirements.
Gives me some hope to as to being able to travel.

Myself, I've been running crazy trying to sell. Plus give away stuff. Went through and bagged up 3 decent sized trash bags full of older but some "new old" clothes I'd never worn and dropped them off at a Potter's House Thrift Store.
Tossed several times up on eBay. I need to go through some books I have and give a few of those away too.

I want to get away from this county so bad anymore it's ridiculous. Sorry, just had an awakening about a few things.

Shannon County Missouri or a similar area is looking good for me. Not ruled out some other county in Arkansas yet either. Just this state has so many restrictions in off grid living. Particularly an odd rainwater one it's not funny.

I know sometime in April or May I'll be doing a 2-3day scouting trip to Central/Eastern MO for possible places to live. Before I contact a real estate agent.

And I have to get some issues here in Arkansas resolved first also.

Oh slight update on the refrigerator going kaput. This use cycle and billing my upcoming electric bill is now exactly half of what it was from the previous month.
And I thought it was just the rates going through the roof.😛 It was the refrigerator going slowly kaput.
See less See more
Kind of in flux, just got a new desktop computer installed, in laws came for a couple of days and just had the carpet cleaned, nothing exciting. Waiting for the snow to leave to test some .30-30 gallery loads.
Sigh.... earlier this week I went and lightened my wallet at the courthouse... property taxes.
Expected no shocker there at all but yesterday evening I experienced obvious trouble with my truck which ended up turning out to be a water pump which I had to take care of today so 'cha-ching" approximately $115.
Could have been worse because if it wasn't for a brother from another mother helping me. I would have probably had to hire somebody for the total job and no telling what that would have racked up to being.
Kind of glad I didn't put another Ruger Security 6 on layaway like I had been struggling with you know the firearm addiction especially for classic guns that are built like a tank. I really don't need it but if they still have it who knows I may trade my blued Security Six which I do love for this one which is a another 4-in model but stainless steel and of course not one of the early production models. Oh well.
I'm having a addiction problem also, every morning with my first coffee of the day, I go to my favorite Canadian gun site and checking out what is for sale! Can't break the habit, I want to down size, so I'm not planning on buying. I'm well stocked on bullets, powder, primers (except Small pistol).

On a down side, a local (2 hour drive) commercial bullet caster, competitive shooter & friend, whom I've been buying from for 30 years passed away yesterday of cancer. While their are others in the province, the cost of reloading just took a huge financial jump.

Retirement is a ball, it's getting old that s*cks.
Reactions: 2
381 - 400 of 410 Posts