Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
The Uberti 1873 in .45LC came in Saturday, and after trying it a couple times over the weekend, decided to go ahead and sell my .454 Puma levergun and .454 Super Redhawk as well. Took those to the local gunshop this morning along with all the factory .454 ammo I had on hand. Buy one, sell two or three... Been doing that for a while, and am enjoying it more than I should perhaps.

Now I need to check into local cowboy shooting matches and go see one or two of them. Still don't have an appropriate shotgun or holster rig for that sport, but no rush on that. I figure attending a few matches as an observer will probably help me make better choices in choosing those things.

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Friggin cold and snow this week. We’ve already lost three days’ work out of the last five, and will probably lose one or two more. In a normal winter we usually get a total of 2-2.5 inches of snow for the entire season; we’ve gotten 7-8 in the last 48 hours and are supposed to get another 1-3 tonight/tomorrow morning. Plus unusually low temps as well, it’s pretty sucky.

Haven’t lost power and will be okay if we do, so it’s not a crisis, just a problem for both us and some of our customers.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Same up north here. I've spent more on LP Fuel already than I spent last year and it's only the middle of February. I have two new handguns to wring out and I'm not going to stand in thigh deep snow to do it. Some visitors today.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
I have had better, the current Canadian government dropped the hammer on gun owners with a 70 page bill to stick it to us before they call an election sometime in the next 4 months. The good news is that the moment they call an election the bill dies in parliament. They haven't left enough time for the bill to pass through both houses of parliament, so we expect the bill to die, unfortunately if they win a federal election it will be reintroduced.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Ed - the lowest I saw here was 0; it likely hit subzero at some points, but I can’t confirm it.

Terry - animals are one of the things I’m wondering about most with this weather. I haven’t seen any at all except for domesticated ones and birds, in probably five days. There’s bound to be a lot of dead ones in the woods right now, between the freakish cold and lack of non-frozen water sources. Our pond has been frozen over completely since before any snow even fell. We let a neighbor (cousin) keep his horses in our pasture, and he & three friends initially came over to break the pond ice so the horses could drink. They’ve since given up on that and are watering them with buckets.

The potential upside is that we should have fewer insects this spring, and maybe some of the other nuisance animals will be as heavily affected as the good animals have probably been.

We had one day (Tuesday) with a fair amount of melting in sunlit areas, but even with that I still have nearly ten inches (not often I can say that... 😎 ) of snow still remaining this morning.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Water isn't a problem with the river being 10 miles away, not a long hike for Deer. We have seen all kinds of Birds at the feeders and Eagles and Hawks are in abundance near the river. Mineral blocks and some corn for the Deer also, but not too much as pure corn is not a good diet for Deer. They all .look healthy as you can see from the picture. It's supposed to get above freezing next week and I plan to start hiking and getting Winter fat off me and the Dog. I want to wring out the CZ 75 Compact and the Taurus G3 also.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Got one more gun sold this week, but this one wasn't actually mine. It belonged to my father in law who died a little over two years ago, and I put it on consignment for his widow shortly after his death. It was an old Colt model 1892 'New Army' model in .38 long caliber, manufactured in 1899. Being that its timing was worn out and also being in a pretty much obsolete caliber, it was one of two that I sold for her, rather than giving to any of the grandkids. It sat on the shelf from February 2019 until this last week before finally selling. She had forgotten all about it until I gave her the money on Sunday. It was rough & rusty when I found it in his stuff, but it cleaned up fairly well. This was after a disassembled run through the ultrasonic cleaner before putting it out on consignment.

