Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
161 - 174 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 · (Edited)
My wife wanted to go to Branson so I took Monday off work, left early on Friday and we spent a long weekend there. (I don't like to post "gonna be out of town" stuff ahead of time, only after the fact.) Didn't do anything grandiose, just shopping, eating out & general driving around looking at things, but she enjoyed getting out. Our sons are both currently in that general area, and they met us for sunday dinner on father's day, which I suspect was my wife's real reason for wanting to go in the first place. Got back early enough for me to spend some time doing minor chores around the house yesterday; now, have to play catch-up at work.

In the process of getting new contracts (monitoring, inspections, etc) in place with 730 of our customers, to help smooth things out for prospective buyers of the business, on top of it also being our busiest month of the year anyway. We do annual fire alarm testing for several school districts, and state law now mandates that all that school fire alarm testing be done and reports filed by June 30; so when the schools won't let you do testing until after the students are gone on summer break, it means that June is largely tied up with school fire-alarm testing, making it far & away our busiest month even without the contract craziness we're doing at the same time. Five-page contracts for ~730 customers, filled out, sent out to the customers for their signatures, (literally thousands of dollars in postage alone with the pre-stamped return envelopes we included), answering phone calls about the contract from seemingly half of those customers (mostly on my cell to keep some of the burden off of our office manager), receiving the contracts back, scanning them into the computer and emailing copies to our broker to document for prospective buyers that we have them on hand. So far, all are sent out, 120 are back, scanned in and emailed out, probably 80-100 more are back but yet to be scanned, and another 20-30 that are back but have to be re-done due to signatures in the wrong place, etc.

I miss when I used to work 50-hour work weeks, but it'll be worth it in the long run. The longer this drags out, the more attractive the idea of moving to either Quintana Roo or Belize looks.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Thinking about selling off two of the three M&P 9mm's I have. There's a standard, a compact, and a CORE with extended barrel; all with manual safeties. One of my sons edc's a full-size M&P 9 now, so I told him to decide which one he'd like to have, and I'd sell the others. Waiting to hear back from him now. I'd recommend the compact, but I'll let him decide.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
I just loaded on a Canadian web site this morning my 1926 Winchester M94. I bought 2 last year to see which one works better with cast lead. One does, the one that doesn't is being sold. Yesterday I expected my wife to be out all day so I decided to put together a 3 gun belt for a match next month. Since our AR's are prohibited from leaving the house, I'm putting a belt together for my M1 Carbine. Well just as I had everything spread out all over the family room, guess who comes home. It took me about 3 hours to get the kit setup the way I wanted it, she who must be obeyed was happy after I cleaned up the mess. The rest of the week was the usual Wednesday pistol practice and prepping brass.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Well Tuesday I had a pretty good if somewhat short range day.

The as I call it Calvin and Hobbes Range finally reopened last week Friday and I went there with a gun shop acquaintance who'd never been out there.

Not much really changed except the mega sized bullet trap more useful for an indoor range is gone for good thankfully.
No true pistol distance range for beginners or mouse guns.
Hours now Standard 8:00am to 4:30pn.

One thing I really love down in that hollow is the new benches for people to wait their turn on are rubber dipped expanded metal. Can see right through incase there's a snake underneath.😁

Got one rifle of mine sigted in for squirrel season. Will return for some off hand practice with it.

Sorry didn't take any pics this time out.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 · (Edited)
Been debating whether to sell my mossberg 500 for a while, and out of the blue one of my brothers told me Sunday that he recently tried to buy a 12-gauge pump at Academy that ended up being out of stock; so it worked out for both of us. He hasn't picked it up yet, but basically one more gun sold. I believe this makes number 20 now.

Found it used with no fore end for $110 at a gunshow in either 1991 or 92, added the Pachmayr fore end, replaced the damaged plastic safety slide with a slightly larger home-made aluminum one, and added the sidesaddle:

It's been a fine gun and was my only 12 gauge until probably 7-8 years ago when I picked up a 930 at a family member's recommendation. While I think everyone should own one good shotgun, I shoot mine very little, and figure there's not much point in keeping both.

