Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How I nearly paid the ultimate price to save a few bucks on cheap ammo

I was out walking some local fields just to get out. As always I was carrying a 16 hand made bowie on my left hip, my .22 ruger single six on my right. The walking went uneventful until I was heading home.

I was walking along a old 4-weeler path when I herd a rustle in the bushes at first I thought I had spooked a deer, but it dint run. Thinking this was odd I stopped then I herd a low growl. Ohh sh*t I though to myself as what ever was in the bush came closer. This was the moment I had prepared for many times, without thought my hand went to my holster. I unsnapped the safety tong and place my hand on the but of the pistle. I slowly started to walk back. (hoping to avoid a conservation with the animal). About this time the animal appeared, it was a stay dog, the hair was matted and it look starved. It looked at me and started to run at me (he was about 15 feet away). In a flash my gun was in my hand and I cocked it with out thought, it came level with my eye. I took a quick sight and pulled the trigger. CLICK. Franticly I recocked the gun and pull the trigger agene CLICK. (the dog is way to close now) I recock the gun once more but with one hand this time, my other hand brings my knife to waist level, I never got the chance to attempt to fire at the dog a third time, TOO LATE he was less than a yard away. As soon as he was close enough I hid him hard with the pistol, he latched onto my arm with his teeth. My knife buried itself to the hilt in his chest, (I did this with out thinking).

Once I calmed down and looked down I saw the stray laying dead at my feet, I looked at my arm and saw that he only bit the edge of my arm. I took out my cell phone and called my parents and told them what matted and that I was bit. They carried me to the doctored where I got one stitch and rabies treatment. (pain in the gut).

There are two morals to this story. One NEVER skimp on ammo and two always carry back up.:twoguns:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I learned my lesson at a young age as well. Early 70's, probably 13 years old, I was walking the farm rabbit hunting in December.

Rifle was a kit-built CVA "Kentucky Rifle" in .45 caliber, so head shots were mandatory on rabbits.

Several hundred yards from the house, I see a pack of dogs coming roughly in my direction, 70-80 yards away. Feral dogs, both singly and in packs, were always a problem, as we were just over an hour's drive from Detroit, and city people were always driving out to the country and abandoning animals out there.

Didn't worry too much, as these packs generally avoided people, and stuck to chickens, geese, or occasionally calves. But the large dog in the front stopped, looked in my direction, and altered course right toward me. Being winter in Michigan, they may have been desparate; I can't say.

Regardless, I did the only thing I could think of (being a kid). I held on the large, lead dog, and let him have it with the muzzle loader. Just as I pulled the trigger, it occured to me that I was now standing there with an empty gun, and no time to reload. So as I pulled the rifle down, I pulled my sheath knife and waited to see what would happen. Fortunately, the shot connected, the big dog rolled over, and then ran off in the other direction, with the rest of them following. Don't know if the dog died or not; don't much care.

The importance of follow-up shots and "more ammo" was driven home to me VERY pointedly that day; and after that, I never went out muzzle-loader hunting without a handgun as well. Usually my .22 Ruger "standard model" (before the Mk1 and Mk2 existed), or at least one of my cap & ball revolvers.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Frankly, I dont' believe the part about

TWO clicks with an SA revolvers, and STILL have time for the knife. A SIXTEEN INCH Bowie? :) Give me a break. :) Also, one stab to the chest is REAL unlikely to suffice.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
It sounds more reasonable than many of your claims, Gunkid.

RIKA

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Did the dog actually have rabies?

Since the dog was dead and available for testing, I believe they could have determined that from the dead animal. Usually testing of the animal is preferrable over actually having the shots after a bite.

Also, 15 feet is an AWFUL short distance for a running dog. That is at MOST, two bounding leaps. Are you certain about that distance? If the distance is accurate, you are either VERY fast or that dog was running VERY slowly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The length may be off (I was estimating I never actually measured It. but I do practice quick draw with blanks in my .22, I also practice with the knife. (I practice both almost daily).

You can probably guess the adgrenilin was pumping wildly, (I physically and mentally prepared for a emergency but dint expect one)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And They din not test the dog they asked if I would go ahead and take the shoots, I have never benn scaerd of needels so it took it. I was a good hour away frome the doctor.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Get a Mosin-Nagant M44. . .if you fire all 5 rounds and they're still coming, you've got the bayonnet!

And yes, Goonkid, real Bowies, not just knives with "Bowie-style" blades, are typically 18"-24" long, and will indeed kill a run-through dog very quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts