Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have one or more semiautonatic pistols for self defense or emergency use how many spare magazines do you feel you need? I like to have a minimum of 4 and an absolute minimum of two. How many do you have?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oh man do I have to count them all? :dgrin:

Well I like to have at least 4 myself.

I've got 10 for my 2 Glock 34's and the same for my 1911's.

10 per each pistol is my goal however.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Minimum of six. That way I have 3 loaded (1 in gun, 2 reloads), and 3 "resting". They get swapped when I shoot my carry ammo.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I think that autoloading handguns should be BANNED.So it's moot.:nyah:

That or 10 working mags for each handgun.For some reason I think that 1911's should come with about 20 though.I don't know why.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
3/kel-tec p-11 [whoopeeee!]

thats it at this house.

thanks.[don't tell anybody]ha!

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
For my Colt Gov't Model 5x10rds, 6x8rds for my Combat Commander 8x9rds. For my Ruger Mk II 4x10rds.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Depends.

When I found a Benelli 40S&W at a gun show several years back, there was no way I was going to buy it until I determined that I could buy 4 magazines for it when I bought it. I had never seen one before, and as far as I know the one magazine that came with it was all there was available anywhere. If that magazine were to fail, I could be SOL.

If it is something common like a Beretta 92, heck, I think magazines will be around for a long time, so having a couple of spares is just for maintenance purposes in case one fails while I am out shooting one day.

And it depends on what I intend to use the gun for. For carry, if I should happen to find myself in a position where I would NEED to have four loaded magazines on my body RIGHT NOW, things are in a very bad way for me, and it is doubtful that having one spare mag or 20 will make any difference to the outcome. Either I am mising the target so bad I might as well give up, or there are an AWFUL lot of bad guys around me.

For plinking, I just want a spare in case the one I am using breaks and I can continue shooting with the spare and not have to quit until I can buy another one somewhere.

If the gun is just a vault queen, heck, whatever it came with from the factory should be OK, I think.

If it is for repelling invaders from a fortified bunker, then I want every magazine on the planet filled and right by my side.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I have a minimum of 6 for each semi-auto handgun. More for the 1911's. Only 3 for the Officers Model (I keep hoping they'll breed :D )

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Rich Z said:
If it is for repelling invaders from a fortified bunker, then I want every magazine on the planet filled and right by my side.

In that case, I'd just as soon have it on belts. . . :madeuce:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:
I have a minimum of 6 for each semi-auto handgun. More for the 1911's. Only 3 for the Officers Model (I keep hoping they'll breed :D )

RIKA
As much fun as breeding is. . .why not carry the flush magazine in the gun, and use the full-size magazines (or event he 10-rounders, if you can conceal them) as reloads?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Thats a darn good idea Magnum. Wish I had thought of that. Thank you.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes ir is. I pick up many very good ideas here and at PN.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Magnum88C said:
. .why not carry the flush magazine in the gun, and use the full-size magazines (or event he 10-rounders, if you can conceal them) as reloads?

That's what I was forced to do for years with my little Detonics. Only have 2 of the six-rounders (shorter even than an officer's model), and have never been able to find more, as they've been out of business for quite a while. Carried one of the factory mags in the gun, and standard 1911 mags for backup.

Back on topic:

Glock 26 - four 10-rounders
Glock 19 - three "pre-ban" (hah!) 15-rounders, five "LEO" (hah! again) 15-rounders, two ten-rounders, and two 31-rounders; all of them Glock factory mags. Obviously, these will also work in the Glock 26.
1911's - seven or eight probably. All seven-rounders.
Detonics - two 6-orunders, but will also use the 1911 mags
Ruger Mk2 - two 10-rounders
Beretta 21A - two 7-rounders
HP-22 - two 7 (or 8..?) rounders
KelTec P32 - just one 7-rounder

Rifle:

AR - thirteen 30-rounders and four 20-rounders; all govt milsurp
AK - eight 30's and five or six 5-rounders (paid $2 or $3 each for the 5's, iirc)
M1 carbines (2 guns) - ten used milsurp 15-rounders, and six unused milsurp 15's still in wrappers. Just bought these six (three for each gun) at this weekend's gun show, and plan to keep them NIW for the foreseeable future.
CZ .22LR's (2 guns) - four 5-rounders total
Ruger 10-22 - four 10-rounders, but figure to add some 30's once the prices drop some.

Do believe that's it.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Minimum of three but the more the better if you plan to keep the gun and do any real tactical stuff with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts