Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
101 - 120 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Most of my gun activity is sales more than shooting lately. Another gun sold, this one the Sig Mosquito 22LR. It was an okay gun, but not great, and frankly not as good as the similar Taurus TX22. Sounds blasphemous to say, but after having both of them the Taurus is in every way the Sig's equal and in many ways its better. Better trigger, has a manual safety (that you can use or not, as you wish), factory threaded for a suppressor (as was the Sig), higher capacity, much less-oddball controls, and much better reliability. The Sig was pretty reliable, which is all that a lot of .22LR pistols really are, but the Taurus is extremely reliable. I honestly don't recall if I've had any malfunctions with it; I can't swear that I haven't, but don't recall any.

Also put three more guns out on consignment. A bolt-action Mauser in 7.62x39, a smith 5906, and my long-loved Camp-9 carbine that uses the same magazines as the 5906. Really like the Camp-9; it's been a great gun for 20+ years, but this still leaves me a CMMG Resolute carbine and Banshee AR pistol in the same caliber that not only have controls identical to a normal AR, but also use glock magazines instead of the old-fashioned 59-series mags. I included five magazines and 200 rounds of ammo each with the 5906 and Camp-9, as a pot-sweetener; and sold the remaining 59-series magazines to the gunshop owner outright.

I expect the Camp-9 will go quick. We priced it at around double what I paid for it way back when, but the way things are now it likely won't sit on the shelf long.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
One more gun sold, the Mauser bolt-action carbine in 7.62x39. Also sold off most of a case of 75-grain BTHP 223 match stuff that the gunshop owner was interested in.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
One more gun sold, the Mauser bolt-action carbine in 7.62x39. Also sold off most of a case of 75-grain BTHP 223 match stuff that the gunshop owner was interested in.
Damn John, how much .223 or other ammunition are you selling?

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Mostly guns, not a ton of ammo. 14 guns I believe so far, and probably 8k or so of ammo including this 800 rounds today. This 75-grain match stuff was some I kept specifically for one of the guns I put out on consignment earlier this week. (It was the gun I posted a pic of the other morning in the "Precision or rapidfire - can't have both" thread) I included 100 rounds with the gun, and the gunshop owner asked me about having more I wanted to get rid of. Don't plan to sell of much more ammunition, but this was the only gun I really used it in. My other guns would eat this ammo if they got hungry enough, but it's not their favorite.

Being that it still leaves me more than a lifetime supply, may help someone else who needs ammo, and he offered me a little more than I paid for it, I figured 'why not'. This lgs owner isn't jacking up prices the way a lot of places are nowadays. I've sold him other ammo recently and later saw it on the shelves for only $3 per box than he paid me for it.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Mostly guns, not a ton of ammo. 14 guns I believe so far, and probably 8k or so of ammo including this 800 rounds today. This 75-grain match stuff was some I kept specifically for one of the guns I put out on consignment earlier this week. (It was the gun I posted a pic of the other morning in the "Precision or rapidfire - can't have both" thread) I included 100 rounds with the gun, and the gunshop owner asked me about having more I wanted to get rid of. Don't plan to sell of much more ammunition, but this was the only gun I really used it in. My other guns would eat this ammo if they got hungry enough, but it's not their favorite.

Being that it still leaves me more than a lifetime supply, may help someone else who needs ammo, and he offered me a little more than I paid for it, I figured 'why not'. This lgs owner isn't jacking up prices the way a lot of places are nowadays. I've sold him other ammo recently and later saw it on the shelves for only $3 per box than he paid me for it.
I'm actually sitting pretty well with ..223, 9MM, .45 ACP and more .22 LR than I'll ever need, but my ears perk up when I hear (read) ammunition for sale. I could use some .45 Colt though. John what do you know about this Silencer Central? I've been weighing the thought about a .22 silencer now that I have three threaded pistols.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Don’t think I’ve ever heard of them. Are they like SilencerShop?

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Spent the day on the range yesterday with a brand new chronograph, much better than that Chinese made green torpedo from RCBS. Ran the chrono on about 15 different loads of .30-30, .30 Carbine , .38 Spl & .44 Magnum, then ran 4x 3 rds groups for each of them to see what they look like at 25 yds. Anything that looks promising I'll try out to 100 yds in the next couple of weeks. Good day spent 8 hours on the range.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Don’t think I’ve ever heard of them. Are they like SilencerShop?
They're advertising a lot in gun magazines. They caught my eye with a full page ad on the back of American Rifleman. You pick out a suppressor and they do all the paperwork for you. I'm going to look into it further.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
They're advertising a lot in gun magazines. They caught my eye with a full page ad on the back of American Rifleman. You pick out a suppressor and they do all the paperwork for you. I'm going to look into it further.
Here's what I'm looking at, 7 to 9 month wait. Sound about right? Should fit the TX22 and S&W, only one's I have with a threaded barrel. $535.00

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I’m not up on a lot of suppressors lately, or even the newest gun stuff in general. We’ve been so busy that I haven’t even finished my first form 1. I submitted and paid for in August, but didn’t get the acknowledgment back from ATF until late December, and by that time I just had too much going on to want to spend the time to pursue it.

Biggest consideration for me with a rimfire suppressor would be that it has to be one that you can disassemble for cleaning.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I’m not up on a lot of suppressors lately, or even the newest gun stuff in general. We’ve been so busy that I haven’t even finished my first form 1. I submitted and paid for in August, but didn’t get the acknowledgment back from ATF until late December, and by that time I just had too much going on to want to spend the time to pursue it.

Biggest consideration for me with a rimfire suppressor would be that it has to be one that you can disassemble for cleaning.
Thanks. I'll be sure to check that out.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
And my great little Camp-9 carbine is gone.

I bought it (in 2006 iirc) for $349, had the barrel threaded & put a red dot and $129 paintball-quality dbal clone on it. Sold it with five magazines & four boxes of ammo for $825. (Obviously didn't sell the Abraxas suppressor with it.) Still like the species, but having a more modern Banshee & Resolute in the same caliber that use more-common glock magazines, made it palatable to let this great old thing go.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Spent about 5 hours resizing .30-30, 6.5x 55mm & .32-40 brass for reloading. Going to hit the range again next week at try about 10 loads for .30-30 & .30 Carbine out at 100 yds. This should narrow down the list of what will work at 200 yds.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Honestly kinda sucky. Had 2nd flat in as many weeks. 12v tire inflator went FUBAR well 2 did but one needs a part not listed as a replacement.🙄
Still have my big compressor in the garage but it's handy to have one onboard the vehicle that actually works.😝
Gotta figure out why my lawn mower ain't firing up. Maybe something simple I hope.
Got my property taxes oh joy they went up! Think I know why but I need to double check.🙄
On the bright side of things I finally got in touch with one cousin in the Northern Illinois area. Found out who is and isn't still around and he may come down to visit here sometime late summer or fall.
So there's that good part ☺

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Was told this morning that two more guns were put on layaway in the gunshop, so with all the selling-off I've been doing, I decided to splurge & buy a couple specific things I've been considering. A cmmg Resolute lower to go with a Resolute upper that I mail-ordered last year. Currently the upper is on a normal AR lower and has to use modified pmags instead of normal glock magazines. This proprietary lower will let me use the glock magazines in the gun, plus free up that lower to go back on one of the few AR's I have left. Of course, CMMG warns of 20+ weeks' lead time; hopefully that's worst case and over-conservative on their part.

Also decided to upgrade the magnifier on my primary AR carbine. I've been using a Vortex, which is good, but decided to splurge and upgrade to a new Trijicon 'micro' version they recently came out with. I've been using Vortex's 'small' VMX-3T, which is 4.3" long and 12oz. This one is just 2.9" and 6.5 oz, which should be substantially less bulky on the gun when not in use, plus has better eye relief while maintaining 98% of the same field of view. Once it comes in I may change my gun from a 25/300 to a 36/300 zero; not sure yet.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
That sounds like a good plan. I've messed around with the dot and magnifier set up but kind of found it unbalanced and snaggy.
Probably just a personal thing but went to a Leupold MK AR 1.5-4x scope with green center dot. On both a 16"Carbine and one pistol. Yeah it would better if a true 1x but the 1.5x I can live with. For me the peripheral distortion is minimal and I can live with that.
But at sometime I would not mind getting that magnifier for my other pistol. It being so lightweight.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Sold two more guns; a .308 Savage 10FP-LE and 20" target-barreled AR, both extremely accurate guns.

The new magnifier also came in and it's almost crazy how small it is. Several years ago I switched from a full-size Sightmark magnifier (bought cheap at Ace Hardware; gotta love small towns in the American South) to a smaller and mostly better Vortex VMX-3T. It's been mostly good except for their unforgivable latching flip mechanism, but with the money sitting around from the (I think) 16 guns I've recently sold, I couldn't resist ordering one of the new 'micro' magnifiers from Trijicon. It's roughly the same functional specs as the Vortex - same magnification, better eye relief, almost same field of view, but is also 1.5" shorter, a lot lighter, and should (?) have somewhat better glass, being a Trijicon.

Hope to try it out this weekend, but we've been deluged with rain recently and I have several acres to mow first. A new flail mower is something else I've recently ordered, so maybe this will be the last time mowing with the nearly-worn-out smaller mower.

For comparison, the Ace Hardware Sightmark on the left, and Vortex VMX-3T "compact" on the right. The Trijicon is dwarfed by both of them.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
That looks about the size of my Sig Romeo 5 on my other pistol build

Might look into getting one.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Swapped out the magnifier on my main AR and re-zeroed it. Ordered a new (larger) mower for the property; only gun-related because it was paid for with money from selling off guns recently.

Also dropped off two more guns on consignment; a standard Rock River 1911 .45acp and Rock River 1911/2011 double-stack with 9mm and 22TCM barrels. Also sold a thousand rounds of 22TCM, a bunch of 22TCM/9mm magazines, 22TCM processed brass and .454 processed brass to the gunshop owner. No more .454 in my future, and no more TCM except the slightly shorter "22TCM9R" load that fits the glock 19 conversion kit.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Another gusold; the standard rock river 1911 45acp.

101 - 120 of 184 Posts