Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Got a light dusting of snow here.
Turning into rain and around 34F here.
So much for outdoor burning there's always tomorrow
Speaking of trash and brush would be perfect weather for some ones backyard FTX's.;)

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Nothing exciting here because of covid lockdowns, so I let my credit card go tip toe through the Brownells catalog and ordered some stuff for reloading and the M1 Carbine.
Envy you that. This time of year, a local gunshop owes us money and we generally work a trade. This year it was one of three guns I hoped to come out with. A takedown ruger carbine in either 9mm or 22lr, or a short 18 inch or so 1873 in 45 colt. My only 45 caliber levergun is a full size 454 with a recoil pad and a shorter, lighter one would be fun. But no luck; he checked four different distributors and takedown 10-22’s, PC carbines, or 45lc leverguns at all anywhere.

Never had this problem before, but it’s par for the course for 2020 I guess. Normally I’d just wait and carry the debt on the books, but with the possibility of selling the business in the next few months I’d rather put it to bed & be done with it. I figure to give it a few weeks or so & then if necessary come up with an alternate choice.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
All the Marlin and most of the Henry lever action rifles around here are gone.
And of course moderately sized .357, .44 and .45colt DA revolvers are scarce.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
John in AR, I compete with a 19" Uberti M73 round barreled Carbine in .45 Colt, if you can find one snap it up fast. Highly recommended. I have noticed this year, that at the end of the month, I'm finding money left in my checking account, which is probably because we did no travelling at all this year, so I really don't want my credit card getting rusty.......

Reactions: BigEd and Dorobuta

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
John in AR, I compete with a 19" Uberti M73 round barreled Carbine in .45 Colt, if you can find one snap it up fast. Highly recommended...
Sounds about perfect for my purposes. :beer:

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Found a couple more propane tanks that need filling. Thought I had them all, but found these empty in the conex where I'd forgotten about them.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Wasn't supposed to happen until tomorrow, but the people we bought our building from were in town today, so today we wrote & handed them the last mortgage check on the building. They say they'll file the release deed at the courthouse this afternoon & bring us a copy tomorrow. :dancer01:

Substantial milestone for us, and if the business buyer does want to use our building temporarily, we've told him he can do so rent-free for up to six months. Having it paid for will definitely help with that.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Got a copy of the notarized release deed on the building and it has the circuit clerk's stamp on it (meaning it's been filed at the courthouse), so that's finally done & behind us.

Picked up a short ~8" or so section of 4" square tube to extend the rocket stove's chimney a little. Need to fix up a flange to mate the new section to the existing chimney and then I suspect the added draft will make the rocket stove substantially more efficient. Actually getting a little snow again today; two snows this close together is unusual for us in a given year. Two snows this close together before winter even begins is enough to make a person worry. Winter is coming...

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
John in AR, I compete with a 19" Uberti M73 round barreled Carbine in .45 Colt, if you can find one snap it up fast. Highly recommended. I have noticed this year, that at the end of the month, I'm finding money left in my checking account, which is probably because we did no travelling at all this year, so I really don't want my credit card getting rusty.......
Envy you that. This time of year, a local gunshop owes us money and we generally work a trade. This year it was one of three guns I hoped to come out with. A takedown ruger carbine in either 9mm or 22lr, or a short 18 inch or so 1873 in 45 colt. My only 45 caliber levergun is a full size 454 with a recoil pad and a shorter, lighter one would be fun. But no luck; he checked four different distributors and takedown 10-22’s, PC carbines, or 45lc leverguns at all anywhere.

Never had this problem before, but it’s par for the course for 2020 I guess. Normally I’d just wait and carry the debt on the books, but with the possibility of selling the business in the next few months I’d rather put it to bed & be done with it. I figure to give it a few weeks or so & then if necessary come up with an alternate choice.
Heard from the gunshop owner yesterday. One of his distributors had two models come into stock, and I had him order me one of them. It's a Uberti 342440, an 18” 1873 in 45Colt. He says it will be January before it gets here, but that’s not a surprise the way shipping times are nowadays and I have plenty of more important things to keep me busy anyway. I’d rather have a lighter barrel profile (this one has a half-round / half-octagon barrel), but at 18” it shouldn’t be a major thing regardless. It’s a pretty gun, but the best part is that it’s in a caliber that I not only reload, but also cast my own bullets for, so primers & powder are the only shooting cost involved.

Garand – have you had any work or modifications done on yours? I keep reading about short-throw conversions, which sounds like it might be neat to have.

Stock pic:

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
I had a short stroke kit and a trigger job done on both my .45 LC Uberti M73 (the 19" round barreled carbine and the 20" Short Rifle) by one of the top Cowboy Gunsmiths in Canada. Well worth the money, as smooth as melted butter.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
One of our technicians texted me this weekend, telling me he'd bought his first AR & asking if I knew where he could get a red dot and some ammo. After asking him a little about it, I told him I'd see what I could come up with.

This morning I dug out some 5.56 fmj, two Pmags & two Lancer magazines for him. Also found a couple used red dots & told him to try them both, give me back the one he doesn't want, and he could just have the rest of the stuff. It's not hurting me at all, I still have several years' worth of 223/556 on hand, and don't shoot it near as much as I used to anyway; mostly shoot stuff I reload and rimfire stuff instead.

When my wife asked me how much ammo I gave him, I told her "a gallon"... :D

Full power Q3131A bought at $2.49 a box and long-term packed back about the time this guy was born. Don't know if it's because of my wife's illness or what, but I'm seriously enjoying paring down possessions & clutter lately. So far this year I've sold 4,000 rounds of ammo & given away somewhere between 3000 & 4000 more; and really don't mind or miss it. I don't shoot rifle stuff as much as I used to anyway, and this is a good young man with a wife & young child who will get some use out of it.

Also talked with both of my sons about possibly getting rid of my 454's (one revolver, one levergun), and neither of them objected too much. I very rarely shoot the 454's with anything other than .45's anymore, and may be a good time to get rid of them as well. Would still leave me five handguns and two long guns in .45 Colt, plus the Uberti 1873 45Colt that's now on order. The 45LC redhawk I have can take rimmed and rimless 45-caliber cartridges (up to .45 Win Mag), and one of the long guns is an H&R single shot that could be reamed out to take 454 if I ever decided I need that much power in a lightweight carbine again; which I doubt.

All in all a pretty good start to the week.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
I've been trying to "wittle" down my collection since I turned 60 and I got rid of about 12 that I no longer use. Unfortunately in the last 16 months I back slide and bought at least 5 new ones.

With the virus lockdown restricting travel to distant ranges, I'm having a problem figuring out what has become redundant lately. Prices have been jacked up on many firearms to a ridiculous level from what they were just 2 years ago. But many people are short on funds and interested buyers are asking for ridiculous price drops. I think I'll just sit on what I still own for the moment.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I've been trying to "wittle" down my collection since I turned 60 and I got rid of about 12 that I no longer use. Unfortunately in the last 16 months I back slide and bought at least 5 new ones...
Similar pattern here. I've sold ten in the last year or year & a half (the two 454's will make 12 if I sell those), and have bought four in the same time frame.

Halfway thinking I may try CAS shooting one of these days. Probably not real soon, as life is more than crazy busy right now, but likely someday. I watched a number of youtube videos on it this weekend and even the people that aren't top shooters appear to be enjoying it. Once this Uberti rifle comes in, I'll have three of the four guns for it; would just need an appropriate shotgun.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I think I'm down to the stable of firearms I plan to keep, though I still have one lower to turn into something....

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
; would just need an appropriate shotgun.
For over 19 years shooting Cowboy Action and Wild Bunch, my go to shotgun was an original Winchester M1897. In stages where there are 4 or less shotgun targets a SXS has the advantage, in 5+ targets the M97 has the advantage. About 3-4 years ago, after a series of matches every weekend where on the Monday morning afterwards I had to drive 2 hours to my M97 gunsmith, about the 3rd trip/week in a row my wife casually asked if I knew how much had I spent getting my 3 M97's repaired in the last 24 months. Sheepishly I said "yes". She then suggested that I start using her backup Stoegar SxS in 12 gauge and just use my 97's for Wild Bunch. We now have 3 Stoegar Coach guns in 12 gauge. It is highly recommended and there are enough videos on U Tube to show you how to do the simple gunsmithing work to get the gun to maximize its performance. Also I recommend Winchester "AA", either 7 1/2 or 8 shot, Low Velocity, Low recoil ammo.

I think you would enjoy the laid back atmosphere of Cowboy Action, plus it is very family oriented.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
...We now have 3 Stoegar Coach guns in 12 gauge. It is highly recommended and there are enough videos on U Tube to show you how to do the simple gunsmithing work to get the gun to maximize its performance...
I actually watched one video on that specific shotgun this past weekend. I recently subscribed to a couple of youtube CAS-oriented channels; Dead Eye and Jed I. Knight, and Jed seemed to have extraction problems with his Stoeger compared to his SKB. May be just a chamber-polishing issue or something similar; I haven't looked into them much at all yet.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
About 15 years ago, I got a 12 gauge chamber "Flex Hone" from Brownells and have done at least 25 shotguns with it. Great piece of kit. If a shell sticks in my chambers, it is operator error. Again with the Winchester AA, it ejects beautifully, which can't be said of ammo from Federal due to the ribbing on the casing. Winchester is completely smooth.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Broke down & ordered some more 45lc brass, even at today’s stupid prices; and did a thorough cleaning on the 454’s in anticipation of probably selling them after a rifle on order comes in. This would make 12 guns sold in the last year & a half or so, with only four or five purchased in the same time frame. Other than three sold to family or friends, I believe all of them sold for more than I paid for them. A D32 derringer that cost $39 new in 1991 or so, sold used on consignment for $99, and a Freedom Arms “Casull’s Improvement” 22lr mini-revolver that I bought used for $120 in the late 80’s, sold last week for $249. When I dropped them off to sell them I told the guy at the gun shop he should probably price them lower so they’d actually sell, but he was right. People are crazy, but if they want them at those prices they can have them.

Also the employee who bought his first AR last week is coming over this afternoon to try it out and so I can show him how to detail strip and clean it.

Reactions: Garand
41 - 60 of 99 Posts