Also still working on getting the business sold. There's so many parts & pieces in the valuation of our type of business (primarily recurring monthly revenue from monitored alarm accounts, testing and maintenance accounts, etc), that change constantly, that by the time you get everything itemized, something has changed; making it no longer completely correct. A newly-installed system, a new service or testing agreement, someone cancelling their service, upgrading their service, or whatever; it changes almost literally daily. I've about decided to accept that with more than 700 accounts constantly in play it simply can never be 100% accurate for more than a day or two; so any that aren't nailed down for selling, simply won't get sold and will just be part of what I leave to the employee-owners when we bow out.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
One more gun sold while I was out of town last week. As much as I enjoyed it over the years, my .454 levergun is no more. It was a fun gun, but for a number of years now the full-power Casull stuff hasn't been as much fun for me, and I've been using a much higher percentage of .45Colt stuff instead. I still have three long guns that I can shoot the .45Colt from, and was able to sell the .454 levergun for nearly a hundred more than I paid for it. Not enough of an increase to keep up with inflation, but at least not a true dollar loss as is often the case.

Still have one gun on consignment there (the .454 revolver), and will likely put one or two more out there in the next week or so as well.

Last week, however, was glorious. My wife & I have been trying to take a cruise since we had one cancelled last March due to covid shutdowns. Rescheduled the March one to Septermber, which was cancelled as well. Rescheduled again for November, and cancelled again. Rescheduled for this April, and found out in late January it had been cancelled too. So we finally (temporarily) gave up on catching a cruise ship, and just took a plane to Mexico. Spent all last week at the Panama Jack in Cancun, and it was great. This was our first time at an all-inclusive resort like this, and even though it was great we both decided we still prefer a cruise ship; but that's not in the cards for a while yet. That said, it was great. Highs of 82-84 every day, constant very nice breeze coming in off the sea every day, no rain or even any ugly clouds, clear skies every day, and beautiful beach & facilities. This looks like a brochure pic, but I just snapped it with my cell phone one morning:

This is the way to spend a day. In a covered four-poster bed on the shore of the Caribbean. It did not suck. Again, not a staged pic, just one I took with my phone.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
It was a good week with mild temperatures and the last of snow gone. I had fiber optic sights put on my three CZ compacts, I just shoot so much better with them. Wrung out the Taurus G3 some more. Despite the Taurus hater's I like the pistol and it and the G3C are sold out everywhere. A rumor is being spread that if you pull the trigger while applying the safety the gun will fire. Of course my question is why would you do this with any gun? I'm not trying it and other's say they've tried it and it doesn't happen. My Wife and I got our second Covid shot's, zero ill effects. it's been two weeks so maybe we can stop being hermit's. One thing I will say is we've saved more money in the last year than ever before. I'm optimistically planning our Canada Fishing trip, we'll see. The tourist industry, by this I mean Fishing and Hunting, is claiming they will have massive bankruptcies if they have to be closed for another year. They may allow people in if they show proof of vaccination.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not too bad got a dose of reality going to the gym for the first time after the C-19 closures and getting Covid-19 just before Christmas.
(I can add that to the list as to why I hate communists and those Chicom Red Diaper baby trolls in particular.)
Anyway gotta get my strength and enduranceup to pre sickness levels. Probably work on endurance first then add more weight until I'm back up to my strength level when I broke my home gym for the 2nd and last time.
Yesterday like I posted in the humor section went to the range at the Crowder Conservation Area at Neosho MO.
Checked the two dot night sights on my new Glock 17Gen3 that I named Stimulus. Shot okay elevation wise but approximately 3 inches to the left. That'll be tweaked probably next week when I hope to go again.
The SA Inc. Range Officer shot and functioned great with JHP handloads Rem 185gr kind of an old standby with me and my friends. As an aside those type are the first reloading supplies I ordered from Midway USA about 30years ago. Now that I know the thing rubs okay and shoots good. Put 2 of 3 shots on paper at 50ys first 3shots before any sight adjustment. Not bad for my ageing eyes. It's a keeper now for minor mids mainly sights and grips. Well already got different grips and yeah more mags definitely more mags.
New Magpul FDE grips.
IMG_20210325_213924379.jpg

