Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
The technician came out to our house on Saturday and we ran 200 or so rounds thru his new gun, to sight in the red dot and wring it out for reliability-testing purposes. I recommended the Vortex Sparc (old original model) over the TRS-32, and that's the one he settled on.

Showed him how to disassemble the bcg, lubed it up good and headed out to the targets. We got it sighted in at 25 yards, and the gun ran ~200 rounds thru Pmags and Lancer mags without a hitch. Function was flawless and ejection was near perfect at right about 3:00 or so, even in the cold weather. Afterward, watched as he stripped & cleaned the bcg himself. With that small amount of shooting, that's all the cleaning we did afterward.

His wife & toddler came with him and while he and I were out shooting, my wife made homemade lasagna and garlic rolls and visited with his wife & played with their little boy; then we had a good homemade dinner before they went home, at which point my wife pulled out a second lasagna she'd made & sent it home with them. All in all a good weekend.

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Fixed the loading gate on my oldest uberti 1873 revolver today. A screw had backed out some and had to be tightened back so the loading gate would tension properly. Not a real big deal but it’s an internal screw that can’t even be seen, much less accessed or corrected, without disassembling the gun further than normal. Around six years since getting it and this is the first time any repairs or adjustments have been needed; a very fun gun. Hopefully the tensioning screw will stay put now, with the added loctite.

Also gave a couple bulk packs of 22lr each to a couple employees who were short.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Sold one more gun at the local gunshop; an old Freedom Arms "Casull's Improvement" .22LR mini revolver. Actually it sold a couple weeks ago, but I just picked up the money today. Thing was tiny & concealable, but was slow to use, inaccurate, and weaker even than the little Beretta 21 that I regularly berate for its pitiful power levels. With the cylinder gap and little ~1" barrel, it only ran 45 ft/lbs with minimags and 54 even with Stingers. Basically almost pointless. Only thing it had going for it was that it was pretty good stainless steel, which meant that it would be pointless for even longer than a blued steel version would be. :)

Got a shipping notification on the .45LC brass I ordered two weeks ago, supposed to be delivered tomorrow or monday. I've loaded the caliber for years, but never shot it in huge volumes and expect/hope that will change in the not too distant future.

Also got a small, inexpensive welder ordered from home depot; delivered today. One of my sons is a welder and it will be handy to have this around both for me to learn on and also for him to use (helping me out with things) when he visits.

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
just signed a consulting agreement and statement of work with one company, getting another one from a different company on Monday. Going to pick up some additional money for fun and projects.

just finished a drywall project. Had to make some fixes to drywall in the main garage. the patching is easy enough, trying to match the knockdown pattern on the rest of the walls is a PITA. I came close in a couple sections, should not be too bad - we will see when it gets painted. (trying to finish the out door projects before 100+ temps hit here.)

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Just finished priming 600 .30 cal carbine brass, was going to do 1,100 until I got halfway through the 600. Kind of had an attitude change. Will finish loading the casings tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
That reminds me, I need to load up a bunch of .308 that I have primed and ready to go, plus and another 400 rounds of .300 blackout that are primed.

Then I guess I’ll go ahead and throw a bunch of brass in the tumbler...

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Snowed in and now being frozen. VA called and said Covid juice is ready. Too far away to travel they say it will be at a closer location next week. I'll wait until then. Should be ready for my Wife about the same time just not at the VA. I have Deer in the back yard again eating birdseed. I put out some corn. SIL missed a SCAR 17s a guy had for sale for $3,000.00 by the time I told him to buy it the seller must have got word and upped the price. South Carolina so I couldn't jump on it myself.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Wet and windy so far. Perfect brush and clutter burning weather once the wind dies down.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Wet & gross here this morning. Supposed to be high 60's this afternoon, but 70% chance of snow on Wednesday.

This weekend a friend of one of my sons came over (as well as our sons) and tried out a Llama '1911'-ish that he had just bought used and had problems with. Would feed, fire & extract, but wouldn't eject. I didn't recognize the jhp ammo he was using at first, but it turned out to be armscor; I believe their 124-grain but not positive on that. The bullet was either really short or was just seated so deep that when I first looked at them I had to confirm that they weren't .380's; they were that short.

I showed him how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble it (no telling if he'll remember after just one time), then we went out & tried it, running a couple boxes of USA & American Eagle FMJ through it and it worked fine, ejecting fine to 3 & 4 o'clock. Thing shot quite low, around ten inches at ten yards, but at least now he's aware of it & can allow for it. I told him he might try some heavier 147-grain stuff & see if that lifted point of impact, but I doubt it'll have that much effect.

He said he only had half a box or so of ammo and didn't know what weight it was, so gave him 50 rounds of 115 fmj (what we'd been firing). Everyone should have more than a half box of ammo.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
well, finally finished my drywall repairs in my larger garage. Had some selling over the years and got a crack down one of the walls. just finished painting it, waiting for it to dry so I can move the shelving units back and pull my truck into the garage.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Not great. The Big R store where I bought my last three guns and where I stocked up on ammunition among other things like outdoor clothes, an axe, space heater etc. is closing it's doors for good. Closest store is now 70 miles away. Cold and snowy. I can hike a bit but I'm in danger of breaking my fool neck on ice patches. Inventorying gun's and ammunition. No sign of a break in the ammo drought. Remembering .22LR was four years. Wife is sharpening an axe. I wonder what that's about?

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
...Wife is sharpening an axe. I wonder what that's about?
Well, winter is coming on, so I'm reminded of the song "Partners" by Jim Reeves:

...We took our fortune to the shack
To wait the winter through
But the food ran low so I killed my friend
What else was there to do?
Nice knowing you...

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
I bought Her a new large screen TV and hooked it up to HULU and Netflix. I hid the axe. I still make sure she falls asleep before I do.

Reactions: Garand and BigEd

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I bought Her a new large screen TV and hooked it up to HULU and Netflix. I hid the axe. I still make sure she falls asleep before I do.
Hehehe...I just imagined the first time you both settle down to watch something on that new TV and it's announced "Next on Stephen King Movie Night : The Shining starring Jack Nicholson and....":laugh::

Attachments

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
...hooked it up to HULU and Netflix..
My wife discovered asian shows on HULU several years ago and has gotten hooked. She's stuck at home most days now and so spends a lot of time with the TV on. There's one Korean show that I also watch, actually a Canadian show about a Korean family that owns a convenience store in Canada called "Kim's Convenience", and one episode they started singing 'happy birthday' on the show in Korean. My wife has seen so much Korean TV she started singing along with them in Korean. That's a lot of HULU time...

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Still waiting uberti rifle to come in; supposed to be here ‘late January’, so should be soon. Did get a case of .45lc brass in, some of which will be for that gun. Gave in to my wife’s prodding and finally replaced my truck. Was 16 years old and almost 280,000 miles on it; certainly can’t complain about not getting my money’s worth out of it.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Hehehe...I just imagined the first time you both settle down to watch something on that new TV and it's announced "Next on Stephen King Movie Night : The Shining starring Jack Nicholson and....":laugh::
She has her OWN big screen. The last thing I need is an argument over programming.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Well, I used up the last box of 125gr .308 ballistic tips to be found in AZ, or on the internet. Just made another 50 rnds of the 300 blackout ammo I like to hunt with.

I need to find either ballistic tips of the hornaday equivalents. Nobody has them in stock. I have plenty of the other rounds for the 300, but I like these for javelina.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
I did buy a Taurus G3 mainly because I'm curious how these polymer guns by Taurus work. It was $350.00 OTD with two fifteen round magazines. I took it home and cleaned an oiled it then went out in knee deep snow to shoot the little bugger. The grip has an aggressive feel which I like. It also points very nice from the draw. The trigger has a fairly long pull and a bit of creep but a clean break. Recoil was mild and follow up shots were easy. The sights could be better but I had no problem acquiring them against a dark target. The gun is accurate, more accurate than I was expecting. I had no problem getting good hits even at 25 yards. I have no idea about long term reliability, but the gun is solid. I like it. I won't be switching from my CZ's for EDC, but this gun would certainly do the job. It's interesting that three day's later the gun was $370.00 plus back ground and tax. The owner told me he had exactly two left and no more self defense guns of any kind were in the pipeline except for Ruger LCP's. He had some 9MM ammunition of a brand I have never heard of. I declined 50 rounds of it at $35.99.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 99 Posts