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
I used a Mossberg M500ATPSP 6 shot, pump shot gun for 3 gun matches from '86 until about 2008, excellent gun it never failed me. Thought I could replace it with a Winchester M1897, I was wrong so a few years later I bought a Mossberg M590A1 (w/o the bayonet). It was a good choice. Just finished packing the SUV, leaving tomorrow and am shooting a 4 day Cowboy match plus long range. No wi fi will be available so you won't hear from me during the weekend.

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Took another gun in to put on consignment; this one a P-64 in 9x18 caliber.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I've stated my opinion of the P-64. The only C&R gun I sent back.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
I've stated my opinion of the P-64. The only C&R gun I sent back.
You didn't like the 15-pound DA trigger pull, followed by a 15-ounce SA pull? 😎

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
You didn't like the 15-pound DA trigger pull, followed by a 15-ounce SA pull? 😎
Actually I double tapped inadvertently a few times. That and the fact that it didn't recoil, it kicked like hell. The sights were impossible for me. I actually bought two P-64's figuring that I would keep one and sell the other. Both were brand new. They LOOKED great. Not only was I not going to keep one I was not going to sell one to anyone I knew. AIM took both back and gave me a full refund.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Today I got out both the Tomahawk and the Cut-more and touched up the edges a bit.
The later for a big heavy blade is pretty much shaving sharp. I say pretty much because anything that big and heavy I don't wanna drag across my skin very much if it's that sharp.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Put two more guns out on consignment; the marlin papoose and the rossi circuit judge 45/410 revolving carbine. They're both fine guns, but it still leaves me with two .45LC long guns and four .22LR long guns; more than necessary by a long shot.

Also got rid of two guns outright. The .44 magnum 16" levergun (to a family member) and gave my only muzzle-loader to one of our technicians along with a couple hundred 209 primers to go with it. I kept most of the 209's to use in the .45LC revolvers with modified cartridge cases and wax bullets.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
One more gun gone; gave one of my sons my M&P9 compact. His two carry gun options have been a full-size MP9 and a Kahr CM9, and the MP9 Compact will make a better compromise of attributes imo. Since he lives in a more populated area than we do, he's been carrying the full size M&P, which is kind of a pain even for us oafs.

Still have an MP9 full size and a ported MP9 C.O.R.E. version; will probably put those out on consignment eventually.

Also been tweaking my .300bk pistol. It's historically been good, but when switching to a new ammunition recently it started having functional issues. Not too unexpected and not ragging on the gun too much - with that short a gas system, on that short a barrel, it's just more vulnerable to any changes or influences. It has run well with the 110-grain VMAX that I've mostly carried in it and with various fmj stuff as well, but I came across a can of 130-grain Hog Hammer SCHP stuff when looking for something for someone else, and decided to switch to it from the VMAX. When trying it out along with some Fiocchi fmj stuff, it started having issues with both of them that even varying the adjustable gas block didn't solve.

Took a while (and some picking of other people's brains) to figure it out, but a heavier buffer 'seems' to have fixed it. Only tested it with a few rounds last night, but seems much better. With luck I'll get some more rounds through it this weekend to verify. Worst case, I go back to the VMAX and save the Hog Hammer for animal use, where reliability isn't as critical.

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Just got told by the LGS owner that my P-64 sold. Crazy prices in crazy times also. I bought it in 2006 for $229 iirc; sold it today for $389 with the same three magazines, so ~70% profit. That's only just enough to barely keep up with inflation, but substantially better than most of the guns (or cars, or whatever) that I've sold after owning.

I looked at some old posts to see exactly when it was that I'd bought it, and saw the price of the ammo back then:
I impulse-bought a P-64 yesterday at a gunshow, mainly due to price, the fact that it uses the same ammo as my son's Bulgy Mak, and yet is smaller than a Walther PP.

...Ran a couple mags of Sliver Bear HP thru this one when I got it home; thing kicks hard for a small gun, but that's to be expected of a pocket-size blowback gun in this caliber. I paid $5.45/50 for 9mm Mak Silver Bear HP's last time I bought a case...
I checked my spreadsheet to be sure, but Silver Bear's 115 JHP stuff left the little P64 at 1,004 fps average. That's awfully good for factory ammo in a gun the size of a PPK.

Factory-new 115-grain, 1005-fps, jacketed hollowpoint ammo for $109 per thousand. "The good old days", I guess...

161 - 174 of 174 Posts