Also zeroed or attempted zero of a friend's 700 Rifle his cousin installed the muzzle brake and someone else installed the scope base. Brake worked fine and it grouped excellently. However the 40MOA canted base did exactly as I feared and mad a 100yd elevation POA/POI impossible to obtain.
Probably back to the range next week with it.
I also shot the .300wm Milspec II of mine with the new stock. Only initial test zero at 50yds after swapping out stocks.
New stock scope combo needs eye relief and cheek height twerked. Debating between working down the bolt on cheek piece or getting adjustable one like on my friends rifle.
Anyway not a bad week at all. Hadn't made it up to that range in months.
And remember-"Ashes to ashes and dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it. It's goning to rust."😁

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Yesterday I sat in front of the TV and chamfered 374 rds of .30/30 brass that I shot last week looking for a new load for my 1901 & 1926 Winchester M1894's. By the time I had finished the last one, I took off my gloves and realized I had given myself a blood blister. Today its gun cleaning, not that exciting by with the lockdowns up here, not much is.

Earlier this week I had to drive a close friend to the hospital 3 hours away from our town for a scheduled operation, as I hadn't seen him in about 6 months the comments from both of us was how much weight we have gained, the temperatures are starting to rise up here so I'm looking at trying to burn some of this off. Oh, Terry our idiot Prime Minister is looking at keeping the border shut until at least September, due to the fact he screwed up so badly ordering the vaccines. Being the good little communist wannabe he is, he figured China would come to our aid. They told him to piss off and he kept the information secret for almost 5 months before ordering from the US.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
...yeah more mags definitely more mags.
Fwiw, while I know most people nowadays like the new, cool & tactical 1911 magazines, I've never been able to get past my love of the old-school Colt (actually made by Checkmate) 7-rounders, part number 53355B. Biggest advantages to them are the feedlip angle (which is a hybrid between the original milspec taper and the newer wilson-style parallel 'wadcutter' feedlips), and they also have JMB's true D-shaped follower dimple that helps keep the last rounds from running forward under recoil.

They're by far the most reliable 1911 magazines I own; if a gun (mine or someone else's) has problems, the first thing I do is run it with 53355B mags. If it won't run with them, it likely won't run with anything and the problem is the gun, not the magazine. I have some 8- and even 10-rounders from wilson and a couple other mfrs, but if I were carrying a full-size 1911 for serious purposes, it would be the 7-round 53355B magazines I'd be carrying with it.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Yesterday I sat in front of the TV and chamfered 374 rds of .30/30 brass that I shot last week looking for a new load for my 1901 & 1926 Winchester M1894's. By the time I had finished the last one, I took off my gloves and realized I had given myself a blood blister. Today its gun cleaning, not that exciting by with the lockdowns up here, not much is.

Earlier this week I had to drive a close friend to the hospital 3 hours away from our town for a scheduled operation, as I hadn't seen him in about 6 months the comments from both of us was how much weight we have gained, the temperatures are starting to rise up here so I'm looking at trying to burn some of this off. Oh, Terry our idiot Prime Minister is looking at keeping the border shut until at least September, due to the fact he screwed up so badly ordering the vaccines. Being the good little communist wannabe he is, he figured China would come to our aid. They told him to piss off and he kept the information secret for almost 5 months before ordering from the US.
Well that's bad news, my Son and I both got vaccinated and have our cards. We were hoping that by June we would be cleared to come. I got an e-mail from our lodge saying they were hoping the same thing, Their business was down by 90% in 2020 and they don't think most of the Fishing/Hunting lodges can take another year of loss. We'll be greatly disappointed, but they will lose their livelihood.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Fwiw, while I know most people nowadays like the new, cool & tactical 1911 magazines, I've never been able to get past my love of the old-school Colt (actually made by Checkmate) 7-rounders, part number 53355B. Biggest advantages to them are the feedlip angle (which is a hybrid between the original milspec taper and the newer wilson-style parallel 'wadcutter' feedlips), and they also have JMB's true D-shaped follower dimple that helps keep the last rounds from running forward under recoil.

