Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Had a good Memorial Day weekend. My wife's family reunion (her mom's side) is always that weekend, and as we usually do we had it at a pavilion in a park. This year to avoid the charcoal hassles we've had in the past, we took our blackstone propane griddle and cooked on it instead; and it was much simpler. Had some family in from out of state staying with us and some with my MIL, and had about 40 family & relatives total at the reunion.

And regarding Memorial Day, for any/all who have served here, thank you for your service.

Also did a bunch of home chores as well. Yard stuff and tractor stuff both, and did a little shooting yesterday as well.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Just went for a long walk in the woods with my Dog. Not a Holiday I celebrate.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
On a separate post generally too wet and semi flooded in parts around here to do much.
Need to verify zero of .300WM Rifle.
Need to check over and tune up a wood chipper I was given.
Same with another push mower.
Then I have to cut a bunch of brush and hedges down and make mulch out of it.
Weather permitting
I get more antsy I may get that Polish Pistol out of layaway.

Oh and speaking of antsy I have some insomnia problems but most are pain related in the feet and knees. Whine nope working on over coming YES!
So if I can't sleep I'll go work out. Then come home and crash out like I feel is coming on now.
Just wanted to show proof unlike someone else who never does.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Be careful Ed; taking pictures in the locker room might earn you some labels you might not like... 😎

Just went for a long walk in the woods with my Dog. Not a Holiday I celebrate.
I try to keep it different from other holidays; to me it's for commemorating; not celebrating. I was fortunate enough to not see combat, and I'm actually appreciative of that. My dad never talked to me about ww2 until I was married & had my own kids, and once he did, I came to understand why.

But totally agree with you - Memorial Day should be about appreciating and commemorating what others have gone through, not really for celebrating imo.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
Monday was a day on the range tried out about 12 different .30/30 reloads for group size at 100 yds, zeroed 3 other rifles that I have been waiting a while to do. Had the rest of the week planned for cleanup and Thursday morning bianchi plates. Then I got email that there will be an impromptu Cowboy Action match with an added long range match this weekend. I wasn't expecting the long range match until July, I guess I better get reloading!

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
Garand - you using cast bullets in the .30-30?
Yep I've tried 4 different bullets from 3 different manufacturers weighing in from 155 grain to a gas checked 175 grain. So far my 1901 Winchester M1894 loves the gas checked 175 grain with IMR 4227.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
thought about taking my M1 Garand out to the range, but got sidetracked by a few things. may take it out later this week
Dorobuta what kind of ammunition are you using? I still have hundreds of rounds of GI stuff, but there have been cautions about using bullets heavier than 150 grain without the various gas plugs. Invest in one (Their only $50.00 or so) or just stick to the 150 grain limit?

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Be careful Ed; taking pictures in the locker room might earn you some labels you might not like... 😎

I try to keep it different from other holidays; to me it's for commemorating; not celebrating. I was fortunate enough to not see combat, and I'm actually appreciative of that. My dad never talked to me about ww2 until I was married & had my own kids, and once he did, I came to understand why.

But totally agree with you - Memorial Day should be about appreciating and commemorating what others have gone through, not really for celebrating imo.
🤣😆🤣😁. Only time I have when the place was completely empty except for me.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Came way too close to buying a gun yesterday. Was in the LGS checking to see if anything of mine had sold, and I see one of the guys putting a new ruger PC9 on the shelf. For nearly two years I really (...REALLY...) wanted a PC9 because they come factory threaded, are take-down, and use glock mags, all of which are great things in a 9mm carbine. Only the fact that I bought a cmmg resolute 9mm upper late last year kept me from scarfing it up. Am currently waiting on a backordered resolute-specific lower to put it on. Currently it's on a normal AR lower and uses Pmags with conversion guts, but when the actual resolute lower comes in, it will use normal glock mags as well.

But man, it was hard to leave that PC9 sitting there on the shelf. I'd wanted one for nearly two years before giving up and ordering the resolute upper instead.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Came way too close to buying a gun yesterday. Was in the LGS checking to see if anything of mine had sold, and I see one of the guys putting a new ruger PC9 on the shelf. For nearly two years I really (...REALLY...) wanted a PC9 because they come factory threaded, are take-down, and use glock mags, all of which are great things in a 9mm carbine. Only the fact that I bought a cmmg resolute 9mm upper late last year kept me from scarfing it up. Am currently waiting on a backordered resolute-specific lower to put it on. Currently it's on a normal AR lower and uses Pmags with conversion guts, but when the actual resolute lower comes in, it will use normal glock mags as well.

But man, it was hard to leave that PC9 sitting there on the shelf. I'd wanted one for nearly two years before giving up and ordering the resolute upper instead.
A little heavier than I like for hiking, but still a handy little carbine. Easy to clean with the take down barrel and Glock magazines work fine in it. I carry a G17 with it which makes it nice to have magazines that fit both in case I get jumped by Wolves, Ground Squirrels, or Hummingbirds. I put a Tru Glo sight on it and zeroed it for fifty yards. It works all the time with any 9MM I put through it. I think it would be a handy home defense gun with an a light and a 20 round magazine.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Today I was going up to the Crowder Conservation Range but had late night visitors in the form of Arthur Rightis and his cousin Inne Somnia.🙄

Had planned to range test the fitted M-9/92 mags for the Polish Target Pistol. And check the zero on the .300WM.
Plus some general practice with my Mossberg 144.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
...had late night visitors in the form of Arthur Rightis and his cousin Inne Somnia.
Heard an old lady in a movie one time say, “I spent last night with Arthur and Ben. Arthritis and BenGay.“

Very funny movie, called “daddy’s dying who’s got the will?” Sounds morbid and horrible, but it was very funny.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Normally I would have done the BenGay thing and went to the gym and worked out until exhaustion. But I was stuck in the hopes of getting around soon enough this morning to go. Maybe tomorrow. I did a little yard work cutting up an old broken branch that finally came down from the ice storm about 10years ago.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Ordered four more of the glock 24-rd 9mm magazines, for use in the banshee (and resolute when the resolute lower comes in). Only had four of them, and they've come to be my favorite size magazine for the banshee, so wanted the same for the resolute. I wasn't aware of them until last year, but really like the balance they strike between capacity and compactness. The 15-round g19 mags are kind of low-capacity for rifle use, and the 33's are longer than I really like. The 24's make for a nice balance between the two other sizes.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
It has been a quiet week, my wife is off with her mother for 8 days so I'm batching it. Yesterday did the weekly bianchi plates with a couple of other retired guys. Working lots of brass from the past 3 weeks and signs that the covid lockdown is almost over. Clubs are starting to announce matches again. There is a 3 gun match about 3 hours from home during the 3rd weekend from July, excellent opportunity to run the M1 Carbine for the first time. I zeroed it at 100 yds last week, this week when they announced the match they said the farthest distance would be 50 yds. Good excuse to hit the range to re-zero the carbine tomorrow.

141 - 160 of 193 Posts