Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Hit the range on Wednesday, shooting .30/30 & .30 Carbine. Looks like I have a cast lead load for my 1901 Winchester M1894. Ended up very disappointed with my 1927 Winchester M94. Regarding the M1 Carbine I came out with 2 good 100 yd loads, one with cast bullets and another with TMJ bullets. Now for the cleanup!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
getting ready for a range day with some of my bolt actions... going to take the .338 out for a spin, though with prices the way they are right now, it's close to $4 a pull of the trigger - even with reloading.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I went to the range Wednesday also. Tweaked the new sights in on my last Glock 17 purchase and did a basic zero for a friend's .308Winchester bolt action. It's got a "Little Bastard" muzzle brake on it and it's got little to no felt recoil. Kind of impressive.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Worked on slowly and carefully relieving the recoil shield on the circuit judge, to make it accept the extra-thin moonclips. Got it probably 90% done and 100% functional; just need to clean up and polish a couple areas.

Also slightly modified part of the frame on the banshee’s non-standard receiver that was interfering with the Magpul BAD lever. Now it works more positively, as on other guns.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
LEOSA Shoot coming up. I'm actually good until September, but I like the Spring shooting range better. This year I'll use the new 75 Compact I bought. The CZ Kadet KIt allows me to use .22's on any of the 75 frames, so I'll shoot a couple of hundred .22's before switching to 9 MM. I know the Instructor pretty well so he'll let me shoot with the second group also, and I'll use the CZ 97b for that.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
My LEOSA qual expired last July and couldn't get it re-done due to covid shutdowns. The sheriff is a good guy and told me a couple weeks ago to just call him and he'd take care of it, but I haven't done it yet. I did get my Arkansas ccw permit upgraded to the "enhanced" version a couple years ago.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
My LEOSA qual expired last July and couldn't get it re-done due to covid shutdowns. The sheriff is a good guy and told me a couple weeks ago to just call him and he'd take care of it, but I haven't done it yet. I did get my Arkansas ccw permit upgraded to the "enhanced" version a couple years ago.
What's the "enhanced" CCW?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
What's the "enhanced" CCW?
It's a step up from the normal chl, basically with somewhat higher shooting standards and extra classroom hours. Having it allows you to carry in places that aren't covered under the normal chl that's been out a long time. Having the 'enhanced' endorsement lets you carry in churches, bars, and state govt buildings, athletic events. There are a few others, but those are the ones I recall offhand.

IIRC it became an option 3 years ago or so. I've had my chl in arkansas since the mid-90's, and just upgraded to the enhanced a couple years ago. The shooting requirements still aren't particularly difficult; I shot it with my then-new 986 revolver at the time.

Fwiw; not the range I took it at, but an overview:

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
It's a step up from the normal chl, basically with somewhat higher shooting standards and extra classroom hours. Having it allows you to carry in places that aren't covered under the normal chl that's been out a long time. Having the 'enhanced' endorsement lets you carry in churches, bars, and state govt buildings, athletic events. There are a few others, but those are the ones I recall offhand.

IIRC it became an option 3 years ago or so. I've had my chl in arkansas since the mid-90's, and just upgraded to the enhanced a couple years ago. The shooting requirements still aren't particularly difficult; I shot it with my then-new 986 revolver at the time.

Fwiw; not the range I took it at, but an overview:
That's interesting. Wisconsin has nothing like that, but concealed carry licenses are such a snap I doubt if many people would pay the money for and "Enhanced" license. I noticed the longest range is fifteen yards. Our LEOSA qualification requires four out of five hits at 25 yards, the same as the active LEO course. A lot of complaints about that, most say they would grab the patrol rifle at that range!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
The reason for coming up with the enhanced version was due to complaints from chl holders about not being able to carry at places that were prime targets for active shooters. Churches, athletic events, etc. The LEOSA qual here is as you describe; it's some state-police dictated course of fire out to 25, and the sheriff actually writes which course of fire they did that day, on your leosa qualification card. I ought to go ahead and get with him on it, but besides the fact that we're crazy busy, we're also in the middle of a mess in his jail right now - their fire alarm that was installed by someone else 30+ years ago got hit by lightning and we're in the process of trying to get it back up without totally raping the county price-wise. Naturally it's a discontinued addressable system, and it's been an ordeal getting parts for it. Once we get that behind us, I'll probably ask him about it.

I get the people wanting a carbine at 25 yards. I would too; but imo it would be a mistake to count on having it. If I were in an active-shooter situation, odds are it would be in a store, church, or college-campus setting, where the distances could easily exceed that, and could just as easily be at arm's length as well. From the platform at church (where I am most sundays) to the back door where someone would be most likely to come in, is right at 110 feet; so 75 feet isn't anywhere near unlikely. When all the antifa/blm nonsense was running full force last year I switched from my glock 43 to the HK P30SK with 13-round magazine strictly for the added capacity. Then around the first of the year I switched back to the G43, but almost immediately switched back to the P30SK. The G43 conceals a little easier, but I simply shoot better groups at distance with the HK than I do with the micro-glock.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I would MUCH rather have my Colt LE6920 in any shooting situation but the fact is in big box stores, grocery stores, and outdoor activities you may need the pistol to engage at 25 yard or more distances. I always say to people that think 25 yards it too much for a pistol to look a the distance of an average grocery aisle from one end to the other. Yes your only shot maybe that far.

Reactions: John in AR

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
One more gun sold; the Smith & Wesson 5906, along with all its magazines. Only reason I bought the 5906 years ago was because I caught a deal on it, and it could share magazines with the Camp-9 that I already had. Since I decided to sell the Camp-9 a month or so ago, I put the 5906 on consignment at the same time. Paid $289 for it with two magazines in 2014 or so, and sold it with four magazines for $699 today.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
John one thing I noticed about the older S&W handguns is they're not lagging behind at all in the collectables department.
Or as usable firearms either.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
You're probably right about the old S&W guns being more sought after now. There were newer, imo more preferable, guns in the same case with it, with lower price tags and they're still sitting there. This 5906 was a trade-in; I don't recall from where. It worked fine, but I never really used it much since newer guns with the same capacity were smaller & lighter. It spent its last several years as one of the 'house' guns, hidden with a couple spare magazines where not visible but reachable if you knew it was there. I replaced it with another gun when I put it out on consignment, and had no idea it would actually go for that much. But the world is a crazy place right now.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
What a week, on Tuesday it was a beautiful day, sun shining, no wind warm enough for just a T shirt. Myself and a friend went out to shoot bianchi plates for the morning, had a great time. Last night I asked my wife if she wanted to go shooting this morning, she looked out the window seen the inch and a half of snow on the ground and said "it better be the indoor range"! That's where we went. Snow on the May long weekend, I'm betting they are a lot of unhappy campers this weekend.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
...she looked out the window seen the inch and a half of snow on the ground and said "it better be the indoor range"! That's where we went. Snow on the May long weekend, I'm betting they are a lot of unhappy campers this weekend.
🤠 Mostly sunny and over 80 degrees (28 degrees for the 98% of the world that uses celsius) here today.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Warming up for LEOSA, I shot a few boxes of 9 MM and .45. Also, played around with a new inexpensive BSA 'scope for one of my Ruger 10/22's. $75.00 delivered and worth every penny. I sighted it in at 50 yards and was shooting dime sized groups right on target. I don't put expensive 'scopes on .22's. They tend to get banged around.

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Mostly this week rain, of all levels of intensity from mild to heavy.
Of course right the minute after I get the mower working reliably again.🙄
Luckily I have a cousin nice enough to come over and mow the front yard and part of the back before hand. I managed to get the front yard done and was starting to do the hay, yes that tall, down along the driveway when the bottom fell out of the darkening sky.😝
So far maybe just maybe it'll dry enough to mow later this afternoon.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Sold another fair bunch of ammunition to the local gunshop; stuff that I ‘could’ use but never really want to. Basically stuff that I had ‘too much’ of that particular thing, for one reason or another.

Federal 9BPLE used to be my favorite 9mm load, but I’ve gone to more modern & better-designed stuff for carry use, so sold off most I had of it; kept 400-500 because carbines really seem to like it. A half dozen boxes of 9x18 since we never shoot it recreationally and only have two pistols that shoot it, a little over 3K of .22LR AE 38-grain hollowpoint stuff since it’s my guns’ least favorite load, and the couple cases of Wolf steel-cased .223 stuff I had left on hand. I’ve given up on steel-cased stuff completely except in 762x39 and 9x18 and this seems a good time to get rid of it.

Ended up getting over 40 cents per round for the centerfire stuff, which was much more than paid for it. The 9BPLE was 27-28 cents when bought and the wolf 223 was only 15-16 cents iirc; so I sold him the rimfire for only 8 cents per round. Put $1650 in the safe, likely towards another cruise whenever they start back up. I’d truly love to see my wife on a cruise ship again, if they start back up while she’s still able to get around pretty well.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
working brass for reloading, building about 19 different .30/30 loads for 100 yd groups and generally getting ready for a day of load development next week (weather permitting). Yesterday, 3 of us old retired Army types went out to the range and spent 4 hours shooting bianchi plate. More brass made!

121 - 140 of 174 Posts