They're by far the most reliable 1911 magazines I own; if a gun (mine or someone else's) has problems, the first thing I do is run it with 53355B mags. If it won't run with them, it likely won't run with anything and the problem is the gun, not the magazine. I have some 8- and even 10-rounders from wilson and a couple other mfrs, but if I were carrying a full-size 1911 for serious purposes, it would be the 7-round 53355B magazines I'd be carrying with it.
John,. You are absolutely right. I've tried the Wilson mags and sometimes they don't work with with various different 1911's.

One time from Midway USA they had some magazines marked High Standard that looked suspiciously like the Checkmate ones but nothing to confirm. Either CMI or close clone and they ran smooth using my standard 185gr XTP handload of the time.

Currently with the supply shortages I'll probably go back to casting lead bullets for the .45ACP.
I'm not considering it to be my main carry or shtf arm so 4-6 more magazines ought to be fine for now. And yeah they'll be CMI ones.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Took two more guns in to be put on consignment. Keltec P32 because it was replaced with a much better LCP years ago and has been sitting around unused for nearly a decade. And a Sig Mosquito, because it was replaced with a better Taurus TX22 in 2019. To sweeten the pot I included a 1,400-round remington golden bullet "bucket-o-bullets" with the Mosquito. Also sold the gunstore owner the extra six Mosquito mags, beyond the three to be sold with the gun, for cash.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
John,. You are absolutely right. I've tried the Wilson mags and sometimes they don't work with with various different 1911's.
Found this old pic I had years ago when someone asked about 1911 mags. The constant-tapered lips on the left are great for long-oal rounds like GI ball, and as I understand it are JMB's original design. The straight-feedlip (often called 'wadcutter' profile) in the middle is what a lot of Wilson and other current mags come with and are better for short, competition-style bullets with a somewhat short oal.

The hybrid on the right is the checkmate 53355B. IMO, they're the goldilocks "Just Right" between the GI constant-taper and the straight-walled wadcutter profile. They release the round earlier than the GI taper, don't hold onto it quite as long as the wadcutter-lip design; but at the same time, the taper lets the round angle up to the chamber, where the wadcutter style feedlip restricts the round's movement more. (The short-oal loads will often hang in the magazine with the GI-taper feedlip design because that taper holds onto the round longer and the cartridge doesn't have the feed-friendly, rounded fmj profile.) That said, some seriously-short loads will also jump out of even the Wilson mags; this happened to me one time with some really-short 160-grain loads. For whatever reason, even those loads worked from the 53355B's; I assume either because of the modified taper or because of the extra-power spring the 53355B's use.

I'm no engineer and may be misunderstanding some of the "why" they work, but they simply work; in every gun I've tried them in, even with the extremely-short-oal 160-grain rnfp loads that wouldn't work out of either the GI or wadcutter style magazines. They're the only 1911 mag I'd use for 'serious' purposes other than a couple wilson 10-rounders that I've tested enough to know that they work in my gun, with my ammo. Other than 53355B's and those couple extended wilsons, the only reason I own any other 1911 magazines is simply because I haven't gotten around to selling them off yet.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Another gun sold yesterday; the keltec P32. I quit carrying it more than a decade ago when I upgraded to the much better LCP, so it sat unused except for occasional chronographing purposes that whole time. It also could only reliably function with FMJ stuff due to the rimlock quirks of the 32acp caliber, and in the years that I did carry it, it twice broke its hammer spring, rendering it completely non-functional.

The LCP gives roughly 70-72% more power and a lot more ammo choices in an only slightly larger package, plus has never broken on me. Killed an armadillo with it in our yard 9:30 last night when coming home from church. Much better gun than the P32 could ever hope to be, and I'd definitely rather have the money than the unused P32.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts